Max towing weights for motorhomes

Campfos

After some advice here my present motorhome can tow 2000kgs according to the V5 and the conversion plate in the door jam that gives you the axle weights. Now on the fiat axle plate under the bonnet it gives you 2500kgs. The max axle weights are the same on both plates 1850 and 2000kgs.

I know you would have to load the trailer so as you don't exceed these axle weights.

Now I have just bought a miniature steam engine with trailer that weight a fraction over 2000kgs, so I have problem either I change the trailer for a lighter one or change the motorhome.

So I know some Mercedes sprinters can tow 3500kgs with the heavy duty towbar fitted, does anyone know if you can tow 3500kgs with any other van type conversion motorhome.

Now I did ask at a local motorhome dealer and they basically laughed at me which was not very helpful they were of the opinion you can only tow about 1000 kgs.

Hi Campbell,

The original Fiat towing limit of 2,500 kg will have been reduced by the converter probably because of an extended rear chassis.

As an example our Sprinter based AutoTrail has a towing limit of 2,500 kg but the equivalent Fiat based models only have a 1,800 kg limit.

Can you easily remove some part of the model engine to get the weight below 2,000 kg?

Keith.

Thank you for the reply.

I could get by with a 2500kg limit so the Mercedes route looks a go way to go.

The layout of the Lunar landstar RL looks good to me

The trailer I have is box trailer so kind of reluctant to change that out as I can also store the engine in it.

Only advice I can offer is that towing with a rear wheel drive is better than a front wheel drive.

Also some thought has to be given to the nose weight of the trailer in relation to the m/home towbar recommended weight. From memory the nose weight of a trailer should be about 7% , Most m/homes I suspect have a towbar limit of 75 Kgs or so. so an approximate 7% of your trailer and load could become a problem say 7% 0f 2500kg = 175kg . ?????????? This plus the weight of the towbar could become say 200kg, This inturn could become 225 on the rear axle loading and the front axle load become 25kg lighter

4 wheel trailer is more stable than a 2 wheel trailer, but has more pitch so can make the rear of the towing vehicle dance if the noseweight is too light.

Takes some thinking about.

Rgds

Contacted both Lunar and Autosleepers by email.

Now received answers the lunar build on the Mercedes max limit is 2000kgs.

But the Auto Sleeper Warrick XL build on the Peugeot boxer chassis is 3000kgs which I found a big strange but that has Al ok air top suspension on it, so don't know if that makes the difference over the Fiat Ducato.

So I now think I will look at that van as that's the max I have found so far.

Many thanks for everyone's input.

Campfos - 2016-10-26 6:42 PM

Contacted both Lunar and Autosleepers by email.

Now received answers the lunar build on the Mercedes max limit is 2000kgs.

But the Auto Sleeper Warrick XL build on the Peugeot boxer chassis is 3000kgs which I found a big strange but that has Al ok air top suspension on it, so don't know if that makes the difference over the Fiat Ducato.

So I now think I will look at that van as that's the max I have found so far.

Many thanks for everyone's input.

Gross Train Weight (GTW) must also be taken into account, not just the stated towing limit. It will be the highest figure given on the VIN plate, and is the maximum permissible weight of the laden van plus the laden trailer. What you can legally tow is the lower of the GTW or the towing limit. I don't think GTW can readily be increased, if at all. It is a limit set by the vehicle manufacturer and is based on the maximum load at which the vehicle can comfortably start on a hill of a pre-defined gradient. See also this Wiki link: http://tinyurl.com/zkvgu62

Thanks for all the views on this subject.

Does anyone know the legal position with the gross train weight on the Fiat vin plate as against the converters plate. Which one would the authorities go by as the towbar is connected to the fiat chassis using extension bars.

Now been round a few motorhome dealers and it's a question they can't really answer in some places I am showing them where to look for the Vin plates. But there is a lot of people tow things with Motorhomes.

Motorhomes are completed in stages, and the converter is the "finisher", so their plate becomes the one that sets the legal limit on GTW. The other plates are there to show what was changed. Changes are made in consultation with the other contributors to the build. Where the finisher changes the GTW, therefore, it will have been in consultation with Fiat (or whoever manufactured the chassis) and, if relevant, AlKo or others involved with suspension or transmission modifications.

Good afternoon,

If its a panel van conversion then the plate under the bonnet fixed by the vehicle manufacturer and the gross train weight must not be exceeded ,therefore you would need to go to a weighbridge to get a tare for the van on its own then deduct that from the gross train weight. It would stand to reason that a coachbuilt would tow less due to the overhang.

norm

Good day All,

I am really surprised how many motorhome dealers don't appear to know very much about the GTW of the Motorhomes they sell. As my quest to get a motorhome than can tow my little Foden steam engine in its trailer. The best people I have contacted so far have been Auto sleepers as the gentleman there sent me a copy of the certificate of Conformity for the Peugeot Warrick XL. with gives the GTW of 6500kgs which gives you a towing weight of 3000kgs based on the motorhome being 3500kgs. So now looking to get one of these XL vans.

Thanks all for your input.

As per my post above, all XLWB Sevel panelvans are Maxi vans and have 3000kg towing limit.

Some LWB can be specified as Maxi vans (I think Adria Twin and WildAx have this option plus no doubt more makes) and these will also have 3000kg towing limit.

tonyishuk - 2016-10-26 3:21 PM

Only advice I can offer is that towing with a rear wheel drive is better than a front wheel drive.

Also some thought has to be given to the nose weight of the trailer in relation to the m/home towbar recommended weight. From memory the nose weight of a trailer should be about 7% , Most m/homes I suspect have a towbar limit of 75 Kgs or so. so an approximate 7% of your trailer and load could become a problem say 7% 0f 2500kg = 175kg . ?????????? This plus the weight of the towbar could become say 200kg, This inturn could become 225 on the rear axle loading and the front axle load become 25kg lighter

4 wheel trailer is more stable than a 2 wheel trailer, but has more pitch so can make the rear of the towing vehicle dance if the noseweight is too light.

Takes some thinking about.

Rgds

I do hope all scooter rack dealers/manufacturers/fitters take note of your trailer nose weight comment of "75Kgs or so" especially the 'vans with chassis extensions.

Archived