Peugeot Boxer cab battery 'recall'

Steve928

If you have a recent (as far back as 2012 seem to be affected) Boxer chassis then you may have the wrong starter battery fitted.

If you find a 680A battery in the box then Peugeot will replace it FOC with a 950A.

Note: ignore the typo in the attached letter which states 950Ah. These are 'cold cranking amps' that we are talking about.

It seems to be a widespread problem - haven't come across anyone who has the correct battery yet. My own van exhibited quite slow cranking on a frosty morning with the smaller battery.

950battery.thumb.JPG.043587bb1159727494295feaac37e252.JPG

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's good info Steve and well worth noting.

It seems that this is what they call a 'service bulletin' rather than a recall as it seems to be up to the customer to make the case to Peugeot rather than Peugeot recalling every vehicle so if anyone is tempted to wait for an official recall notice I doubt it will happen?

A Peugeot dealer should, but might not, check it when the van is in for service or other work so a gentle reminder should help to focus their minds on it.

It looks like a really good opportunity for some owners of vans from 2012 onwards to get a new battery foc and how often does that happen on a 3 year old vehicle?

I could be wrong?

Tracker - 2015-04-28 1:25 PM

It seems that this is what they call a 'service bulletin' rather than a recall

Yes, indeed.

I gather that Peugeot sent the above letter to the converters who in turn should have notified their dealers, who again in turn should have notified their customers, us.

I haven't heard anything from my dealer yet but was made aware of this via the Facebook Bailey owners group - many members have now had their battery changed.

I have just checked my September 2013 build Boxer (Auto Sleeper Warwick Duo) and it has the 680A battery fitted.

A call to my local Peugeot Dealer is indicated in the morning. Thanks to Steve928.

I will report back with results.

Idle curiosity, but what Ah capacity are the CCA 680A batteries marked as having?

A CCA of 680A would be appropriate for a 70Ah to 80Ah starter-battery, but not for the 95Ah battery one might anticipate finding. Having said that, it APPEARS that a 75Ah starter-battery may have been the normal factory-fitment for certain 2011-2014 Peugeot Boxer models with the 2.2litre HDI 110 motor.

I’m tempted to believe that Peugeot’s ‘Battery Bulletin’ mixes terms and that - while CCA 680A batteries (of 70Ah-80Ah capacity) may have been incorrectly fitted - the replacement battery will be a 95Ah one with a CCA of 800A-850A.

A far as X250 and X290 Boxer/Ducato/Relay models are concerned, all I can suggest is that owners lift the removable cab-floor panel that covers the starter battery and check how the battery is marked.

The battery that came with the van was 85Ah 680A.

The replacement is 110Ah 950A.

Interestingly my old 2008 Boxer 100bhp had the larger battery from new so perhaps it has always been Peugeot's policy to fit the larger battery to motorhome chassis. The smaller battery seems to be the correct white van fitment according to online searches.

Our 2013 Autocruise Alto with the Peugeot engine has this battery fitted, we have rang the Dealer and we have had to send a copy of that bulletin as they haven't heard anything!! watch this space.

Thanks by the way for the information.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-04-30 7:34 AM

Idle curiosity, but what Ah capacity are the CCA 680A batteries marked as having?

I have just been to look, which was quite difficult, because the marking was hidden by the clamp on the +ve terminal of the battery. The answer in my case is that the 680A battery is shown as being 12 volt and 95 A/H

Still seems odd...

My understanding was that X250 Fiat Ducatos with the smaller diesel motors were factory-fitted with a 95Ah starter-battery, whereas Ducatos with the 3.0litre motor had a 110Ah battery. I would have expected a Boxer to be the same - small motor=smallish battery, big motor=big battery.

I have just spoken to the service department at Elim Llangefni Peugeot dealer, he very kindly rang Peugeot on our behalf, and he was informed that it only affects the Motorhomes with the Stop/Start system fitted. Has anyone else had any further information.

many thanks

Lynne

lynneroy - 2015-05-01 10:02 AM

I have just spoken to the service department at Elim Llangefni Peugeot dealer, he very kindly rang Peugeot on our behalf, and he was informed that it only affects the Motorhomes with the Stop/Start system fitted. Has anyone else had any further information.

many thanks

Lynne

I would contact Peugeot customer services, I doubt many new motorhomes have the stop start feature and I do think this started to be available from 2012.

I contacted customer services and a new battery is to be fitted next week and I do not have stop start.

I first contacted Peugeot where I go for services and they said no recall I explained it is not a VOSA recall but a service bulletin he still said there was none.

We have just had an e.mail asking for the mileage , we rang them with that 9.000 + the young lady said they would probably have the battery by Tuesday, but I will believe it when I see it, when I read back about this stop start engine thing! Im glad we don't have it as our car has it ! this one is brand new but the mini only worked on S>S when the battery was fully charged hubby switches it off every time he gets in.

The bulletin that I posted in post #1 was sent from Peugeot to Bailey. It makes no mention of stop-start and Bailey have never supplied a motorhome with the stop-start feature so that appears to be a red herring.

It’s possible (I suppose) that Peugeot is now standardising on a 110Ah starter-battery for X290 Boxers, as these can be fitted with a Stop-Start feature, and I could understand that Boxers fitted with an 85Ah CCA 680A battery in error might need that replaced. What I find a mite peculiar is that the replacement for the 85Ah battery is to be a 110Ah CCA 950A one irrespective of the vehicle’s powerplant or specification, though I guess that would make some sense if Peugeot has now decided to standardise on the big battery.

It’s probable that the X290 Ducato gets a 110Ah battery if it has a Start-Stop system and it would be normal for that capacity battery to be factory-fitted to Ducatos with the 3.0litre motor. But X290 Ducatos with the 2.3litre motor and without the Start-Stop feature have a factory-fitted 95Ah CCA 800A battery - which is the capacity and CCA Amperage I’d expect for that specification.

We spoke to Peugeot about this today. According to them it's mainly motorhomes supplied to Bailey and you need to prove that you ordered one with the bigger battery in order to get it fitted now. It isn't available if you ordered one with the 680A battery. It isn't a recall as such, more that the wrong battery was supplied for some orders.

Clearly there are some discrepancies in what Peugeot PR has had to say and what's in the letter from the Customer Services so we welcome people getting in touch if they get a battery exchanged and never specified the larger sized one. Drop an email to mmm@warnersgroup.co.uk please.

I am just back from Robins & Day Stockport after having a 950A battery fitted. My Warwick Duo does not have the Stop / Start system fitted and indeed this was never mentioned either by R&D or Peugeot.

My sole knowledge about this matter comes from Steve928's original post and after reading it, I contacted R&D and they pursued the matter with Peugeot direct. I have not spoken to Peugeot Customer Relations at all.

Whatever the facts of the case and who specified what, for which motorhome, I am a happy camper, as I have a nice new uprated battery (and it's my birthday today).

Evidently there's some confusion in the Peugeot ranks regarding this issue, Duncan. I've just done a quick scan of the Facebook Bailey owners group and I'd estimate that of the 200 or so members around 50 have had their battery replaced or have replacement scheduled for next week, mine included. I'm not aware of a cab battery option on the Bailey pricelist; they don't really do options. I think that the only factory option for the Autograph range remains an optional upholstery fabric. All very bizarre.

We have been contacted again by Simon Bailes they asked first if we had a Bailey! anyway the upshot is we wont be getting a new battery fitted, the young lady asked if we wanted a number for Peugeot but we aren't going to bother unless we have problems then we will be back.

The size of any starter-battery that can be installed beneath the cab floor of an X250/X290 Boxer/Ducato/Relay vehicle is limited by the physical dimensions of the battery-compartment.

To the best of my knowledge two sizes of battery may be factory-fitted. The (nominal) length/width/height dimensions of the smaller standard battery are 353mm x 175mm x 190mm (BCI Group Number 49), while the (nominal) l/w/h sizes of the larger standard battery are 394mm x 175mm x 190mm (BCI Group Number 95R). Any battery significantly longer than 394mm, wider than 175mm or higher than 190mm just won’t fit in the battery-compartment.

A BCI Group Number 49-size starter-battery can be expected to have a capacity of around 90Ah and a CCA of 800A, while a BCI Group Number 95R-size starter-battery can be expected to have a capacity of around 110Ah and a CCA of 900A. It’s evident that the quoted CCA figures for both sizes can be higher or lower, but a CCA of 680A for a ‘BCI 49’ battery would be unusually low and (as I suggested earlier) more in keeping with a physically smaller/lower capacity battery.

As Peugeot are saying that the 680A battery is incorrect for Boxer cabs, it’s reasonable to assume that any Boxer with one has the ‘wrong’ battery. As plenty of Boxer-based motorhomes seem to have the 680A battery and (in accordance with Peugeot’s bulletin) some owners have already had that battery replaced with a 950A version, if I were in Margaret’s shoes I’d be demanding a credible explanation as to why my Boxer-based motorhome’s 680A battery fails to qualify for replacement. As Steve mentioned in his original posting a starter-battery with a CCA of 680A may well start to struggle in very cold weather.

(This has the flavour of the ‘juddering’ business, with poor communications between the vehicle manufacturer’s customer services department and vehicle owners producing unnecessary confusion. As Steve suggests, the idea that a buyer of a Bailey motorhome might choose to opt for a battery with a 680A CCA is ridiculous. There is undoubtedly a reason for the Peugeot Boxer Battery Bulletin having been issued but, so far, Peugeot has yet to provide it.)

Archived