Scotland North 500

Mike P

Unless you are a very experienced and confident driver there are some roads that are narrow with passing places and steep and twisty, particularly the Pass of the Cattle and in and out of Applecross and along the North Coast, which some have said can be a bit of a handful especially given the reversing limitations of towing a trailer.

Try this one.

it is definitely worth taking al.slight detour on the the Black Isle (just north of Inverness). The C&CC site at Rosemarkie is literally right next to the sea. A walk (or very short drive) up to Chanonry Point at about an hour after low tide is likely to be rewarded with a view of Bottlenose Dolphins hunting wild Salmon.

:-D

If towing a car means that you can't easily reverse then you are going to cause some mega hold-ups and bad feeling around the Applecross peninsula in particular. The locals are getting pretty fed with the traffic, after all it's a small minority who benefit from the increased tourism that the NC500 has generated.

I'd recommend going directly through to Shieldaig and leaving the car there then retracing your steps to go around the peninsula without it and pick it up later in the day.

Or even better leave the van in Shieldaig and take the car around Applecross as presumably that's exactly the kind of thing you're towing it for.

Steve928 - 2018-01-16 1:44 PM

If towing a car means that you can't easily reverse then you are going to cause some mega hold-ups and bad feeling around the Applecross peninsula in particular. The locals are getting pretty fed with the traffic, after all it's a small minority who benefit from the increased tourism that the NC500 has generated.

I'd recommend going directly through to Shieldaig and leaving the car there then retracing your steps to go around the peninsula without it and pick it up later in the day.

Or even better leave the van in Shieldaig and take the car around Applecross as presumably that's exactly the kind of thing you're towing it for.

I agree 100%. The Bealach na Ba to/from Applecross is a must do ..... but not with a car on the back ...

I note that the OP resides in Cumbria. Perhaps if not already done he should take his car over Wrynose and Hard Knott passes from east to west. That would be a good introduction for Bealach na Ba

I have driven over Bealach na Ba five times in the last 50 years, the last twice being last year. On our way north we ascended into low cloud and had difficulty spotting the passing places between us and the lights of an approaching vehicle.

We made a return trip in fine weather and the opposite direction a few days later. The road was busy. We were struck by the poor road manners of many car drvers who were obviously not experienced in driving on single track roads. Some were unwilling to wait at passing places, while others came in groups with no passing places between them. Consider what happens when two such groups meet. Close to the summit we encountered one car at a bend. The driver was reluctant to reverse into a passing place immediately behind him, and seemed to think that I should risk grounding by driving over a small rock.

Our PVC is 5.6 metres long and will fit into passing places.

If you go to North West Scotland expect rain, mist and midges, but fine weather does occur.

Alan

I went over first about 10 years, all ok , my motorhome is 6.9mt.Last April i went over again so much traffic not enjoyable. My advice would be camp at Sheildag and go over in the car. Sheildag nice stop , honesty box on gate, water tap and public toilets down by beach. Also shop and nice pub/resturant there.

bodach - 2018-01-18 5:59 PM

Go somewhere else. Motorhomes are an antisocial menace on this route. It used to be ok but pressure of numbers means that I certainly will no longer go anywhere near this invented route.

I’m afraid I have to agree with Bodach. Traffic has increased out of all proportion on these narrow Highland roads making commuting for locals a nightmare in Summer.

Unfortunately some visitor drivers have no idea how to proceed, let alone reversing into narrow passing places. There is also occasionally no regard for tailbacks caused by visitors admiring the scenery at 30mph. Locals suffer having to drive at the pace of the leading campervan causing massive impatience and ill feeling. We all like to think we are blameless in this respect. Sadly that’s not my experience.

blaven - 2018-01-19 9:54 AM

Go somewhere else. Motorhomes are an antisocial menace on this route. It used to be ok but pressure of numbers means that I certainly will no longer go anywhere near this invented route.

I’m afraid I have to agree with Bodach. Traffic has increased out of all proportion on these narrow Highland roads making commuting for locals a nightmare in Summer.

Unfortunately some visitor drivers have no idea how to proceed, let alone reversing into narrow passing places. There is also occasionally no regard for tailbacks caused by visitors admiring the scenery at 30mph. Locals suffer having to drive at the pace of the leading campervan causing massive impatience and ill feeling. We all like to think we are blameless in this respect. Sadly that’s not my experience.

What a load of nonsense this is. Once you get anywhere north of Applecross there is no traffic. I have been here may times, including August, and my last visit, September 2017, the place was deserted. Much is made of the pass to Applecross but it is an easy drive providing you take it easy and look ahead, it certainly does not even begin to compare with the harder alpine cols. The only bad driving I have come across is local farmers, white van man etc, visitors seem very aware of the need to take care on these road and are well aware of the need to let others past. I have never understood the need to tow a car, buy a caravan, but I have seen caravans over this pass and on the road out of Applecross round the headland, they seem to have no trouble.

I was on the parts of route 500 last may/june, but chickened out of the applecross bit, having viewed in on youtube. Generally ok solo but wouldnt want to tow anywhere round the route with a few exceptions..

plenty of passing places , complete with idiots who expect to use them for viewpoints and take their pictures, instead of allowing traffic flow as designed.

locals in the area are not amused when passing places are otherwised used, and generally welcome tourists with money to spend, but less welcoming to those who want free overnights wild camping..

park up the van on a proper site, and use the towed car separately, for days out, and remember that a passing place is provided for THAT purpose.

one problem was that club sites were generally fully booked, so be prepared, book well in advance.

enjoy it including the midgies (we were lucky, they didnt find us).

Tonyg3nwl

rupert123 - 2018-01-19 11:28 AM

What a load of nonsense this is. Once you get anywhere north of Applecross there is no traffic. I have been here may times, including August, and my last visit, September 2017, the place was deserted. Much is made of the pass to Applecross but it is an easy drive providing you take it easy and look ahead, it certainly does not even begin to compare with the harder alpine cols. The only bad driving I have come across is local farmers, white van man etc, visitors seem very aware of the need to take care on these road and are well aware of the need to let others past. I have never understood the need to tow a car, buy a caravan, but I have seen caravans over this pass and on the road out of Applecross round the headland, they seem to have no trouble.

Well.......it seems then that we must disagree. Your impressions garnered on occasional visits here must obviously outweigh my experience of living and driving in the Highlands all year round for over 13 years.

The Bealach route to Applecross is now further compromised by teams of cyclists who aspire to ride uninterrupted up and over together with their support vehicles. One has only to experience this once to understand local crofters and delivery van drivers’ frustration at having their often tight schedules interrupted by tourists who have little or no stake in the local economy.

blaven - 2018-01-19 6:09 PM

Well.......it seems then that we must disagree. Your impressions garnered on occasional visits here must obviously outweigh my experience of living and driving in the Highlands all year round for over 13 years.

The Bealach route to Applecross is now further compromised by teams of cyclists who aspire to ride uninterrupted up and over together with their support vehicles. One has only to experience this once to understand local crofters and delivery van drivers’ frustration at having their often tight schedules interrupted by tourists who have little or no stake in the local economy.

Delivery van drivers, where he hell were they going. As for living in an area this does not mean much most rarely explore, how often do you go on holiday here. As a matter of interest how many times have you done this route. I have done it fully twice, once clockwise, once anticlockwise. Once in June, once in August, last year in September I did the west coast section. As for tourists having no stake in the local economy this nearly made laugh outright, tourism is just about the only local economy apart from a few heavily subsidized farmers. Still now we know scotland does not want us, pity I was planning another trip in May, will now re-think this.

rupert123 - 2018-01-19 10:14 PM

Delivery van drivers, where he hell were they going. As for living in an area this does not mean much most rarely explore, how often do you go on holiday here. As a matter of interest how many times have you done this route. I have done it fully twice, once clockwise, once anticlockwise. Once in June, once in August, last year in September I did the west coast section. As for tourists having no stake in the local economy this nearly made laugh outright, tourism is just about the only local economy apart from a few heavily subsidized farmers. Still now we know scotland does not want us, pity I was planning another trip in May, will now re-think this.

Rupert, Rupert......it IS possible to have a friendly difference of opinion without throwing one’s toys out of the pram you know! The tone of your comments is aggressive and hectoring, and you do yourself no favours in this respect.

First of all I concede your point about tourism being important to the economy. My remarks were badly put. However, it cannot be denied that most campervans carry much of their supplies on board (myself included), and stop to stock up on basics such as bread and milk, and the occasional pub meal out. We do not contribute as much as, say, B&B users.

Secondly you have little idea of the infrastructure of rural Highland communities. We are dependent largely on internet shopping for most things. These purchases are delivered to us by various parcel delivery firms who have to deliver a daily cargo, covering a huge mileage. We are dependent on these drivers who can drive quickly and skilfully over roads which they know intimately, down to the last pothole. I have found them to be unfailingly courteous as long as this courtesy is reciprocated. They are in generally poorly paid and need to turn around their loads as rapidly as possible in order to maximise their earnings. There are fleets of white vans travelling throughout the Highlands every day, from Tesco deliveries to motor parts for every minor garage and repair business. They need to get through to service our communities. I hope this explains your comment “delivery van drivers, where the hell were they going”?

Your arrogant assumption that, because I live in the Highlands, that does not mean much, and “rarely explore” I won’t even dignify with a comment.

I will concede that I don’t need to travel this North Coast 500 because, again, I’ve done it before in quieter times. I feel no urge to ‘join this club’.

In general there are no farmers here on the West Coast, only crofters. I had to smile at your “heavily subsidised” assertion. These guys scratch a living from the land and sea, whilst holding down another job or sometimes two. They are multi talented and I respect them greatly merely for surviving in what can be a harsh environment.

I note with interest that you’ve taken such great offence to my earlier post that you say “now we know Scotland does not want us”. Sorry, does that mean just you, or everyone else?

It will be sad if you decide to cancel your intended tour in May, but in all honesty I can’t imagine the Scottish Tourist Board being much exercised by your decision one way or another.

Hope this helps.

I've been watching this thread from the start, interested to see others opinions of the NW500.

I have been "doing" the route for years, in parts and rarely in its entirety. I travel parts of the route 3 or 4 times a year, in our m/home or on motorbike, but only in parts.

The scenic route has been spoiled by car clubs who travel together, at speed, and have no knowledge or understanding on how to use passing places. You can navigate the route in a motorhome, quite easily, but probably best doing it clockwise, travelling the same direction as most of the tourists. Just take a breath when you see half a dozen cars speeding towards you, give way to them, and move on, concentrating on the scenery.

Though it's been spoiled by its popularity, that does not mean that it should not be visited.

I will be back again this year on at least 2 visits, but I will only be doing parts of it, by van and bike. The sights are just too good to ignore.

There is now an alternative to the NW500, its the Northeast 250, www.northeast250.com. Just as scenic, loads of historic places to visit, and distilleries, what could be better.

By the way, everything Blaven said in his last post was spot on, 100%. Thought of going into politics (lol)

Two very good post by Blaven and the Clampits - oops - sounds like a 60's pop group.

The suggestion of going around clockwise - not like John Clees I hasten to add - makes sense too, although I am not yet convinced it will help a lot?

Driving a big van is one thing and that alone would not faze many of us who are confident with their vehicle size and own ability to reverse it, but towing a trailer as well is quite another thing given the road space needed and that oncoming vehicles may often be unaware of the trailer.

Thanks for the mention of the NE250, I had not heard of it before and it looks like an interesting if maybe a bit less extreme tour. https://www.northeast250.com/

Alanb - 2018-01-17 11:35 AM

I note that the OP resides in Cumbria. Perhaps if not already done he should take his car over Wrynose and Hard Knott passes from east to west. That would be a good introduction for Bealach na Ba

I found the roads in Scotland much safer than Lake Disrict or Cornwall. Not least because there is much less overhanging greenery.

Hard Knott is hardest from West to East. Narrow hairpin bends on very steep hills that would defeat even some cars if they are front wheel drive. Defeated my X2/50 maxi van but I think I could have done it going East to West. Bealach na Ba is much easier. No problem at all for my van. But I still wouldn't want to do it in a FWD motorhome towing a car.

blaven - 2018-01-20 7:56 AM

Rupert, Rupert......it IS possible to have a friendly difference of opinion without throwing one’s toys out of the pram you know! The tone of your comments is aggressive and hectoring, and you do yourself no favours in this respect.

First of all I concede your point about tourism being important to the economy. My remarks were badly put. However, it cannot be denied that most campervans carry much of their supplies on board (myself included), and stop to stock up on basics such as bread and milk, and the occasional pub meal out. We do not contribute as much as, say, B&B users.

Secondly you have little idea of the infrastructure of rural Highland communities. We are dependent largely on internet shopping for most things. These purchases are delivered to us by various parcel delivery firms who have to deliver a daily cargo, covering a huge mileage. We are dependent on these drivers who can drive quickly and skilfully over roads which they know intimately, down to the last pothole. I have found them to be unfailingly courteous as long as this courtesy is reciprocated. They are in generally poorly paid and need to turn around their loads as rapidly as possible in order to maximise their earnings. There are fleets of white vans travelling throughout the Highlands every day, from Tesco deliveries to motor parts for every minor garage and repair business. They need to get through to service our communities. I hope this explains your comment “delivery van drivers, where the hell were they going”?

Your arrogant assumption that, because I live in the Highlands, that does not mean much, and “rarely explore” I won’t even dignify with a comment.

I will concede that I don’t need to travel this North Coast 500 because, again, I’ve done it before in quieter times. I feel no urge to ‘join this club’.

In general there are no farmers here on the West Coast, only crofters. I had to smile at your “heavily subsidised” assertion. These guys scratch a living from the land and sea, whilst holding down another job or sometimes two. They are multi talented and I respect them greatly merely for surviving in what can be a harsh environment.

I note with interest that you’ve taken such great offence to my earlier post that you say “now we know Scotland does not want us”. Sorry, does that mean just you, or everyone else?

It will be sad if you decide to cancel your intended tour in May, but in all honesty I can’t imagine the Scottish Tourist Board being much exercised by your decision one way or another.

Hope this helps.

As far as I am aware this just a difference of opinion and I stick 100% to what I say. You grossly exaggerate the amount of traffic involved, been stuck in the backwoods to long I guess. 'Fleets of white vans' is what you state, well I have never seen more than the odd one and again I say what are all these fleets doing, above Skye there is nothing there.As for saying scotland no longer wants us it is you that agreed with Bodachs comment 'stay away'. Farmers/crofters call them what you want they are heavily subsidized for their size. Anyway we are never going to agree so I will leave it there. By the way the scottish tourist board thought up this route so I am sure they would be delighted to see your comments, I guess you are not involved in the tourist industry which desperately needs people.

Thank you blaven for bringing some reality to this saga of tourist vs local drivers. Nobody has yet mentioned the menace of those who never use their rear view mirrors or else just ignore the tail of traffic behind them. I live and drive in a tourist area and the most hated I think are those I just mentioned who will not pull over to let faster traffic past. Little mention is also made of the clubs who race round in groups of up to 20 or 30 vehicles and also are an antisocial menace on the NC 500. While I do live here I have travelled widely on business all over the UK so let us not have any jibes about local yokels with no knowledge of the outside world.

rupert123 - 2018-01-20 1:50 PM

Rupert. Thank you for your contributions to this debate. It’s been illuminating. Yes, we have to agree to differ.

However, before we sign off, could I possibly counsel you on your approach to posting? I would respectfully suggest that you dispense with gratuitously offensive ‘throwaway lines’. I’ll give you an example: “been stuck in the back woods too long I guess”.

You know nothing about me other than my current location. Your comment therefore is based on ignorance. It is ill founded, ill bred and lacking in grace.

I hope you can accept my observations in the constructive spirit in which they are offered.

Best wishes in your future travels.

blaven - 2018-01-20 7:56 AM

Hope this helps.

As far as I am aware this just a difference of opinion and I stick 100% to what I say. You grossly exaggerate the amount of traffic involved, been stuck in the backwoods to long I guess. 'Fleets of white vans' is what you state, well I have never seen more than the odd one and again I say what are all these fleets doing, above Skye there is nothing there.As for saying scotland no longer wants us it is you that agreed with Bodachs comment 'stay away'. Farmers/crofters call them what you want they are heavily subsidized for their size. Anyway we are never going to agree so I will leave it there. By the way the scottish tourist board thought up this route so I am sure they would be delighted to see your comments, I guess you are not involved in the tourist industry which desperately needs people.

I intend to do this route and more next year in a Boxer campervan,though i would’nt like to do it towing another vehicle. I live in Somerset where half of the back lanes are narrow or single track so that aspect is’nt confined to Scotland(except for the views). What is universal is either the reluctance of people to reverse or just their inability to do it. I recently did 2800 miles around New Zealands islands,now there is a great test for single track,twisty,you name it roads ,in a 7.5m motorhome. Now that country is really set up for campervans etc. The biggest problem i encounted was trying to park it in supermarket car parks.

Oh dear! I do seem to have stirred up a bit of a hornet's nest.

The object of the small car is to be able to leave the van out of the way and use the car to visit the out-of-the-way places. I certainly won't be towing the car over to Applecross!

Alanb:

Yes I do drive the Wrynose/Harknott route 5 or 6 times a year, both ways, and lots of other tourist routes around Cumbria & North Yorkshire, so I appreciate the problems tourists cause.

I did once go over in an Autohomes Camelot with 4 up and had to stop at Cockley Beck Bridge to allow the brakes to cool down.

Mike P

Archived