Split charge relay clicking

Bray

Split charge relay clicking  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have a cbe charger system and solar panel control ,I have fitted a lifos lithium leisure battery and reset the solar panel to gel battery at 14.4 volts and the main charger too .The lifos engineer said the optimum charging voltage is 14.3.The problem I have is the cbe split charge relay starts click on and off continues when leisure battery is fully charged with no electric hook up on only solar .The only thing I can think is one battery on leisure is lithium and other is lead acid should I sent charger on sol,ar to lead acid.

Can anybody help me please

I seriously hope there is at least a BMS between solar regulator/charger and battery. Or are you saying whoever installed the battery just swapped it from a lead battery and said it will be fine on gel setting?!

Bray - 2019-05-15 4:14 PM

...The only thing I can think is one battery on leisure is lithium and other is lead acid should I set charger on solar to lead acid.

And are you saying that you now have TWO leisure batteries, a lead acid and the lithium wired in parallel?

Keith.

Apart from the possible and undesireable mix of different battery types, as alluded to by Keith, may I address the CBE split charge relay operation.

The correct method of connection for the CBE system is to supply it with an Ignnition switch controlled input. This input is then monitored by the CBE Distribution Board DSxxx, and operates the split charge relay only when the system voltage reaches about 13.6V. I cannot understand how you can hear the relay click, when the engine is running. If the split charge relay operates when the engine is not running, and you have not left the ignition switched ON, then the CBE system is wired incorrectly.

If the CBE split charge input was connected directly to the starter battery B1, and that battery was being charged, the it is quite possible for the split charge relay to operate. With the split charge relay contact closed current may flow from B1 to B2. The voltage at B1 could drop to the point where the relay releases. From memory I would expect this to be at about 12.8V, but to accommodate changes in battery construction this relay release point could be different.

Alan

The lithium lifos battery has it own built in charger management system and the cbe split charge unit only has 3 connections one live from leisure one live from engine and a ground and a green led light and yes you can hear in constantly clicking in and out

Does the solar charge the starter battery as well as the leisure battery?

If so it is possible that the solar output to the starter battery is above 13.6 V and hence closing the relay but then as soon as the two batteries are connected in parallel the voltage falls below 12.8 V and the relay opens.

Measure the voltage at both the starter and leisure batteries with a digital multimeter and see if you can spot any cycling in the readings.

Keith.

I think the cbe split charger monitors leisure battery and when voltage rises above about 13.4 volts it then puts a small charge to engine battery .what I can’t understand is why in constantly clicks in and out about 3 times a second when leisure battery is fully charged as soon as put load on leisure battery all ok tried checking volts but not sure what looking for

Is the split charge relay incorporated in a CBE distribution board e.g. DS300, of which there are several versions, or is it a stand alone voltage sensitive relay? If you are referring to a DS300 then it will also contain your 12V distribution fuses for lights, pump, heating, etc. I am not aware that CBE make a stand alone VSR, but then you live and learn. If what you have is in fact a DS300, then I would expect the monitoring connection to be separate from the main battery connections.

Alan

Bray - 2019-05-15 9:12 PM

Its a stand alone volt sensitive unit about 50mm x 50mm unit

Thanks for that information. The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is that the VSR is responding to electrical "noise" generated by the B2B, but that suggestion could be quite incorrect.

Sorry, but I do not think that I can be of any further help.

Alan

In 2016 the CBE CSB2 device was discussed here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fitting-and-cable-help-please-/43734/

I think using the term “split charge relay" for this device is potentially confusing, as its original purpose was to allow a motorhome’s starter-battery to receive 12V charge when the vehicle was on 230V hook-up, when the motorhome’s original electrical system lacked that capability.

If the CSB2 did not click on and off prior to the lithium battery being fitted, then it can be assumed that the battery change is to blame - or perhaps the CSB2 has developed a coincidental fault. Might be worth experimenting by changing the solar charging setting to lead-acid, but it may just be that the latest battery/equipment combination will cause a CSB2 to behave as it is doing.

• 2 years later...

Archived