VW Trooper T4

David2204

Am looking for some advice on my Trooper which has developed a fault and we cannot resolve the issue. It feels like the vehicle was being held back while travelling have replaced coil, plugs, leads, distributor,,Spenser,and Ecuador.still have an intermittent problem much more in a lower gear,up travelling fast no problem

Does anyone have any suggestions please ?

You say high speed running is OK but how fast. The power required as speed rises goes up with the square of the speed. At a guess the flat out speed for a two litre petrol T4 is towards 90 mph but only just over half power is m needed for a legal 70mph. Going uphill/ accelerating full power is often required. Assuming the ignition system is in order the engine needs to be fed with air and fuel. Both are filtered have these been checked/ changed during servicing.

If memory serves the accelerator is only connected to a potentiometer that tells the computer you want more power but does not open the throttle directly. Te amount of fuel injected is governed by a device that detects the airflow into the engine and if this restricted so is fuel and power avaliable

Another possibility is that the throttle cable requires adjustment. there should only be a very small amount of travel before the pedal starts to move the cable.

Has the engine On Board Diagnostics (OBD) system been interrogated. It holds a record of fault codes.

I've owned all the T models in my time and there was one that gave me horrendous difficulties. And I cannot remember which it was !

As far as I can recall it was when the engine was moved to the front and still air cooled. I believe the fuel sensor was moved into the exhaust system (sounds odd) but the choke system would engage whenever it wanted to.

Meaning that it would drive at the incorrect fuel supply for 30 miles and more and refused to correct itself either by stopping for 10 minutes or racing like hell, it never adjusted.

Then it suddenly corrected itself for no reason. I changed this one very quickly. Sorry I cannot remember dates.

Apart from last of the the T 2.5 ( the brick shaped one) that had a water-cooled engine and the very last of the South American built bay window type all rear engined VWs were air cooled.

The first front engined Transporter was the T4 with diesels water cooled as they have been ever since.

As far as my under standing goes the European 'Bay' VWs were rear mounted air cooled engines,the later brick shaped VWs were also air cooled and then became water cooled with the engine in the rear and a radiator up front.

The South American 'Bay window' models had a rear mounted water cooled engine with a radiator up front disguised behind a dummy front mounted spare wheel. The new body designed VWs with the front mounted engines,diesel or petrol are all water cooled.

Doesn't help the OP but may help clear up the confusion.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived