Steep hill towing dilemma

CornishGaa

Hi CornishGaa,

Unfortunately, as you may have gathered, the Caravan side of the forums does not get much, if any, use! Hence the lack of replies to your question.

The only thing I can suggest is to try with both cars and see which one handles the caravan and steep hill best. My gut feeling would be the 4wd Suzuki as the Hyundai would be front wheel drive and I suspect would not have the traction on the front wheels to cope.

Let us know how you get on please.

Keith.

At 1 in 3, and assuming you can't get a run at the drive but will have to enter slowly, plus a question as to whether you would reverse the van up or tow it up (leaving car potentially trapped behind van) I don't think I would contemplate using either vehicle. A Land Rover (or similar 4 x 4) with a low ratio gearbox, possibly.

My father in law had a steep drive, a caravan, a fwd car, and and a car port under which he kept the caravan. He solved the problem by getting a mechanical winch and winching the caravan up. That way, the clutch on his car was not under threat! A power wince would be even easier! :-D

CornishGaa - 2021-10-17 10:20 AM

I have a one in three tarmac drive and a 700kg Compass Echo caravan. I have a choice of two cars: a 2wd Hyundai ix20 with a towing capacity of 1300kg or a 4wd Suzuki Ignis with a towing capacity of 1000kg. Which is best for the steep drive

Unless your 4wd has a switchable to rear wheel drive option, rear wheel drive is best for towing, so maybe a change of car is on the cards?

A power winch is a good idea but the price may make you wince - so a manual winch is another option?

Archived