Drone chaos at Airport

StuartO

I suppose we're going to get copycat attacks at other airports next.

My grandson has a £1500 drone which has amazing functionality and if he was inclined to overfly an airport runway, night or day, I'm pretty sure he could do it. I'm sure he could dodge in and out and hide too, causing chaos for hours or even days if he wanted to. Fortunately he's pretty responsible about the way he uses it.

I suspect it's going to be quite a challenge (and quite a cost) to develop and install reliable technology to prevent attacks like these, even if some drones do have built in geofencing clealry the defence system will need to be able to deal with those which haven't. No idea whether the Army has the means to deal with airport-invading drones but I suspect not.

Drones possibly operate on known radio freqencies and I wonder why jamming their reception has not been tried, especially when they are airborn and away from both their operator and other people? The loss of the drone might be a good incentive not to do it?

There was a drone expert on the radio at lunchtime who reckoned these drones shouldnt be able to overfly airports because of some technology that stops them overflying the airport and he reckoned they must have been tampered with to bypass this.

I dunno why the coppers just didnt shoot them down. They say they were worried about stray bullets but all they need is a couple of big four bore shotguns (The kind used to hit Geese). Job done.

Channel 4 news led with it tonight Alan and it's certainly looking very serious. Caused chaos through all flights to and from Gatwick with all planes having to be grounded affecting thousands of passengers.

Apparently ministers have been slow to re-act.....after all they've got far more serious issues to contend with over two words. *-) But now they've brought the military in. The rate we're heading the country will end up as a military dictatorship!

Probably it's a test run to get passengers used to airline "travel" if the loony lot get their way. A British guy from Nigeria said Gatwick is more like a third world country so it looks like the loony lot have started early in their desire to become "third country" citizens. (lol)

https://www.channel4.com/news/drones-leave-tens-of-thousands-stranded-at-gatwick-as-military-brought-in

Bulletguy - 2018-12-20 9:14 PM

Channel 4 news led with it tonight Alan and it's certainly looking very serious. Caused chaos through all flights to and from Gatwick with all planes having to be grounded affecting thousands of passengers.

Apparently ministers have been slow to re-act.....after all they've got far more serious issues to contend with over two words. *-) But now they've brought the military in. The rate we're heading the country will end up as a military dictatorship!

Probably it's a test run to get passengers used to airline "travel" if the loony lot get their way. A British guy from Nigeria said Gatwick is more like a third world country so it looks like the loony lot have started early in their desire to become "third country" citizens. (lol)

https://www.channel4.com/news/drones-leave-tens-of-thousands-stranded-at-gatwick-as-military-brought-in

Yep I was right ... Its all Brexit fault

Barryd999 - 2018-12-20 5:31 PM

There was a drone expert on the radio at lunchtime who reckoned these drones shouldnt be able to overfly airports because of some technology that stops them overflying the airport and he reckoned they must have been tampered with to bypass this.

I dunno why the coppers just didnt shoot them down. They say they were worried about stray bullets but all they need is a couple of big four bore shotguns (The kind used to hit Geese). Job done.

Something like Coropral Jones rocket launcher in Dad's Army :D

People tend to forget that whatever you fire up into the air comes back down again with similar force.

If they are shooting birds they do it over unpopulated private land

Hard enough to hit an aircraft, let alone something the size of a drone.

I read British anti aircraft gunners in the Blitz did more damage than the Luftwaffe - but of course it would all be blamed on them..

Even when they had no chance of hitting German planes they were told to keep firing to keep up morale

John52 - 2018-12-21 12:00 AM

antony1969 - 2018-12-20 5:22 PM

Prolly summat to do with Brexit

You can only spin Corbyn's alleged 'silly woman' remark for so long before you need another diversion from Brexit chaos

Stupid Woman actually ... You concentrate on looking after those housing crisis kids youve put up or go back to sleep ... Choice is yours

The RAF have a standing need to defend their airfields and that's what the RAF Regiment exists for, so if they had been keeping their planning and provision up to date (and the politicians had allowed them the budget) they would presumably have been able to turn up at Gatwick with a ready-made solution. Electronic warfare (eg jamming radios etc) has been going on for years and is well advanced by now as a military activity but whether it has been developed for protecting airports from the wide variety of drones which might turn up is another matter.

In practice the RAF won't have been given the money, or certainly not in good time, so that turning up ready and equipped wasn't an option and both the police and the military were left with having to wing it using what they've already got. Likewise the various Ministries involved will be discovered to have had their fingers well and truely in, and will have done little of no planning for drones - and their excuse will be the pressures of Brexit. The Army have however been called in and they, bereft of suitable technology, may be simply occupying ground around the Gatwick perimeter, with the aim, perhaps, of shooting drones down if they are seen. But that presents safety issues because shotguns are short range and high muzzle velocity rifle bullets go a long, long way and land somewhere still going fast enough to kill someone when they miss the intended target, so that's not straightforward. Nor, it's clear to see, have Gatwick Management planned for this situation; either that or their plan was fanciful and didn't work. Maybe they had done as little as planning to close the airfield on site of a drone and call the police.

So we're left with the need to prevent more drone flying by this particular baddie by deploying overwhelming numbers of police and troops around the Airport - and unless we do the same at all the other big airports, the baddie will still have the option to move to another one. The companies which do offer potentially useful technology will presumably be rubbing their hands with glee - and might even have planned this attack for their commercial purposes, to generate the business which will now almost certainly come their way. It might of course turn out to have be a coordinated attack by the Russians or Chinese but it might also turn out to have been a single environmental activist, possible with only one drone and working from the boot of his environmentally friendly car.

The news this morning is that Gatwick has reopenned so presumably someone has decidied that one drone, a mere speck in the sky, can do limited damage, so it's reasonable to crack on with some flying.

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2018-12-21 12:27 PM

There seems to be a competition going on at the moment between the Brexiteers and the Remainiacs to see who can talk the most nonsense.

;-)

To be fair the Remoaners won that competition years ago :D ...........

StuartO - 2018-12-21 8:25 AM

So we're left with the need to prevent more drone flying by this particular baddie by deploying overwhelming numbers of police and troops around the Airport - and unless we do the same at all the other big airports, the baddie will still have the option to move to another one.

Exactly this point was raised on the Vine programme this morning which asked the question, why shut down only Gatwick when those things can be landed, packed in a car boot and pop up at Heathrow (30 minutes away) with incoming flights every 30 seconds.

This news, along with our silly parliament, has gone global and a US guy posted a link about a case there involving a man who shot down a drone over his house because he suspected it was "spying" on his 16 year old daughter sunbathing! Gun guy got arrested for wanton endangerment and criminal mischief only for the judge to dismiss all charges against him in court.

Quite a funny story really.

https://www.cnet.com/news/judge-rules-man-had-right-to-shoot-down-drone-over-his-house/

Police now identified "persons of interest".

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/21/gatwick-airport-reopens-limited-number-of-flights-drone-disruption

If charges are brought it won't be the first case. This chap got done four years ago after his drone lost radio contact and went rogue. Unfortunately for him it cost him £4,300! 8-)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/02/uk-first-drone-conviction

pelmetman - 2018-12-21 2:41 PM

There seems to be a competition going on at the moment between the Brexiteers and the Remainiacs to see who can talk the most nonsense.

;-)

I knew I could rely on Dave to post an example to prove my point.

;-)

malc d - 2018-12-21 8:34 PM

pelmetman - 2018-12-21 2:41 PM

;-)

I knew I could rely on Dave to post an example to prove my point.

;-)

He doesn't do logic when he's sober but one glass of wine and he's off with the fairies in his parallel universe.

If the DM is to be believed!

"Police had been seen with an off-the-shelf DJI system that tracks drones.

It is thought that the Gatwick drone was hacked or a non-DJI UAV.

Army technology was then brought in to tackle the UAV with the 'Drone Dome'.

The British military bought six of these systems in 2018 for £15.8 million. They are used in Syria to destroy ISIS UAVs and have a range of 2.1 to 6.2 miles."

Well that worked out well didn't it? £15.8 million quid couldn't outsmart the Gatwick Drone. :-|

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6519211/The-2-6m-Israeli-Drone-Dome-Army-used-defeat-Gatwick-UAV.html

Archived