Dual voltage TV

nightrider

Anyone out there with a dual voltage TV? if you are on site you would use the mains power, but what if you had no mains power and you were using the 12 volt side, where do you plug it in? in your cigarette lighter socket?

As the ciggie socket is ran off your vehicle battery there could be a danger of flattening your battery? in my van, the cupboard where the TV lives there is a 240 socket, the TV ariel socket and a 12 volt socket which is a part of the vans 12 volt circuit powered by the leisure battery.

The optional 12 volt cord that came with the TV has a socket that fits into the ciggie lighter, the socket in the TV cupboard is for a square two pin plug which I have, so, if I take the ciggie plug off the cord and fit the square two pin plug it should work off the 12 volt leisure battery side, yes?

So, the ciggie plug is centre positive so as long as I ensure I fit the wires in the correct order all should be well.

The TV is working on 12 volt when connected to the ciggy lighter, what do our learned members think?

Ps, when I connected the TV to the ciggie lighter the plug got quite warm????

Malcolm,

The 12v socket in out TV compartment is marked 'Max 5 Amp' so check what yours is and see if you have possibly blown a fuse. If the ciggie plug was getting warm then I would think you are drawing more than 5 Amps.

Keith.

malc d - 2009-05-25 8:05 PM

Malc

We don't take a TV any more but we often use this adapter to run things off the 12 volt system:

( Is this the kind of thing you need ?)

malc d

The adapter that you show in your picture has the same square two pin plug that I have that needs fitting to the 12 volt cord that came with the TV, the the black cylindrical end on the pic that you sent is a female end of a ciggie socket fitting, I will call in at Maplins tomorrow and buy the particular end that fits into the TV so that I dont have to damage the original cord by adapting it.

I want to do it in such a way that there are no unsightly wires, my mate has done something like that connected directly to his leisure battery and it looks awful.

I am very wary of doing any adapting with wires in my van, a couple of years ago we were at the Volksfest at the Three Counties Showground, a guy bought and fitted a CD player from one of the stalls.

He must have fitted it wrong and it set his wiring harness on fire, within five minutes his van was a raging inferno, a salutory lesson when messing about with wires.

Hi, we used the ciggy lighter socket the first time we tried our ac/dc tv and it blew the fuse in the ciggy lighter style plug. Since then we have used an adapter as pictured by Malc d, which we plug into a 12v socket . We did manage to buy a lead with the correct end to go straight into the TV and the other end straight into the 12v socket, but that way it was not protected by a fuse. If your lead that came with the TV has a ciggy lighter style plug on it, I'd stick to that, at least you'll know its fused which may protect the tv should anything go wrong?

malc d and Josie,

I read both your replies with much care and attention, I made up a fly lead as shown in malcs picture and I took notice of Josies warning regarding a fused end.

When the TV is in its cupboard both plugs, 240 and the 12 volt are left plugged in and the TV takes its power from whatever plug is 'live' 240 when on site and 12 volts when you dont have access to mains power so there is no messing about.

When I tried the TV plugged into the ciggie lighter socket I was concerned that the plug got quite warm, using the system that malc suggested the plug is cool, so I seem now to have the best of both worlds, thanks for your info.

Archived