You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  General Chat -> Chatterbox
Jump to page : First 1 2 3 NextLast
Format:  Go
Grey waste
AuthorMessage
userVic
Posted: 17 June 2007 7:30 PM
Subject: Grey waste

Keeps coming back for more

I've just spent the last three nights on a CL in Devon. A lovely farm with great views over Salcombe bay. On arrival, I filled up with 'fresh water' from a tap I had spotted. The next morning, I saw a guy emptying his Thetford Cassette into a cesspit next to the tap I'd used. No real worry here as all the fresh water came from the same source on the farm. Anyway, I asked him where I could dispose of grey waste. He told me that he'd been using this site for 15 years along with many other caravanners and that it was normal to dispose of grey waste in the hedge. In fact, one of the caravans had a hose coming straight from it's waste point going directly into the hedge. Seemingly, the site owner was quite happy with this. So, is grey waste not as dangerous as folks make out? Can it actually assist the local flora? I suppose it can. After all, during drought seasons I'll water my garden with bathwater or washing up water. One assumes then, that if there is a hedge nearby it can be the perfect spot to ditch the grey waste?
userchas
Posted: 17 June 2007 8:03 PM
Subject: RE: Grey waste

Epic contributor

In my opinion Vic, this happens on many sites and I can see no other alternative for it if nothing is provided by the site owner. I always scatter the waste and make sure it is done as far away as possible from any pitches. chas
usercaraprof
Posted: 17 June 2007 8:34 PM

Distributing grey waste along a hedgerow was encouraged years ago. After all, what it is but a bit of dirty water, often with food scraps mixed in?

An even better system was to take up a square foot of turf and dig a hole a few inches deep. Fill the hole with rocks, which act as a filter, and feed your waste pipe straight in to it. Your waste water soaks into the ground and when you leave simply take out a few rocks and replace the turf.

userRich
Posted: 17 June 2007 9:14 PM

Just joined

i dont bother doing anything, it comes out of a pipe underneath the caravan somewhere, i know this because i can hear it splattering out.

The grass is green under my van
userBazza454
Posted: 17 June 2007 9:20 PM

Epic contributor

Rich - 2007-06-17 9:14 PM i dont bother doing anything, it comes out of a pipe underneath the caravan somewhere, i know this because i can hear it splattering out. The grass is green under my van

Wouldn't expect anything less from a "tugger".

userhowie
Posted: 17 June 2007 11:04 PM

Not advocating draining waste water directly on to the ground as this will prove less than appealing to the the next unit that occupies your pitch and may result in children coming into contact with greasy remains and soap suds, but nothing wrong with throwing it into the hedgerows, especially in dry periods. If no facililties are on site there's not much else you can do really.
usercaraprof
Posted: 17 June 2007 11:12 PM

Bazza454 - 2007-06-17 9:20 PM

Rich - 2007-06-17 9:14 PM i dont bother doing anything, it comes out of a pipe underneath the caravan somewhere, i know this because i can hear it splattering out. The grass is green under my van ;-)

The one thing that I hate the most since buying my motorhome is the attitude of some of my fellow motorhomers, exemplified by this person.

Why does anyone think that people who choose to tow a caravan are somehow inferior than those who drive a motorhome? It's a disgraceful attitude and says a lot more about the people who think like this than it does about any caravanner.

That said, how does he actually know that the man tows? He says 'caravan' but many motorhomers use this generic term for their motorhomes. If it turns out that he actually has a motorhome, will he then be OK?

Edited by caraprof 2007-06-17 11:14 PM
userGJH
Posted: 17 June 2007 11:18 PM

Epic contributor

When we stay on sites where there is a proper drain we make a point of using the drain but when we go to re-enactment events where we are parked up in a field we - and everyone else - have no alternative but to use hedgerows or a rough area where nobody parks or pitches a tent.

I bet there's some lovely nettles growing where we emptied the buckets at Lulworth 6 weeks ago

Graham
userhowie
Posted: 17 June 2007 11:35 PM

Caravan to motorhome is a natural progression Frank and most bad habits are usually ironed out by the time we reach the latter stage which might explain Bazza,s comments.
userRich
Posted: 17 June 2007 11:50 PM

Just joined

Oh i see, i thought he was calling me a w**ker

Yes it is a caravan, probably one of the most inferior on the road too, a 2005 Freedom Discovery Microlite LE

But we love it.
userhowie
Posted: 18 June 2007 12:00 AM

Tugger/W****r. Towing a Microlite entitles you to either handle Rich. Don,t go reading to much into this motorhome/caravan thing. Just a bit of a windup to see who comes out "spitting feathers" first.
userpeter
Posted: 18 June 2007 12:20 AM

caraprof - 2007-06-17 11:12 PM

Rich - 2007-06-17 9:14 PM i dont bother doing anything, it comes out of a pipe underneath the caravan somewhere, i know this because i can hear it splattering out. The grass is green under my van

The one thing that I hate the most since buying my motorhome is the attitude of some of my fellow motorhomers, exemplified by this person.

Why does anyone think that people who choose to tow a caravan are somehow inferior than those who drive a motorhome? It's a disgraceful attitude and says a lot more about the people who think like this than it does about any caravanner.

That said, how does he actually know that the man tows? He says 'caravan' but many motorhomers use this generic term for their motorhomes. If it turns out that he actually has a motorhome, will he then be OK?

Well said that Frank. I am the same person I was when I also was a tugger. We don't need bigots like this guy. What's so special about a Motorhome that elicits replies like that.
userpeter
Posted: 18 June 2007 12:22 AM

howie - 2007-06-17 11:35 PM

Caravan to motorhome is a natural progression Frank and most bad habits are usually ironed out by the time we reach the latter stage which might explain Bazza,s comments.
If you don't mind me saying so Howie. That's B*llocks.
userhowie
Posted: 18 June 2007 12:27 AM

Meant to be b******s Peter and please try to pay more attention to whats going on.
usermichele
Posted: 18 June 2007 8:23 AM

Grey water at least thats only a little worry .
I was sitting at the traffic lights in a cue the other day in EAST LONDON .Near the new Olympic Stadium ...Minding me own . I look to the pavement and some Lady well some thing pulled her long skirt up and pee'weed all over the pavement with all of us car drivers watching in horror . He friend was with her and she just stopped stood with her kept on the conversation and waited till she had finished . without a look of shame or nothing she pulled up her draws and moved on.

No they were around 45.50ish .apparently its law intehir country if you need a pee you just pee...Your worried about a little GREY WASTE...
I know what I would rather wake up to...

Edited by michele 2007-06-18 8:24 AM
userchas
Posted: 18 June 2007 8:56 AM

Epic contributor

Those blasted dogs do it as well. Dont forget also Michele our liberal leaders proudly tell us that Britain is a multi culture society so what can we expect.

Edited by chas 2007-06-18 9:01 AM
usermichele
Posted: 18 June 2007 9:04 AM

I think its bloody discusting I mean when in Rome ....This just serves to get peoples backs up more.

i'm all for showing compasion and empathy to people from war torn countries but Thats IT! had enough now...
userCliveH
Posted: 18 June 2007 9:20 AM

Lord of the posts

There was a report in one of the mags last summer that one site in the south east (where they had a hose pipe ban until quite recently) had asked for the grey water to be put on the flower beds.

Seems sensible to me given the situation last year.

But a bit pointless now given the fact that it is absolutely hissing down outside!
usermichele
Posted: 18 June 2007 11:43 AM

Clive ,
I agree whats wrong with a little water .All them floaty bits of food I don't let them go down my sink I get rid of them in the bin first .
Some people buy them plug gard things that do the job for them..
userBazza454
Posted: 18 June 2007 12:14 PM

Epic contributor

Rich - 2007-06-17 11:50 PM Oh i see, i thought he was calling me a w**ker Yes it is a caravan, probably one of the most inferior on the road too, a 2005 Freedom Discovery Microlite LE But we love it.

Don't use that particular word.

The fact that you just dump your grey water onto your pitch and can't be bothered to discard properly into a portable container is pure laziness.

usermichele
Posted: 18 June 2007 12:23 PM

bazza,
i did mean in a sensible place I'm not advocating that I just leave the tap open where ever I feel like it .. I meant the plants bushes in the dry weather ...
userBazza454
Posted: 18 June 2007 12:34 PM

Epic contributor

michele - 2007-06-18 12:23 PM bazza, i did mean in a sensible place I'm not advocating that I just leave the tap open where ever I feel like it .. I meant the plants bushes in the dry weather ...

M,

Understand and agree with that.

My comment was to "Rich" who just discards the grey water onto his pitch.

usermichele
Posted: 18 June 2007 12:36 PM

Hope he takes his wellies then !
userhowie
Posted: 18 June 2007 12:42 PM

Often know there,s a motorhome ahead as soon as you leave site. Once past the gates you just follow the trail of water. Hmmm.
userBazza454
Posted: 18 June 2007 1:19 PM

Epic contributor

caraprof - 2007-06-17 11:12 PM

Well at least you're predictable - I would have taken bets that you would respond with your usual "holier than thou" attitude.

My comment was based on my experience of using hundreds of sites, over many years throughout Europe.

I have lost count of the number of times I have been on sites where caravanners have allowed their grey water to empty onto their pitch rather than collect in containers and dispose of properly, it's obviously a chore that a small number of them don't enjoy. During this time I have only ever seen one motorhome do the same, and the poor chap didn't realise until he investigated and found that the grey water tank was cracked.

userBazza454
Posted: 18 June 2007 1:25 PM

Epic contributor

Well said that Frank. I am the same person I was when I also was a tugger. We don't need bigots like this guy. What's so special about a Motorhome that elicits replies like that. >

The same person - Mmmm

Edited by Bazza454 2007-06-18 1:25 PM
usercaraprof
Posted: 18 June 2007 1:32 PM

You don't seem to understand oh thick one! I'm not the one who thinks that I'm holier than anyone. That was you. You are the one remember who implied that you are better than "tuggers" and no matter how much you now wriggle "The moving finger writes and having writ" as Omay Khayyam once said.

If you don't understand that, look it up or ask someone, even one of those dreadful "tuggers".

userBazza454
Posted: 18 June 2007 1:48 PM

Epic contributor

caraprof - 2007-06-18 1:32 PM

You don't seem to understand oh thick one! I'm not the one who thinks that I'm holier than anyone. That was you. You are the one remember who implied that you are better than "tuggers" and no matter how much you now wriggle "The moving finger writes and having writ" as Omay Khayyam once said.

If you don't understand that, look it up or ask someone, even one of those dreadful "tuggers".

Predictable again - Here comes the Bile.

userDave Newell
Posted: 18 June 2007 2:43 PM

Forum master

"I have lost count of the number of times I have been on sites where caravanners have allowed their grey water to empty onto their pitch rather than collect in containers and dispose of properly, it's obviously a chore that a small number of them don't enjoy. During this time I have only ever seen one motorhome do the same, and the poor chap didn't realise until he investigated and found that the grey water tank was cracked."

You've obviously not walked around the camping areas of an outdoor motorhome show then as more do just let it run onto their"pitch" than close the tank and take it away with them. I use a collapsible bucket to drain off some of the grey water and throw it into the hedge if there isn't a suitable drain available.

On one occasion in my last job we had a motorhome stay overnight in the workshop. The next morning when I came in I discovered his waste tank tap had been leaking and there was several gallons of putrid, stinking, dirty water in the bottom of the pit. I mentioned the leaking tap to the customer who said oh yeah, its been like that for months, I've deliberately not fixed it as it means my waste tank never gets filled right up. He was a little red faced when I gave him a bucket and mop and asked him to clean his dirt out of the pit I needed to use!

D.
usermichele
Posted: 18 June 2007 3:28 PM

Typical people just because it don't affect them then it must be ok then ...
Lifes attitudes .. should of got Dex to back him into the pit on his A***se
Jump to page : First 1 2 3 NextLast
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator