How Johnson will ensure the poor will feed the rich

Bulletguy

Social care cap could expose poorer homeowners to ‘catastrophic’ costs

Tens of thousands of England’s poorest pensioners face paying the same for their old age care as wealthier people after the government published details of the new cap on home and care costs.

The move will save the government hundreds of millions of pounds but leave many poorer homeowners exposed to “catastrophic costs” including the need to sell their homes to cover long-term care, analysts said.

The cap was expected to amount to a combination of all care costs including means-tested council funding. But on Wednesday, while MPs at Westminster were focused on the scandal over MPs’ second jobs, the Department of Health and Social Care said only private contributions would be counted.

That means that a pensioner with a £90,000 home in Burnley who qualifies for council help could pay the same for their care out of their own pocket as someone with property worth £250,000 or more in Surrey who is too wealthy for means-tested assistance. Care bills could still eat into almost all of their assets, forcing the sale of the house.

Torsten Bell, director of the Resolution Foundation thinktank, said: “if you own a £1m house in the home counties, over 90% of your assets are protected. If you’ve got a terrace house in Hartlepool worth £70,000 you can lose almost everything.”

He added: “I’m really not sure the government has thought this through."

https://tinyurl.com/4kkmv55k

Interesting that this was sneaked out on a "good day to bury bad news", what with all the discussion surrounding Tory corruption. It goes before parliament next week so there will be little public scrutiny, only if the media pick the story up will people see what is coming down the track.

What is unclear from current reports is whether this applies to the household or the individuals, if it's individual then the potential cost per couple would be £172,000 - average price of a house in the red wall seats? Well in Hartlepool its £128,000, so people are going to have to sell their homes to pay for care, something Johnson ruled out within the last manifesto. Still I suppose "Johnson lied" isn't much of a headline anymore.

Bulletguy - 2021-11-17 11:12 PM

Torsten Bell, director of the Resolution Foundation thinktank, said: “if you own a £1m house in the home counties, over 90% of your assets are protected. If you’ve got a terrace house in Hartlepool worth £70,000 you can lose almost everything.”

Oh I dunno

Hartlepool is the place where they hung a monkey because they believed Government propoganda and thought the monkey was a Frenchman come to spy on them. So I'm not surprised they were taken in by Johnson :-S And will let him get away with this too.

When someone moves into a new home (including care home) I see no reason why they shouldn't sell the old home they no longer need to pay for their new home. Instead of leaving it to their greedy selfish offspring who would bung their mum into a cheapo council care home at someone else's expense, so they can inherit a property they have not earned. >:-)

And people who will never afford their own home effectively pay for them to have another.

But it should be the same for everyone.

This is just another Tory policy like the little people pay all the taxes, and the £billionaires domiciled in Her Majesty's Tax Havens giving Johnson free holidays pay none. A Policy that Cox is a staunch defender of whilst we are paying him to work for us. Whilst Corbyn spending his holiday volunteering at a food bank is painted as the Nasty one. Same Old Tories. >:-)

John52 - 2021-11-18 8:32 AM

Oh I dunno

Hartlepool is the place where they hung a monkey because they believed Government propoganda and thought the monkey was a Frenchman come to spy on them. So I'm not surprised they were taken in by Johnson :-S And will let him get away with this too.

When someone moves into a new home (including care home) I see no reason why they shouldn't sell the old home they no longer need to pay for their new home. Instead of leaving it to their greedy selfish offspring who would bung their mum into a cheapo council care home at someone else's expense, so they can inherit a property they have not earned. >:-)

And people who will never afford their own home effectively pay for them to have another.

But it should be the same for everyone.

This is just another Tory policy like the little people pay all the taxes, and the £billionaires domiciled in Her Majesty's Tax Havens giving Johnson free holidays pay none. A Policy that Cox is a staunch defender of whilst we are paying him to work for us. Whilst Corbyn spending his holiday volunteering at a food bank is painted as the Nasty one. Same Old Tories. >:-)

No problem with people selling their home to pay for care. BUT i think the threshold at which you have to contribute should be based on the percentage value of the estate - as was proposed in the Dilnot review. Otherwise Tarquin and Samantha will inherit a whole load of mummy and daddys wealth whilst there will be nothing left for Wayne and Sharon.

And people who will never afford their own home effectively pay for them to have another. But it should be the same for everyone.

You've missed the point John. It's all about protecting wealth of the rich whilst bleeding the poor.

In Hartlepool, a historic Red Wall victory for the Conservatives at a by-election earlier this year, the average house price is £128,000. This means voters will have to use 67 per cent of their assets to cover their own care before the Government steps in after the cap is reached.

The average house prices in the South East is £371,000, meaning people would need to use 23 per cent of their assets on care or 17 per cent in London, where houses cost £507,000.

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/social-care-cap-change-force-poorer-people-sell-homes-kings-fund-think-tank-1307268

What was that Johnson said about "levelling up"?

This didn't take long!

Johnson told: dump plan for social care charges or face Tory rebellion

MPs from north of England vent rage in emergency call with minister Gillian Keegan amid backbench fury at costs faced by less well-off pensioners.

Senior Conservatives on Saturday urged Boris Johnson to ditch plans that would see many of England’s poorest pensioners paying more for their social care – or risk being forced by his own MPs into a humiliating U-turn.

The prime minister, still reeling from sleaze allegations and fury among “red wall” MPs over scaled-back rail investment in the north, is facing another potentially damaging Commons rebellion at the hands of an increasingly mutinous party.

Ministers announced changes to social care plans which would mean poorer pensioners would not, after all, be able to count means-tested payments by the state for their care towards a total cap of £86,000 for any individual.

Critics said this meant that while someone who owned a £1m house would be able to protect more than 90% of their asset, someone with a home valued at £70,000, in a less wealthy part of the country, would lose almost everything.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/20/boris-johnson-told-dump-plan-for-social-care-charges-or-face-tory-rebellion

LOL! Thats the Tories for you. They just cant help themselves. So inherently nasty that they will even shaft the poor northern fools who not very long ago put them in power. Many voting Tory for the first time.

Its no surprise to most of us though but the only people I have sympathy for are those who were not daft enough to think they would really level them up and didnt vote for them.

The Scorpion and the Frog again innit?

When someone moves into a new home (including care home) I see no reason why they shouldn't sell the old home they no longer need to pay for their new home.

Instead of leaving it to their greedy selfish offspring who would bung their mum into a cheapo council care home at someone else's expense, so they can inherit a property they have not earned. >:-)

You pretend you have concern for people who will never afford to own their home - but want to stop their parents passing on any wealth they have accumulated - to help them to buy one.

IF you are so concerned that no-one should receive wealth they haven't earned - why not campaign against the lottery ?

:-|

Birdbrain - 2021-11-21 6:22 PM

I hope those poor northerners dont live in a Labour run area n'all given they are likely to pay much more in council tax rises ... https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1415803/labour-council-tax-hikes-bigger-than-tories ... Just look at Sadicks London

As per usual a load of lies, I live in a Tory stronghold, council tax increased by nearly 5% over 50% higher than the Express says, and a band D property is around £2000, over 30% higher than the Express says.

malc d - 2021-11-22 10:19 AM

When someone moves into a new home (including care home) I see no reason why they shouldn't sell the old home they no longer need to pay for their new home.

Instead of leaving it to their greedy selfish offspring who would bung their mum into a cheapo council care home at someone else's expense, so they can inherit a property they have not earned. >:-)

You pretend you have concern for people who will never afford to own their home - but want to stop their parents passing on any wealth they have accumulated - to help them to buy one.

IF you are so concerned that no-one should receive wealth they haven't earned - why not campaign against the lottery ?

:-|

Although I live in the North East I'm lucky enough to live in a little village in a house that would leave my descendants a sizeable legacy on my departure after paying for longterm care if I need it. Under the governments proposals people living in their own home five miles away in Darlington, will have nothing left to leave.

Its not fair and is a fine example of Johnsons lies to the electorate, even some Tories are threatening to rebel.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/22/uk-minister-refuses-to-rule-out-people-having-to-sell-homes-to-fund-care

Expect another U turn.

A sad day after Tory MP's backed the changes to £86k funding of care cap which will see poorer pensioners lose their property whilst the wealthy get to keep theirs.

People with a £1m inheritance coming their way from a property in the South will keep about £900,000 of it. Someone in line for a windfall of £86,000 from the sale of a home up North will see the lot go in care costs. This is Johnsons idea of "levelling up". *-)

So yet another of Johnsons broken promises from his own manifesto guaranteeing that no one should have to sell their home to pay for care.

It's slashed Johnsons majority to 26 after 67 MP's abstained from voting and 19 Tory MP's voted against it (amazingly one of whom was Esther McVey!).

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/boris-johnson-cbi-speech-social-care-covid-b1962089.html

And if you want to see how your MP voted; https://votes.parliament.uk/Votes/Commons/Division/1147

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2021-11-22 10:35 AM

I hope those poor northerners dont live in a Labour run area n'all given they are likely to pay much more in council tax rises ... https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1415803/labour-council-tax-hikes-bigger-than-tories ... Just look at Sadicks London

As per usual a load of lies, I live in a Tory stronghold, council tax increased by nearly 5% over 50% higher than the Express says, and a band D property is around £2000, over 30% higher than the Express says.

So you prolly also live in a house worth more than the national average? ;-) ........

Which means you will benefit from Boris's changes to the care system :-| .........

So would you prefer the system remains unchanged? >:-) ........

Bulletguy - 2021-11-23 6:29 PM

A sad day after Tory MP's backed the changes to £86k funding of care cap which will see poorer pensioners lose their property whilst the wealthy get to keep theirs.

People with a £1m inheritance coming their way from a property in the South will keep about £900,000 of it. Someone in line for a windfall of £86,000 from the sale of a home up North will see the lot go in care costs. This is Johnsons idea of "levelling up". *-)

So yet another of Johnsons broken promises from his own manifesto guaranteeing that no one should have to sell their home to pay for care.

It's slashed Johnsons majority to 26 after 67 MP's abstained from voting and 19 Tory MP's voted against it (amazingly one of whom was Esther McVey!).

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/boris-johnson-cbi-speech-social-care-covid-b1962089.html

And if you want to see how your MP voted; https://votes.parliament.uk/Votes/Commons/Division/1147

LOL. I noticed my MP Dehenna Davidson backed it. Had a look at her FB feed just now and she is getting a right pasting from the angry locals. She certainly seems to have gone from Hero to Zero in the last few months. There are a lot of codgers in her constituency. Half of it is pretty wealthy but half of it is piss poor, guess which ones backed the Tories for the first time in 2019. (lol) Stupid misguided Brexit loving morons.

pelmetman - 2021-11-23 6:51 PM

So you prolly also live in a house worth more than the national average? ;-) ........

Which means you will benefit from Boris's changes to the care system :-| .........

Why do you think someone should keep over £800,000 when others only get to keep only £20,000?

And why do you think that is fair?

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-11-23 9:43 PM

Why do you think someone should keep over £800,000 when others only get to keep only £20,000?

Average house price is currently £284,000 ...........So its fair to the vast majority of the UK home owners ;-) ...........

pelmetman - 2021-11-23 9:50 PM

Average house price is currently £284,000 ...........So its fair to the vast majority of the UK home owners ;-) ...........

Says the person living in his wifes mothers inherited house. *-)

In a lot of the red wall seats certainly ooop North if you live in a terraced house as many of them do they are probably not even worth £86k so they will get to keep nothing.

Region Average price May 2021

East Midlands £216,077

East of England £310,200

London £497,948

North East £143,129

North West £189,245

South East £350,016

South West £277,603

West Midlands £219,793

Yorkshire and the Humber £181,856

That's a lot of red wall seats to lose.

Barryd999 - 2021-11-23 9:34 PM

LOL. I noticed my MP Dehenna Davidson backed it. Had a look at her FB feed just now and she is getting a right pasting from the angry locals. She certainly seems to have gone from Hero to Zero in the last few months. There are a lot of codgers in her constituency. Half of it is pretty wealthy but half of it is piss poor, guess which ones backed the Tories for the first time in 2019. (lol) Stupid misguided Brexit loving morons.

My Tory MP voted for it. But then he would wouldn't he as he will benefit from it. Bills pad is a rambling Grade 1 listed moated mansion.

He only thinks it fair since his wife inherited her mothers property. ;-)

Bulletguy - 2021-11-23 10:25 PM

My Tory MP voted for it. But then he would wouldn't he as he will benefit from it. Bills pad is a rambling Grade 1 listed moated mansion.

I'm surrounded by red wall seats, 4 of the 8 abstained. After the Paterson debacle a lot are beginning to fear for their futures.

Barryd999 - 2021-11-23 9:57 PM

Says the person living in his wifes mothers inherited house. *-)

Exactly!

In a lot of the red wall seats certainly ooop North if you live in a terraced house as many of them do they are probably not even worth £86k so they will get to keep nothing.

Just looked at some in Hartlepool. Blimey there are ready to move into terraced houses going for £30k - £40k 8-)

And this 3 bed semi a snip at a mere £80k 8-) https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/110681693#/?channel=RES_BUY

CurtainRaiser - 2021-11-23 10:36 PM

Bulletguy - 2021-11-23 10:25 PM

I'm surrounded by red wall seats, 4 of the 8 abstained. After the Paterson debacle a lot are beginning to fear for their futures.

They've every reason to fear as well. I think most will be out of a job come election time.

From experience of paying care costs I would say it's unlikely to make any differance to our family, but you never know maybe we both might end up in care homes for several years, in which case we could still fund that and leave the girls with more than enough.

My gut feeling is a lot of people are going to find the realities of this very disappointing.

Archived