Lapland in the New Forest

CliveH

Saw this in the on-line version of a couple of UK newspapers yesterday, and it even made the Spanish news here today.

The photos were fantastic.......looked somewhat like a cross between a 3rd world shanty-town and New-Age Travellers campsite.

Doesn't quite sound as thought it's up there with Alton Towers and Disneyworld..... :'(

What a contrast to Winter Wonderland in London's Hyde Park last Saturday. Free entry to enjoy the sites and sounds of the event and the European Xmas Market - staggering range of stalls - just pay for the rides, skating etc if people want them. Everything is accessible on paved paths and not a lump of mud to worry about and loads of police in high-vis jackets to keep it all well-behaved.

Of course you need a mortgage to buy a train ticket to London but that's the Government's fault.

Bob

On the radio new here this morning they reported that "Santa" and thre of the "elves" got roughed up yesterday by a number of enraged visitors (didn't say whther it was kids or their parents who did the deed).

For a reason that escaped me, the picture that this latest report painted for me of a full scale melee in the B&Q garden shed they are using as a "grotto" made me burst out laughing.

Santa and elves arrive at local hospital in full costume to receive treatment:

Nurse: "What on earth happened to you and your little helpers Santa?"

Santa: " We were attacked whilst on duty."

Nurse: "Who was it who assaulted you?"

Santa: "A tribe of 4 year old feral children."

Dangerous lark, this Christmas business......

Talking of Trains Bob

If anyone wants a good Christmas treat for the kids - we used to really enjoy a Christmas trip on the Watercress Line Steam train, (near Alton). It was years ago so check out that it still happens! But the adullts got a mince pie and a sherry on the train and when you got to the station down the line the kids had a great grotto to visit and a present from Sant Claus.

It was REALLY good and not expensive for what you got.

Plus the pleasure of the sight and smells of a real steam engine were trully great.

Sadly the New Forest Lapland debacle is like most things organised by "Matchams" - tacky and a rip off.

BGD - 2008-12-03 11:12 AM

On the radio new here this morning they reported that "Santa" and thre of the "elves" got roughed up yesterday by a number of enraged visitors (didn't say whther it was kids or their parents who did the deed).

For a reason that escaped me, the picture that this latest report painted for me of a full scale melee in the B&Q garden shed they are using as a "grotto" made me burst out laughing.

Santa and elves arrive at local hospital in full costume to receive treatment:

Nurse: "What on earth happened to you and your little helpers Santa?"

Santa: " We were attacked whilst on duty."

Nurse: "Who was it who assaulted you?"

Santa: "A tribe of 4 year old feral children."

Dangerous lark, this Christmas business......

That story had us laughing.

As for the 'attraction', when tv visited they where only allowed to film at night, you couldn't see the mud bath.

Clive - your mention of the Watercress line brought back happy (distant) memories of taking the kids on that trip. It was brilliant and very good value.

Bruce your funny post reminded me of when someone suggested we be "inclusive" and take a wonderfully made and decorated reindeer and sleigh charity float with Santa on it to a fairly notorious estate, rather than just sticking to the usual routes. We did not send the money collectors round - we weren't feeling that brave - we just wanted to tour round, playing carols, spreading good cheer, and with Santa giving out sweets and treats to the children. We very soon had to flee the area after Santa and his elves were pelted with eggs and stones by large groups of yobs. Yes, Christmas can be dangerous!

Bob

We are two of the "mugs" that fell for the ? "con" of this event. We paid £100 for 4 tickets for ourselves and our two little grandchildren - aged 4 and 7. We thought it would be a real treat for them and this year is possibly the last that the elder one will truly "believe" the story.

We are gutted at the bad press at the moment as we have no chance of getting our money back (paid by debit card) so would like it to stay open so we at least have a choice whether to go or not. :-S

We had already decided to go as it got dark - early afternoon now :-( - so we would have the benefit of the lights and "snow". How we explained it to the cheildren when we said we were going was that my husband had found where Santa had another "base" for making toys - like Daddy goes to his other office in America every so often - and we might be able to visit when they come to stay in 10 days time. So it shouldn't be too hard to prepare them for the real prospect by putting another spin on this tale.

The new web site shows how it looks at night so instead of the 4 hours expected to spend there we will just "pop in" - if it is still there...... *-)

Everhopeful.....

695225724_ani-santalaf1.gif.788300d7697bb37f3fc88e9dc315f8df.gif

Jenny

Really sorry but Julie (net-traveller) is correct - it has now shut. The rumour was even before it opened how bad it was.

As someone who loves the New Forest and wants it to always be seen at its best - this was a sorry excuse of a show and a despicable Rip-Off off kids and their (most likely) hard up parents.

I do hope you find something for them that is better.

And may i suggest again that the Christmas ride on a Steam Train on the Watercress line was fantastic for us - we did it for a number of years and my kids (now 22 and 26 still talk about it when we go over past Holidays and Christmas.

Bob above says he enjoyed it as well.

(Perhaps we could all meet up next year for a big kids party on the steam train??)

A link to their website - Please note I have nothing to do with the Watercress line other than being a past happy customer on several of their Christmas specials.

http://www.watercressline.co.uk/santa.htm

:-D

Thanks Clive, we saw it on the news earlier - at least now we can get our money back as the debit card we used was a Visa debit one. We hadn't thought of the watercress line - I used to live in Alresford in my teens but have never been on the steam train, so that's a distinct possibility - the grandchildren went there last year with their parents and really enjoyed it.

It was interesting to see the updated website for the con "Lapland" has already been updated again tonight to say it is shut and the reasons given are on there now - the "professional demonstrators", the bad press - locally and nationally and last but not least the "probably illegal" action of Streamline freezing the Lapland New Forest bank accounts! I wonder which one had the most effect??

>:-(

Hope it all works out Jenny

There is so much really excellent activities in the New Forest - Sandy Balls at God shill for example has a skating rink. It will not be to "Dancing on Ice" size! but it will be done well.

As will virtually all of the attractions in the New Forest - which is why it annoys the **** out of us down here when a ruddy awful tacky show is put on such as the ones put on at M********'s

I hope this does not offend the Modies - as I firmly believe that websites such as this have a vital role to play in warning people of rip offs such as this latest one at M's that has been all over the national news.

Sadly the same news never seems to praise those places that do a good job - just leap on those that do a bad one.

catinou - 2008-12-04 9:30 PM

Thanks Clive, we saw it on the news earlier - at least now we can get our money back as the debit card we used was a Visa debit one. We hadn't thought of the watercress line - I used to live in Alresford in my teens but have never been on the steam train, so that's a distinct possibility - the grandchildren went there last year with their parents and really enjoyed it.

It was interesting to see the updated website for the con "Lapland" has already been updated again tonight to say it is shut and the reasons given are on there now - the "professional demonstrators", the bad press - locally and nationally and last but not least the "probably illegal" action of Streamline freezing the Lapland New Forest bank accounts! I wonder which one had the most effect??

>:-(

Sorry to add a downer to this but, as I understand it, debit cards of most colours are considered the same as cheques and cash so do not pay out in these circumstances. Credit cards do. You need to contact your bank to discuss.

;-)

Archived