Attaching reversing camera to sat nav

BumbleBee

Hello everyone,

We are new to campervanning and are planning our 1st trip to France very soon.

Our problem is we have bought a Garmin 1490tv and a reversing camera and need to fit them together but the fitting from the reversing camera is really loose in the sat nav. If we wiggle it about and hold it in we can make it work but it's not satisfactory. We have emailed Garmin and where we bought the reversing camera and they were both very unhelpful.

We wondered if anyone else has done this successfully and could suggest what we should do, we wondered if there was a adaptor we could buy but have tried various shops but to no avail.

Thanks in anticipation.

If memory serves me right the socket for composite video in is a 3.5mm socket if the plug from the reversing camera is very loose i suspect this is a 2.5 mm jack plug. You can obtain adapters IE:2.5mm socket to 3.5mm jack plug.
you just need to look at the jack plug from the camera to see how may rings are on the plug to see how many poles it is if there are two its a mono converter cable / adapter required. if its three a stereo adapter is required (mono and stereo are used to identify the adapters as they are usually used for audio devices).

Thanks for your help but we are still not sure as there are no rings on the jack but there are what I can only describe as metal petals which prevent the jack going into the socket fully. Even if we cut off the "petals" it would be too loose, so I'm sure you are right that we need a 3.55mm jack and 2.55mm socket but there are no rings at all on the jack, does this matter? Hope this makes sense.

Thanks again in anticipation

Keithl - 2012-05-05 8:28 PMHi,It sounds as though you have a 'Phono' plug and you are trying to put it into a 3.5mm socket.You should be able to get a converter to do the job from Maplin Link.Keith.
Totally agree with you Keith, However i cant understand how the phono would be very loose in the 3.5mm socket and what really confuses me is how they ever got it to work albeit by holding it in that's quite a feat. Just to be sure i have attached a picture of a phono plug if indeed this is the plug that is fitted follow Keith's advice

1237147486_phono(Small).jpg.9366f7b02080fa225c38b15e47c884b4.jpg

Dear Dr Dave and Keith

Thank you so much, we have ordered the part and Dr Dave the phono plug looks just like that! We have been stressing for 2 months trying to figure it out so really wished we had put something on the forum before we were totally stressed out and confused!

We thought Garmin would help but they just didn't want to know. Nearly ready for our trip to France just got to figure out how to replace a sony stereo, hopefully if we don't manage to do it ourselves we will have to book in to Halfords. (If they fit stereos not bought from them)

Archived