Gas usage.

cruiser

We were surprised recently when a relatively new bottle of calor gas showed empty way sooner than expected. We're fairly experienced in gas use, and run a two-ring hob, a fridge, a Truma water heater and Trumatic heating unit as and when required.

Having said that, we usually manage a full season on one bottle. On a recent trip to the UK, we stayed outside various off-springs' houses, (living the dream lol!) and possibly may have used the heating more often than normal... plus the fridge was on any time we parked up (approx seven days in total)

Can anyone suggest a gas consumption list for the above appliances,in order?

Thanks in advance!

I have carried out a similar exercise in the past, more for electrical consumption to ensure I don’t trip the supply, but I distinctly remember noting the approximate gas consumption figures being available for my fridge and heater (water and air) taking into account that these can be variable as stated in the first reply.

I was lucky in that I have all of the handbooks and manuals for reference.

I do notice that manuals for all manor of things are available online, or perhaps as a longer shot publish your details and with luck people may be able to provide some of the answers. I assume an email to each appliance manufacturer with relevant model details might yield answers.

Davy

And what size Calor cylinder are you using? They range from 3.9 kg right up to mega sizes!!!

We use approx one 13 kg Propane per year but do roughly 50/50 sites with EHU and rallies off EHU.

I also have a Truma Gas check pen and can check the liquid level in the cylinder in a matter of seconds, without this I used to have to disconnect the cylinder and weigh it to check usage.

Keith.

Yes, a 13kg bottle has always lasted for us. Maybe it was a dodgy fill. Either way, I'll switch to the 50° option on the water heater in future (as opposed to the 70° ) and use the electric kettle for washup etc more often when on EHU.

It's odd how we develop habits from day one (e.g: 70° hot water) and never think of alternatives until we get a wake up call!

Wouldn't be the first time that a partly used bottle has been sold as a full bottle. Generally taken out of a part exchange and put to one side. (The wrong side?)

I weigh my bottles before I put them in using a little hand scale, much to the amusement of my local supplier who asks if I want the "fullest" one. Could be sarcasm?

Rgds

cruiser - 2019-06-27 11:23 PM

Yes, a 13kg bottle has always lasted for us. Maybe it was a dodgy fill. Either way, I'll switch to the 50° option on the water heater in future (as opposed to the 70° ) and use the electric kettle for washup etc more often when on EHU.

It's odd how we develop habits from day one (e.g: 70° hot water) and never think of alternatives until we get a wake up call!

I think if you had been sold a half-filled 13kg bottle you might have noticed the lighter weight. But using gas for heating during a cold period and leaving the hot water on for long periods ramps up our gas consumption spectacularly and I would think that could be enough to explain your surprisingly high consumption.

Archived