creaking Motorhome

lynneroy

Hi, wondered if anyone had a similar experience, in December we purchased an Elddis Majestic 125, we have done a few thousand miles in it now, and on the way home from NEC show, we suddenly heard an awful creaking noise, definitely nothing inside the van as when reversing our camera has sound and it was very loud creaking, visited Peugeot Dealer today who checked springs, they are definitely ok, they took it for a drive and were surprised how loud it was, so now hoping Dealer will look at it for us. Hoping someone has ideas what it can be.

Many thanks

Lynne

If it has double leaf rear springs it could be the two leaves creaking and this generally goes away when it's wet and the water lubricates them.

I can't remember exactly but I think there should be a spacer between the two leaves?

Coachbuilt bodies are known to flex and creak when on the move and we had an Autotrail that did that to an alarming degree - so we got rid of it pdq - worth checking?

The bolts securing the body to the chassis might need tightening can be another cause of creaking?

Can you determine exactly when it happens? On bends, tight or left or both? Over bumps? In any specific gear? Uphill? Downhill? Dry road? Wet road? Anything else that might jog our collective memories?

Lynne

Assuming that the noise is actually coming from the rear of the motorhome - it can be surprising how noise can travel around a vehicle sometimes - as it happens when the vehicle is being driven forwards normally and (presumably slowly) in reverse, something amiss with the rear suspension should be the prime suspect. (A loose spring U-bolt, a loose damper, a loose wheel, etc.)

A few possibilities have been suggested above, but as the creaking noise is very loud the source OUGHT to be relatively straightforward to pin down. Getting someone technically knowledgeable to sit in the rear of the motorhome when it’s being driven should help to identify where the creaking is coming from and whether it’s from outside the vehicle or inside (eg. from the floor area).

Having said that, noise-diagnosis can prove tricky. A neighbour had a knocking noise from the rear of his saloon car and, although an engineer, could not locate it. Finally he managed to persuade someone to curl up in the boot and, after driving the car over a series of speed-bumps, the problem was traced to a rear suspension unit. My wife complained to me about a peculiar noise somewhere in her car and this was traced to a misplaced front-suspension bush after I had run alongside the car while she was driving it slowly. Not long after purchase my Hobby motorhome developed a loud infuriating creaking noise from the area above the driver’s door. This was eventually traced to a fixing-screw having not been fully tightened when Hobby built the motorhome (and what a swine it was to fix!)

The cause of the creaking is quite likely to be something minor, but as the noise is loud and worrying it needs attending to without delay. Take the vehicle back to the motorhome dealership you bought it from as it’s their responsibility to deal with problems. If there were to be any ‘demarcation’ arguments regarding whether the noise was coming from the Peugeot or Elddis part of your vehicle, it would be best if the dealership dealt with this and that you did not get directly involved.

Thanks Tracker for trying to help. We took it to Peugeot to get it checked out, they said it surprisingly only had one leaf spring, because they were thinking the same as you. No particular weather conditions alter it, we had been to a retail park and travelled over a speed bump very slowly just before it started, we can hear it more when we are going slow and on uneven ground than on a newly tarmaced road, but it is still noisy then. I will ring the dealer today as well hoping he will sort it, I really dont want to get rid of it as it took me months to choose it and it is exactly meeting our needs, apart from the noise.

Thanks again

Lynne

Lynne,

Your description, especially the mention of speed bumps, leads me to think it is the well-known noise from the upper bush on the rear leaf spring shackle. This gives a very loud 'hee-haw' squeak/creak especially at low speeds over uneven ground, worse when the van rocks from side to side.

This fault is exacerbated by damp and salty roads because the saline sprays onto the bush axle through a chassis limber hole, so it would fit with it appearing at this time of year too.

There is a thread on here somewhere with pictures showing exactly why the problem occurs and how to solve it. I can't find it at the moment but will look again when I'm at a PC later.

Steve928 - 2015-03-04 8:13 AM

Lynne,

Your description, especially the mention of speed bumps, leads me to think it is the well-known noise from the upper bush on the rear leaf spring shackle. This gives a very loud 'hee-haw' squeak/creak especially at low speeds over uneven ground, worse when the van rocks from side to side.

This fault is exacerbated by damp and salty roads because the saline sprays onto the bush axle through a chassis limber hole, so it would fit with it appearing at this time of year too.

There is a thread on here somewhere with pictures showing exactly why the problem occurs and how to solve it. I can't find it at the moment but will look again when I'm at a PC later.

This thread by any chance... http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/rear-squeaky-springs/26879/

Keith.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions of possible causes, I am starting to feel a bit better now, that it may be easily fixed. I am awaiting a phone call from the dealer to book it in, so fingers crossed.

Many thanks to you all, a great crowd,

Lynne

Just an update, the dealer rang me straight back and was very helpful, promised to sort it out, but asked us to check one thing before we do a 300 mile round trip to him, asked us to remove spare wheel and then wind it back up, because he has known the spare to have moved and caused this problem, so will try that first,

Thanks again to all of you.

Lynne

Archived