saving money

athiest

Hi all, I have just covered my van for the winter not intending to use it until about March. first I SORNed it and got back £65, (it's parked off road on my drive). The second money saver the MOT was due last month but I will not be MOTing it until March thus putting the yearly dues back four months. It is still insured though. Hope this helps some of you who do put their vans away for winter but had not thought of getting something back from HMG. "A"

.....I should carefully check your insurance. :-S

Mine has a condition that the vehicle must at all times have a current MOT certificate (unless not required by the age of the vehicle); I'm considering changing companies at the moment, and there is a similar clause in their conditions.

Guest Tracker

Insurance companies used to offer a 'laid up rebate' when a vehicle was untaxed and parked off the road.

This meant that come renewal a rebate of the unused but paid for cover was allowed off the nextrenewal premium but of course related to the existing insurer only and was not transferable if you wanted to change insurers and I doubt you would get a cash refund - but you can always ask - the worst they can say is no!!

Cover could optionally be suspended altogether - not a good idea in this case but OK for a banger - or reduced to what used to be called 'FT&AD - fire theft and accidental damage' which excluded all third party risks and specifically excluded all 'on road' risks.

It's always worth asking!!

Hi have checked with my insurance and the full cover remains. As it is stationary on private land the insurance company can't lose, it is alarmed "cat1" has a titainium bar steering lock with two padlocks and a wireless alarm system linked seperately to a control unit inside the house.Works for me anyway. As for saving money by not letting the wife out with any, she won't give me any. "A"

I have a motorcycle that is under SORN notification and have been told by my insurance company that they would not re-insure it and by another broker that it is not possible to insure a SORN vehicle despite the fact that it is kept in a locked garage. Obviously someone along the way is telling "porkies" but how do I find out?

athiest - 2011-12-14 1:08 PM

Hi all, I have just covered my van for the winter not intending to use it until about March. first I SORNed it and got back £65, (it's parked off road on my drive). The second money saver the MOT was due last month but I will not be MOTing it until March thus putting the yearly dues back four months. It is still insured though. Hope this helps some of you who do put their vans away for winter but had not thought of getting something back from HMG. "A"

Could cost you a lot more than keeping it on the road if sleepy van syndrome sets in.

You really should take the van out for a 10-20 mile run every 3-4 weeks, get everything warmed up to operating temperature. Leaving a van sitting there is bad news. Clutches, thrust release bearings, brakes, alternators & water pumps often seize on vans left standing (plenty of posts on this forum about it). Also the oil drains from the bearings with possibility of little & big end failure. Also nothing better than a drive to dry the bodywork out to help stay off the dreaded tin worm, vans left standing collect water in nooks & crannies making a nice home for the tin worm.

Archived