Aftermarket alloy wheels

Sssnake

I’ve just bought a Dethleffs 7057 EB which I will get in Sept. The vehicle is not from a dealer; it has 16” steel wheels at the moment and I’d like to replace those with Fiat alloys. I live in the Midlands and am buying the van from North London. Will somebody please advise me of a reliable supplier for a set of four alloys for a retro fit?

This link may be helpful

https://www.tyremen.co.uk/guide/fiat-ducato-motorhome-wheels

I think a Dethleffs 7057 model was only marketed quite recently and, consequently, the possibllity exists that the 16”-diameter steel wheels will have a PCD (stud pattern) of 5x118 if the motorhome was built on a Ducato ‘light’ chassis, or 5x130 if the motorhome was built on a ‘heavy’ (Maxi) chassis. It’s something to confirm when considering retrofitting alloy wheels.

Do you actually want ‘genuine’ Fiat alloy wheels - as I’m guessing that you’d possibly need to order those through a Fiat agent? Having said that, I think one of the Fiat alloy-wheel factory options involves “Scorpion” products (examples here)

https://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/fiat/ducato/3rd-gen/16-inch

I can’t advise supplier-wise, but make sure that whoever fits the new wheels fits appropriate tyre valves.

My advice, through experience is to make sure when you change to alloys that the two small steel pegs projecting from the hub do not foul the moulding in the back of the alloys. If they foul, it will prevent the wheels being fulled tightened up, and like me you could end up with loose wheels!

The fix is to shorten the pegs by 2 or 3mm.

Hi

I used Circumference Wheels ,Walsall, West Midlands for my 15" alloy wheels their delivered the wheels and waited wihile I test fitted them (without tyres). Then I changed the tyres from my steel wheels to the new alloys

Paul

Slightly off topic but if you have a newer car, some alloy after fittings can play havoc with abs, puncture warning and associated warnings as the wheels do not have the same "presence" as original wheels.

N

Just been through this with my VW and lost a wheel through damage. Replacement wheel no tyre was £600 . I could have purchased 4 alloys and tyres for that ??.

Rgds

My understanding is that the hubs of all current-model Ducato X290 ‘light’ (non-Maxi) chassis require wheels with a PCD of 5x118 and that the hubs of all current-model Ducato X290 'heavy’ (Maxi) chassis require wheels with a PCD of 5x130.

Ducato X290 ‘light’ (non-Maxi) chassis have, as standard, 15”-diameter steel wheels, but the ‘light’ chassis can also be (optionally) specified with !5”-diameter alloy wheels (Fiat option 108) or 16”-diameter ‘diamond' alloy wheels (Option 431).

Ducato X290 'heavy’ (Maxi) chassis have, as standard, 16”-diameter steel wheels, with 16” alloy wheels as a factory option. Two alloy wheel designs are offered - single-colour (Option 208) or ‘diamond’ (Option 432).

Wheels suitable for a Ducato X290 ‘light’ chassis cannot be fitted to a Ducato X290 ‘heavy' chassis or vice versa.

This link refers

https://www.tyremen.co.uk/guide/which-chassis-do-i-have-light-or-maxi

To the best of my knowledge the wheel-bolts used with the standard steel Fiat wheels are also used with the appropriate Fiat optional alloy wheels, with the same wheel-bolt torque-settings being employed (160Nm for ‘light’ chassis or 180Nm for ‘heavy’ chassis). Different wheel-bolts and/or torque-settings may be needed if non-Fiat alloy wheels are to be retrofitted.

I bought after market alloys for my A5881 which were "Rimfire" if I remember correctly, from West Bromwich.

Two things to watch for are whether the profile will fit high pressure valves, I found the curved rim wasn't really suitable for screw-ins, so used metal cored valves, and they take different bolts, so order 20 and keep five of the old ones for your spare. (And a suitable wheel brace for both size bolts)

...perhaps the moderator could delete/modify my post to avoid confusion.

Mike

OK - I’ve deleted your earlier posting, twiddled/expanded my follow-up comment and performed major surgery on this posting. (Derek Uzzell)

A follow-up on the wheel-bolts used with factory-fitted Fiat Ducato X290 alloy and steel wheels...

This 2016 MotorHomeFacts discussion

http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/149-fiat-ducato/177146-x290-maxi-wheel-bolts.html

advised that the same bolts were used for alloy and steel wheels factory-fitted to Ducato X290 ‘heavy’ (Maxi) chassis, and there’s no persuasive reason to think differently where the X290 ‘light’ chassis is concerned.

For ‘aftermarket’ alloys, wheel-bolts will obviously need to have the appropriate diameter and thread to allow them to be screwed into the vehicle’s hubs, but the length of the bolt and the design of the bolt’s head/shoulder may well differ from the standard Fiat-used bolts.

My Skoda car has alloy wheels and a steel spare wheel, and the same wheel-bolts are used for both. However, because a decorative plastic wheel-trim hides the heads of the bolts when the car has steel wheels as standard, when the car’s specification includes alloy wheels a silvery plastic push-on cover pretties up each bolt head.

I don’t know what (if anything) happens regarding the visual appearance of the wheel-bolts when Ducatos have factory-fitted alloy wheels, but it would be a bit of a let-down to have expensive glitzy alloy wheels held on by bolts with rusting steel heads.

Archived