Air bag ecu unit

tringy

Hi all, was just wondering if anyone has had problems with the ecu Air bag unit? I have just returned from a fiat professional dealer having had a diagnostic plug and they said the unit has shorted out inside so it must be replaced I am waiting for a call back to tell what it is going to cost . Air bag and seat belt light came on as we were driving to the Peterborough show, so I called the AA when we was there but they could not diagnose the problem with their tool and said to take it to fiat to . This is on an autotrail and This van is not three years old yet, the extended warranty is useless and only covers very major parts. I am trying to get Fiat to pay for it as this sort of thing should not happen so early in the vans life. Anyone had any experience with this problem and how was the result.

Kind regards to all. Tringy.

Good evening,

Me too, took it in the other day and told it was the airbag ecu and would cost £300 but they would get onto Fiat , came back today and told they would go halfway so its £150. This kind of thing should not happen. I am not sure if its an MOT failure either so it has to be done.

We had the airbag light come on a few months ago. But it went off by itself after 20 min, then came on again on next start up, again it went off after some time.

Mindful of the advice here to replace or augment the engine earth strap with intermittent warning lights, I added a supplementary earth lead.

Not seen the airbag light since, other than usual start up of course.

Van is 2013 build Fiat 130.

Try crashdata.co.uk - they repair faulty SRS ECUs for around £60 with a 2-3 day return. They're also advertising a half price offer at the moment. A common cause of faulty ECUs on motorhomes is data corruption resulting from flat batteries and/or incorrect jump starting procedures.

Dealer workshops won't repair components. If they show as faulty on a diagnostic check they just replace with a new unit at greater cost to the customer.

2013 Fiat Ducato Globecar

Airbag warning light came on. Auto electrician traced fault to '01370978080 FIAT DUCATO AIRBAG MODULE'. Sent to Crashdata for repair. They said it was unrepairable with corrosion on the circuit board. They also said they had seen a lot of units with this fault and wondered whether it was a bad batch. Had to fork out for a new one which should come today.

billmars - 2018-04-27 9:58 AM

2013 Fiat Ducato Globecar

Airbag warning light came on. Auto electrician traced fault to '01370978080 FIAT DUCATO AIRBAG MODULE'. Sent to Crashdata for repair. They said it was unrepairable with corrosion on the circuit board. They also said they had seen a lot of units with this fault and wondered whether it was a bad batch. Had to fork out for a new one which should come today.

Good morning.

Mine is about that age too.

goldi - 2018-04-26 7:19 PM

Good evening,

Me too, took it in the other day and told it was the airbag ecu and would cost £300 but they would get onto Fiat , came back today and told they would go halfway so its £150. This kind of thing should not happen. I am not sure if its an MOT failure either so it has to be done.

This MOT-test webpage relates to the inspection procedure for air-bag systems

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/m4s05000401.htm

Just caught up with this thread. The airbag ECU in my van has failed twice, the van (Ducato) was bought new in Jan 2017. Particularly annoying the second time as we had to drive 4000 miles through France/Spain without airbags, and one of our "must haves" with a new van was driver and passenger airbags.

Both times it was a couple of days after some habitation work involving disconnection of the leisure battery. (I would have thought that if that was the cause, the failure would have happened immediately?)

Anyway, both times fixed under warranty, but concerned about if it happens again.

The new unit has been fitted, although the airbag warning light is still on, but without the loud warning sound which accompanied the previous scenario. Hopefully when the auto electrician comes to reset the warning light all will be well. Here's hoping!

Hello,

Been very busy, so just catching up with what you lot have been up to!

I have had very few airbag issues and they have all been on 2014 vehicles; but thankfully only two of them.

Last week i had a warning light on and the diagnostic unit said "Airbag ECU- internal short circuit; failed".

I ordered another one and was surprised to find that the date on the failed unit was 2016 whereas the van was built in 2014. I checked, and it had been replaced already under warranty.

After fitting the new one, the airbag light was still on and the diagnostic could not tell me what the problem was, it said there were no current faults. Then i remembered that there is a procedure to follow....

You have to connect to the vehicle via the OBD port and select the CAN-BUS system. You then have to select the option to perform a 'Proxi-Alignment'. This enables the network to recognise and configure new parts. After the Proxi-Align was done; the light went out and stayed out.

I doubt that small code readers would be able to do this. I use the full version of MultiECUScan and it works perfectly. There may be other after-market devices that can do it but it may require a visit to a Fiat Professional site to get this done.

I have only had one other failure under warranty so it's not exactly an epidemic but at least if you are prepared and know what to do; it should be relatively painless to sort out.

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2018-05-10 3:20 PM

Never was aware that a Air bag ecu unit could be replaced. What is this? Yes it ends up in the real ECU.

yes they are seperate to the ECU, i think there are 4 ECU on a fiat (could be wrong) diagnosing lots of things brakes etc

euroserv - 2018-05-10 12:59 PM

After fitting the new one, the airbag light was still on and the diagnostic could not tell me what the problem was, it said there were no current faults.

...........but it may require a visit to a Fiat Professional site to get this done.

After fitting a new air bag ecu, this is exactly what has happened on my Fiat. I'm booked into a Fiat dealer next week.

Archived