Air filter housing damaged

Accipiter Nisus

Can any of you practical DIY mechanics out there help me with replacing a complete engine air filter housing on a 2016 Peugeot Boxer 2.2?

Unfortunately mice have got into the engine's air filter and chewed it badly. On the bright side it doesn't look as though they've got through to the inside of the filter, but they have chewed a hole the best part of an inch big in the bottom of the filter housing.

I've bought a complete housing and filter so I can fit it myself and avoid driving it to a garage in this state.

The two hoses that attach to the housing look as though they'll pull off fairly easily and I think the whole box then pulls off a couple of rubber mounts. What's worrying me is there doesn't appear to be enough room to withdraw this rather large plastic tub either up through the bonnet of from below, and I wonder what else I might need to dismantle to get it out.

Any practical help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

What's worrying me is there doesn't appear to be enough room to withdraw this rather large plastic tub either up through the bonnet of from below, and I wonder what else I might need to dismantle to get it out.Any practical help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The real problem therefore would be getting the new one in?

Repair does seem a realistic & preferable option maybe. A hot glue gun and some plastic card / metal mesh?
A 1" hole is big for mice - unless you have evidence, may be worth thinking "rat"!

It's not a rat. I removed the body of wood mouse form the filter. I could repair the housing, but the inside repair would have to be flush to make an airtight seal. However, I have bought a replacement housing and filter complete, and I would like to fit it. I don't think getting the new one in will pose a problem once I've worked out how to get the old one out.

This is a 2016 Peugeot boxer (Elddis Accordo), but I think this part has been fitted for some time to both Peugeot and Fiat. If anyone has any experience with this I would be grateful for a bit of advice.

To the best of my knowledge (and supported by on-line images) the same air-filter housing is used on all Citroen Relay/Fiat Ducato/Peugeot Boxer X250/X290 models fitted with 2.2, 2.3 or 3.0litre diesel motors. (Ducatos with the 2.0litre MJ 115 motor have a different housing and I don’t what the position is with Euro 6 Relays/Boxers.)

This link shows a brand-new housing for a Ducato

http://www.fiatalfadealerparts.co.uk/fiat-ducato-air-filter-housing-fiat-ducato-motor-home-air-filter-housing-2-0-2-3-3-0.html

and this advert

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/CITROEN-RELAY-PEUGEOT-BOXER-2-2-AIR-FILTER-HOUSING-BOX-1348860080-2007-/112449864989

for a secondhand housing for a Relay/Boxer with 2.2litre motor includes a photo showing the same “1348860080” Part Number.

Having taken off the top cover of my Ducato’s housing to inspect the condition of the filter itself, I tried to decide how hard it might be to remove the housing’s lower section. I thought it might not be too difficult, but my Ducato is LHD and the position of certain components (eg. the big ‘air intake’ above the filter housing shown in the attached photo of a RHD Boxer X250) are on the opposite side of my Ducato’s engine compartment.

The lower part of the air-filter housing is not something that will often be removed, so it may come down to AC disconnecting the housing, seeing if that’s sufficient to allow the housing to be extracted and - if it is not - removing more bits until the housing will come out.

(Me, I'd ask my local Fiat Professional agent for advice, just in case the task is known to need major dismantling.)

Boxer.jpg.5fd1e7658d8a4a968b8961ddfdda6b3d.jpg

Thanks Brian. Moving the R/H headlight will certainly free up some room. I'm not sure it'll be enough but I will take it out and have a look.

And thanks for your reply Derek. The filter housing shown in your links is the right one for my van, and the photo is exactly the same layout with the a/c intake and filter on the right (near side). Probably because it's not a part that usually gets replaced during the lifetime of the vehicle, there is no information I can find out on the www.

I will try phoning Peugeot, but I'm not expecting any help from that quarter. It may be that once I start work, it will become obvious, but if anyone has had any experience with this, I would be pleased to hear from them. I have memories of "simple" tasks like this turning out to far more trouble than they appear.

Accipiter Nisus - 2017-12-06 10:29 AM

I will try phoning Peugeot, but I'm not expecting any help from that quarter. It may be that once I start work, it will become obvious, but if anyone has had any experience with this, I would be pleased to hear from them. I have memories of "simple" tasks like this turning out to far more trouble than they appear.

Try PM'ing or emailing Nick (Euroserv) as if anyone will know how to do it he will!

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/view-profile.asp?action=view&uid=3275

Keith.

If you click on the link Keith provided (repeated below)

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/view-profile.asp?action=view&uid=3275

You will be taken to Nick Fisher’s forum Profile.

Below the ‘box’ on Nick’s Profile you’ll see (in green lettering) “Send this user a private message” (ie. a “PM”).

Clicking on this opens up the forum’s PM system and, once you’ve submitted it, your message will be placed in your Outbox where it will remain until the recipient reads it and the message moves to your “Sent Items” store.

A recipient receives an indication that a PM has been sent to him/her by a red number appearing within the brackets alongside “Inbox” in the ‘stripe’ below (in your case) the “Welcome, Accipiter Nisus” message about a third down this webpage.

Accipiter Nisus - 2017-12-06 2:01 PM

Thanks Keith. I'll certainly try your suggestion. Please forgive me, I fairly new here. What's PM'ing? Also, how do I email from this site?

Sorry to be a pain.

No problem,

A Private Message (PM) is sent be finding a post from the person you want to PM and then clicking on the 'PM' button to the left below their user name. The PM will stay in your 'OUTBOX' until the recipient reads it.

If you click on the link I included above you will see Nick Fisher's email address, simply click or copy/paste into your web browser and send him an email.

Keith.

Edit. And Derek beat me to it with pretty much the same info!

Archived