Airbag warning light

steveandlisa

Hi again folks,

Yep! my Fiat Ducato mo/ho has developed the proverbial airbag warning light syndrome. Took it down to Dorset for a week, drove back and parked her up for six weeks no probs. Next use was a trip to Somerset, van loaded up all checks done and fired her up and she started first time as usual ;-) then bleep, bleep, f>#~ing bleep Airbag failure warning light. Anyway continued our journey with warning light lit on the dash, bit of a distraction but at least no annoying bleeping.

After arriving back home, took it to my local garage and their airbag fault detector showed up three fault codes, (B0106 Belt tensioner ignition circuit driver side front), (B0127 Driver side front buckle switch), (B0100 Airbag control unit) to which they were unable to reset. An independent auto electrician who sub-contracted to them was asked to look at the problem and he diagnosed the three faults as all sensors OK, internal fault with Airbag ECU and will require replacement or repair.

Now a new Airbag ECU for a mo/ho can cost an arm & a leg £500 plus, so I have disconnected the ECU "simple enough" and sent it off to http://www.crash-data.co.uk/ £60 for a complete reset and hope this should cure the problem, big saving if it does the job.

I`ll let you know if was successful.

Regards

Steve

steveandlisa - 2018-09-09 12:43 AM

Hi again folks,

Yep! my Fiat Ducato mo/ho has developed the proverbial airbag warning light syndrome. Took it down to Dorset for a week, drove back and parked her up for six weeks no probs. Next use was a trip to Somerset, van loaded up all checks done and fired her up and she started first time as usual ;-) then bleep, bleep, f>#~ing bleep Airbag failure warning light. Anyway continued our journey with warning light lit on the dash, bit of a distraction but at least no annoying bleeping.

After arriving back home, took it to my local garage and their airbag fault detector showed up three fault codes, (B0106 Belt tensioner ignition circuit driver side front), (B0127 Driver side front buckle switch), (B0100 Airbag control unit) to which they were unable to reset. An independent auto electrician who sub-contracted to them was asked to look at the problem and he diagnosed the three faults as all sensors OK, internal fault with Airbag ECU and will require replacement or repair.

Now a new Airbag ECU for a mo/ho can cost an arm & a leg £500 plus, so I have disconnected the ECU "simple enough" and sent it off to http://www.crash-data.co.uk/ £60 for a complete reset and hope this should cure the problem, big saving if it does the job.

I`ll let you know if was successful.

Regards

Steve

Hello again folks,

OK, got back the airbag ECU this morning and popped it back in. With fingers crossed turned the ignition on, waited a few seconds for dashboard light checks and yippee :-) no airbag warning light or bleeping and it saved me £???. So it`s a big thanks too http://www.crash-data.co.uk/ for their excellent service.

Tatty bye for now

Steve

There are several ECUs (the number varies according to the equipment fitted to the vehicle. They communicate through the CAN network and the body ECU maintains a master record of the ECUs that are present and whether they are correctly configured.

Search online for a Maserati document on the Florence network architecture. It gives a good explanation of the system used by FCA.

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2018-09-12 2:51 PM

Steve what is a airbag ECU ? As far as i understand we have only one whit i/o ports. Who take care of all.

Hi there,

The airbag ECU on my mo/ho is a small metal box with two plug connections that controls and monitors all the airbag sensors. It`s bolted to the floor between the front seats next to the battery. ;-)

Just got the same warning on my 2014 Peugeot Boxer, a local repairer is going to check the fault codes on Tuesday, he also thinks he knows what it is as he has seen it before, in that there is a likely loose connection under the drivers seat that needs to soldered secure. If not it will be a refurbished ECU

• 5 months later...

Steve,

Old thread I know but I wonder if you would answer a couple of questions?

Disconnecting the ECU : Did you disconnect the vehicle battery? The unit has "DO NOT DISCONNECT" in big letters so I'm a little apprehensive.

If you disconnected the battery did you leave it disconnected until the ECU was refitted?

My ECU part number isn't listed on the crash data website so maybe a phone call.

Any other tips?

Hi,

A few notes relating to earlier posts on this thread and the latest one....

Using a decent quality diagnostic tool the air bag system on the Ducato is surprisingly helpful. If a fault is detected with the airbag squib, the occupation sensors, the pre-tensioners or a couple of other devices; the diagnostic unit will spell it out in clear English which component is at fault. The wires connecting the device should always be checked before replacing the item itself. If there is no communication with the airbag ECU and/or no codes can be retrieved except for "Airbag ECU" then the fault will be the ECU itself. It will need to be replaced or repaired.

Before touching any of the airbag components, or unplugging anything; you must disconnect the vehicle battery and leave it disconnected for at least 30 minutes. Do not reconnect the battery until all devices are correctly installed and plugged in to the wiring loom.

N

AllanI - 2019-03-04 2:58 PM

Steve,

Old thread I know but I wonder if you would answer a couple of questions?

Disconnecting the ECU : Did you disconnect the vehicle battery? The unit has "DO NOT DISCONNECT" in big letters so I'm a little apprehensive.

If you disconnected the battery did you leave it disconnected until the ECU was refitted?

My ECU part number isn't listed on the crash data website so maybe a phone call.

Any other tips?

Hi Allan,

The answers to your question are Yes, Yes and Yes. Your ECU part number should be printed on the unit somewhere, possibly underneath. http://www.crash-data.co.uk/ are excellent and very helpful, even if you cant find the module details just tell them what vehicle it came off and they`ll sort it. They charged me £60 postage included. ;-)

regards Steve

keith did it work out for you on the ecu

Keithl - 2018-09-14 5:02 PM

Hi all,

I recently came across another company offering the repair of all ECU's based in Kings Lynn and with actual premises you can visit...

http://www.remmington.info/test.html

I have not dealt with them personally but have exchanged emails with Peter the owner and he seems a decent guy. If you do contact him please mention my name.

Keith.

granddad - 2019-03-10 7:58 PM

keith did it work out for you on the ecu

Keithl - 2018-09-14 5:02 PM

Hi all,

I recently came across another company offering the repair of all ECU's based in Kings Lynn and with actual premises you can visit...

http://www.remmington.info/test.html

I have not dealt with them personally but have exchanged emails with Peter the owner and he seems a decent guy. If you do contact him please mention my name.

Keith.

Actually I haven't had to use their services. I came across them on another forum and chatted on-line with the owner and thought it worth mentioning their name here for anyone who was stuck.

Keith.

Steve, Thank you for your answers to my questions.

After having a diagnostic check on the vehicle which showed a fault but did not identify what component was giving it, I decided to opt to send the ecu to crashdata. I expect it back shortly and will post the outcome. I don't know what diagnostic kit was used by the garage but maybe it wasn't the ideal as no faults such as those described above were identified. At least this will eliminate the ecu as being the reason for the warning lights.

• 1 month later...

Delayed reply but here goes. Crashdata said they could not repair my airbag ecu. I bought a new one £180

Fitted this myself. The remaining warning light illuminated was the airbag one, the passenger airbag light and the seatbelt light were not lit. Ended up going to my local Peugeot dealer to have the new ecu introduced to the vehicle. All appears to be working as it should now.

• 3 years later...
On 5/14/2019 at 3:19 PM, AllanI said:

Delayed reply but here goes. Crashdata said they could not repair my airbag ecu. I bought a new one £180

Fitted this myself. The remaining warning light illuminated was the airbag one, the passenger airbag light and the seatbelt light were not lit. Ended up going to my local Peugeot dealer to have the new ecu introduced to the vehicle. All appears to be working as it should now.

A few years on but same story....
We have a Fiat Ducato based motorhome whose cab battery failed in very cold weather. Replaced it, then the airbag light and seatbelts lights came on. Sent the airbag ecu away for repair - came back "unrepairable". 

Contacted our nearest Fiat commercial dealer (20 miles away - not one in our area!) and ordered a replacement ecu - came in 24 hrs - £311 inc VAT. Fitted it (simple) and then found that the seatbelt lights were not on but the airbag light still was.

Contacted the same Fiat dealer and booked it in for evaluation and MOT. Took it there this morning. Explained that it had a new ecu.

"Who fitted it?" "Me" "Did you program it?"  Blank look....  "That'll be it then!"  Bit of a relief in a way!

The bottom line - they are not plug and play!  Fingers crossed!

Archived