Alloy wheels and Insurance

Keithl

I've just read this on the ATOC website and thought it worth copying here for anyone with alloy wheels on their MH...

"I had a call from a new member this morning regarding his new Mohawk which he took delivery of on March 8th 2015, just a month ago.

On his return to his house after watching his grandson play football for Wales he discovered his new motorhome had no wheels and no towbar! The motorhome was just sat on the floor on the wheel hubs and bodywork. He was obviously devastated and very uspet to the extent he is now selling his month old Mohawk.

A call to his insurance company to put a claim in for 4 new wheels, tyres and towbar was not met very favourably as he was told that he had not soecified the vehicle had been fitted with allow wheels (these are standard on all Frontier and some other models) and should have been fitted with locking wheel nuts. Claim for wheels and tyres declined....

Replacement cost £2600.00 of wheels and tyres, plus fitting.

Do you have alloy wheels on your van? Are they covered on your insurance policy? Do the T&C's state they should be fitted with locking wheel nuts?

I will be checking my cover!"

Best check you're insured before it's too late!

Keith.

If an insurer won't respect a claim for stolen standard alloy wheels because there were no special security wheel nuts fitted (which would be an extra) then they really are behaving badly. It's no better than refusing a theft claim because you hadn't fitted extra security locks to the habitation doors!

Unless there is a specific requirement in the policy to fit security wheel nuts I would have thought you would have an excellent chance or challenging their decision. There's the Insurance Ombudsman and then if necessary the courts. Maybe the MH owner could write to the magazines and name the insurance cmpany too - which one was it?

It would be a nuisance to have to resort to that sort of thing but nevertheless there should be something which can be done about it.

If Auto trail themselves do not feel it necessary to fit locking wheel nuts when the vehicle is supplied new, then why should the new owner ? The alloy wheels are a standard figment on the Frontier range so are not a ' change of specification' that the insurance company need be informed about. Think that they are ' trying it on' to shirk their liability. Come on ' Name and shame' them, it would be in all our interests.

Surely since every time I have dealt with insurance on the MH or car, the question is asked as to whether I have fitted/changed anything (which I haven't) and my reply is that it is a supplied by the manufacturer, (other than on the MH fitting a Vanbitz alarm) that would mean that if fitted as standard the you should be covered......perhaps a word with the dealer or manufacturer would assist your claim??

hi all,

It doesn,t matter whether the wheels were standard or not in my opinion as far as insurance goes, unless the customer was asked and gave the wrong answer.In this sense I mean that IF the insurance company have criteria of what they require in order to insure or decline then surely they should lay these conditions before the customer. Lots of vans do not come with a tracker fitted yet some insurance companies insist you fit one before they will cover.Some also stipulate which locks/alarms they cover. If the customer fills his details in honestly and the insurance company take his premium then they should be bound to honour the claim.

I feel there is a part of this story missing.

cheers

derek

Will85 - 2015-04-27 10:09 AM

Not sure I believe this story.

Passing on 2nd 3rd and even 4th information is suspect as others have been.

Not a good idea me thinks when the originator is missing !

Will

I do not think this was 2nd, 3rd or even 4th hand information.

It was posted on the ATOC website Link by the Webmaster who is also the club chairman as a first hand reply, ie it was HE who had the conversation with the unfortunate owner.

If I had not believed the information being posted I would not have copied it here to serve as a warning to other forum members.

And I personally agree with other comments, I would not have let the insurance company walk away from the claim without a fight. As the Alloy wheels were standard fit did the insurance company insist on having locking wheel nuts fitted or is it something hidden in their 'small print'?

Keith.

Quite agree but I find it curious that such an event actually happened and how it could have been handled safely. Also that the owner decided that was enough to cause him to sell.

The thieves were obviously not interested in the Vehicle so a new set of wheels would have been a better answer than selling the whole item. No explanation was disclosed of the location which may have helped.

Will

Archived