Another Which Model Question.

Gumper

My wife and I are currently in the market for our first Motorhome after many years of tenting then subsequently caravaning. We are budgeting circa £40k for a used model.

Our needs are quite specific, we can get close but the length of the beds is always an issue.

2 Adults mostly, but occasionally with two grandchildren.

Thinking of end twin fixed beds that can be used either individually or as a double.........but needs to be 6’6” long. I’m quite tall. Plus a good size drop down or fold out lounge bed. This would enable my wife and I to use the fixed beds when we are on our own, the bung the little ones in single beds when they’re with us. We can still use the lounge in the evenings and have separate sleeping areas for privacy ;-).

Big fridge freezer, you’d be surprised how much beer gets consumed when we go bike racing :$

Separate shower, my wife hates sitting on a wet toilet seat 8-)

Big garage for bikes and paddle boards, or maybe small motorbike/scooter.

Ideally in a sub 7m low profile package.

I have a C1 license, 7.5t although most come in under 3.5t.

Would prefer a newer van, but would consider something older.

Thank you and await your replies.

PS noobie here but love the look of the site.

Possibly a Rapido ? They come in a number of various layouts.

They are reliable as most considering most of the services are supplied by other manufacturers ( as in the cases of most mhomes) ie Fiat, Truma, Dometic etc.

Rapido tend to be a little short on mains sockets, but this can be overcome.

Rgds

"chausson clever layout,bang on budget"

And low on build quality & useability. :-(

Shame. as the clever layout otherwise works well - pity there wasn't more thought put into minor requirements like, say, adequate heating. Had two, won't have another.

Nigel B

Try looking at current Auto Trail models, as what you seem to be describing is what I would call a UK layout, prioritising convertible seating. The new ones will be way over budget, but I think the layouts have remained fairly constant for a number of years so, if you see what you think may work, then start looking for similar used at dealers.

AT have a reasonable reputation for quality, but come back when you see the sort of layout you favour, and see if anyone can suggest similar alternatives. Not all makes are equal, and it is almost inevitable that someone, somewhere, will have had problems, even from the best reputed manufacturers. But, I would say that you'll be looking at over 7.0 metres long, and for a realistically workable payload, you'll definitely need more than 3.5 tonnes MAM.

If the children are old enough, have you considered one, or two, tents for them? They will get bigger, and heavier, as they get older, and they won't always want to go with their grandparents, so specifying a large van when the need may disappear in a few years may leave your future holiday plans compromised. You have to drive and park that van everywhere once you have it - including into supermarket car parks!

And check there are adequate BELTED travel seats.

The law changed around 2007 and after that date passengers are only allowed to travel in what are called 'Designated' travel seats. These are usually signified by a small round sticker showing a belted person.

Quite often four and even six berth MH's only have the two front seats for passengers, with no designated travel seats in the rear. eg Friends have just bought a brand new Bailey advance four berth which does not have any travel seats other than driver and front seat passenger!

Keith.

Thanks for the advice guys.

RE: Paddle board, will need to rethink this. Something we are considering taking up as we are only 50 miles from the Norfolk Broads. Hadn’t realised that they are so long. Might investigate a roof carrier.

Looking at vans circa 7.5m seems to be the sweet spot. Quite liking a 2017 Knaus Sun Ti700 MEG.

Unfortunately the grandkids are too young for a tent of their own (5 & 6)

Gumper - 2019-07-13 2:43 PM

Looking at vans circa 7.5m seems to be the sweet spot. Quite liking a 2017 Knaus Sun Ti700 MEG.

When looking at vans that size you need to be aware that there may be little payload esp. after you have added a few extras, and also they are prone to overloading the rear axle esp. if on the light chassis.

Here's a photo of a similar model (on Maxi chassis) which shows the front suspension lifting probably due to too much in the rear garage.

Front.jpg.506c4abe6270b4e5f83cd3b07116af10.jpg

Just be very wary of salesmen's promises. Research what you are buying before signing up to anything.

For a van that size I would be looking at a Maxi chassis and 4t, even then I'd want assurances on practical payload.

colin - 2019-07-13 3:56 PM

Just be very wary of salesmen's promises. Research what you are buying before signing up to anything.

For a van that size I would be looking at a Maxi chassis and 4t, even then I'd want assurances on practical payload.

Agreed and, if looking at used vans, please check the specification current at the time of building, as the chassis and their respective axle loadings have varied over time. Don't assume that the sales people know all about the vehicles. They earn their money by selling: they are not motorhome consultants - and there are so many van models, from so many manufacturers, that giving accurate guidance on what engine, chassis, and remaining axle loads might be on any given van would require a mind like a computer database!

I would add that assurances that the vehicle can easily be re-plated for greater payload should be treated with great caution. It is factually true as a simple statement, but there can be no guarantee that the increase in MAM will result in a usable payload increase, as simply re-plating does not increase the individual axle loads, and as Colin says above, if one axle is limiting payload, re-plating will not remedy that. Increasing axle capacity is a whole different - and potentially expensive, ball game.

The maxi chassis is the way to go (in fact, I think I'd suggest that the maxi chassis should really be used for all vans, as it has a number of other advantages the light version lacks) for a van of the size you'll need, so you'll need to check exactly what chassis it is on, and what the chassis limitations for the build year were.

You'll get there, but you'll end up knowing more about van running gear than you ever thought possible!! :-D

Archived