Autotrail Media system updates and camera

crbtaylor

Does anyone know if the SatNav maps on the Media system are updateable. The maps are held on a SD card.

Also I would like to add areas view camera to supplement the existing reversing camera, not sure wether to go wired or wireless and where to pick up a 12v feed at both ends. Any help or tips appreciated.

2012 Delaware.

crbtaylor - 2013-04-14 10:48 AM

Thanks, but the software seems to be Windows based and I have a machttp://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_cry.gif

Don't understand what you mean ?in the the above, please explain more fully.

I have the Autotrail Sat Nav SD card , mounted into my Laptop, and have visited and downloaded the 'Naviextras toolbox' utility, all the updates seem to cost quite a bit, so i have'nt bothered, I prefer to use my Tom-Tom, I have lifetime map updates, and many, many POI's, that I use often and don't want to lose. Just wish I could now get the reversing camera to work ALL the time, and not just when in reverse, also it takes an 'Age' to actually show a picture, I usually get fed up and start to reverse, before it comes on. (dangerous i know !) but it is SOOOO slow. Why ? any techies out there care to explain ?

2012 Autorail Savannah with NO through vision, so the camera on ALL the time would be a 'Safety feature'. Ray

Rayjsj - 2013-04-14 12:18 PM

crbtaylor - 2013-04-14 10:48 AM

Thanks, but the software seems to be Windows based and I have a machttp://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_cry.gif

Don't understand what you mean ?in the the above, please explain more fully.

I have the Autotrail Sat Nav SD card , mounted into my Laptop, and have visited and downloaded the 'Naviextras toolbox' utility, all the updates seem to cost quite a bit, so i have'nt bothered, I prefer to use my Tom-Tom, I have lifetime map updates, and many, many POI's, that I use often and don't want to lose. Just wish I could now get the reversing camera to work ALL the time, and not just when in reverse, also it takes an 'Age' to actually show a picture, I usually get fed up and start to reverse, before it comes on. (dangerous i know !) but it is SOOOO slow. Why ? any techies out there care to explain ?

2012 Autorail Savannah with NO through vision, so the camera on ALL the time would be a 'Safety feature'. Ray

In principle, the camera image will be switched via a "trigger wire" taken to the reversing lights switch. This trigger wire will probably emanate from the monitor harness, somewhere near the monitor. If you can identify the trigger wire, disconnect it from its existing feed, and re-connect it to the live 12V feed to the monitor, you should get the camera to come on full time whenever the monitor is "live".

How much use that will be is a bit of a moot point, since it is likely to have a fairly wide angle lens that a) won't give much of a view to the rear and b) will distort distances to make close objects look distant.

If you can identify the monitor make you may be able to get a camera better suited to rear view, but it will not be so good for reversing.

There are cameras that have a "tilt" function to cater for both eventualities, but their cable connections may not be understood by your existing monitor.

It seems there is no common standard as to which pin on the cable connectors controls which function. IMO, you - and the OP, may be better advised to just start again with new cameras and monitor.

Sorry last line should have read, I have a mac computer. Regarding the camera, there was a topic on the Auto Trail Owners website about changing the wiring to turn on the camera permanently, but I cant find it!!. I am in agreement with BRian the existing camera has too wide an angle to be of any use as a full time rear view, hence I intend to fit an additional wired or wireless as soon as I get the power supply sorted.

crbtaylor - 2013-04-14 12:54 PM

Sorry last line should have read, I have a mac computer. Regarding the camera, there was a topic on the Auto Trail Owners website about changing the wiring to turn on the camera permanently, but I cant find it!!. I am in agreement with BRian the existing camera has too wide an angle to be of any use as a full time rear view, hence I intend to fit an additional wired or wireless as soon as I get the power supply sorted.

Don't buy the camera, Colin, until you are certain the monitor can handle multiple, switchable, camera inputs. Most can't.

Archived