Black smoke issue

seadog

Hi guys

Looking for some advice please. I have a Fiat multijet 130 based van, 2010 model. Only done 11,000 miles. We are now getting black smoke from the exhaust when accelerating under load, Engine appears to run smoothly and there is no significant loss of power, although it doesn't appear as responsive as it used to be. I would appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction for diagnosis and checks

Cheers

It could be anything, injectors, turbo, air flow sensor, dirty air filter, intercooler or hoses and so on.

The first thing I would do is take it and have the codes read, and don't drive to far, over fueling ( black smoke) can lead to serious engine problems so get it sorted.

H

Hello,

I am still here!

The Euro 5 engine is not known for producing smoke and in fact has to run very cleanly to avoid clogging up the diesel particulate filter (DPF).

Black smoke can be caused by over-fuelling but it is very unlikely. The most probable cause is a punctured intercooler, a blocked air filter or air flow meter or a tear in or insecure turbo pipe, as suggested above.

You must get this looked at quickly because the excess soot that you are seeing is a fraction of what is being produced with the rest being captured by your DPF and that is a very bad thing. The first sign of a problem in the DPF will be an engine management light which when interrogated by a diagnostic device will state 'DPF, 1st level clogging exceeded' and at that point it can be rescued but not without curing the cause of the smoke first. If you go further and get a '2nd level clogging exceeded' you could be in real trouble because even if the filter is chemically cleaned it sometimes will not be able to function correctly in the future and may require replacement.

As a guide......

If you have had any warning lights come on you must get the cause investigated. The codes present may include the above clogging warning but also might provide clues as to what is wrong. With the diagnostic device connected and the engine running you should be able to see the actual DPF pressure measured in millibars (mb). There are sensors at the front and rear of the DPF and the difference in the pressure between the two (differential pressure) is how the actual pressure is measured. You don't need to worry too much about the 'percentage clogging' figure because anything less than 90% is not a problem but a healthy engine will read between 5mb and 15mb at idle and at a constant 2000 rpm this should not rise much above 25mb. If your figures are substantially higher than these you have to act quickly and find the problem.

The normal way of restoring a clean DPF is to carry out a forced regeneration which is a scary and harsh thing to do but if this attempted without solving the smoke problem it will only make things worse.

Under no circumstances should anyone ever allow a regeneration to be carried out on a vehicle that is smoking! It happens and i have even known the AA to do this. It is potentially fatal for the DPF or even the engine. It is like making someone blow up balloons while having an asthma attack. It will not help at all.

Get this vehicle looked at by someone that you trust as soon as possible.

N

euroserv - 2018-10-12 2:59 PM

Hello,

I am still here!

The Euro 5 engine is not known for producing smoke and in fact has to run very cleanly to avoid clogging up the diesel particulate filter (DPF)...

N

Nick

I don’t think it would make any difference to your advice, but I believe the motor of a 2010-model Ducato MJ 130 would be Euro 4 rather than Euro 5.

I would get a £5 blanking plate off ebay, block off the EGR valve and see what happens.

If it cures the problem it might leave n emissionsa warning light on the dashboard which is an MOT fail.

But at least you would have traced the problem, and made it useable until the next MOT.

Thanks for all your replys guys, you all have been most helpful. I intend to have a good look round tomorrow for anything obvious before booking into the garage.

Just out of interest, can anyone point me in the right direction to finding these intercooler pipes please

Cheers

Derek Uzzell - 2018-10-12 3:18 PM

euroserv - 2018-10-12 2:59 PM

Hello,

I am still here!

The Euro 5 engine is not known for producing smoke and in fact has to run very cleanly to avoid clogging up the diesel particulate filter (DPF)...

N

Nick

I don’t think it would make any difference to your advice, but I believe the motor of a 2010-model Ducato MJ 130 would be Euro 4 rather than Euro 5.

Hi Derek,

I must have been a bit off colour on Friday; you are exactly right of course. On the other hand, i don't mind how many times that advice about E5 engines get's read because everyone should know it.

Anyway, apart from what has already been suggested; if the smoke is accompanied by a loss of throttle response it would point to a throttle body defect or EGR valve sticking (which is most unusual on these engines but possible).

I would remove the right hand rubber pipe from the EGR solenoid valve (just under the windscreen scuttle above the engine) and see if it makes a difference. If it clears up the smoking; you need a throttle body and most likely a solenoid too. Check that the rubber pipe from the solenoid valve to the EGR is not blocked or split too. This can cause odd things to happen like 'hunting' when at idle.

N

"i don't mind how many times that advice about E5 engines get's read because everyone should know it."

Presumably the advice referred to here is that Euro 5 engines must run clean to avoid damaging the DPF, and the passage quoted suggests that there is something owners can do to ensure that they do. I'm aware of the advice to run periodically at 3,000rpm for 20 minutes if subjected to regular slow short runs, but is there anything else we should or could be doing? I've never seen the light come on to indicate that the DPF is regenerating, so have always assumed that my pattern of use (mostly long runs at around 60mph, which I imagine is fairly typical) is sufficient to keep it clean. Is that a reasonable assumption, or should I be working it harder from time to time?

euroserv - 2018-10-15 4:28 PM

r EGR valve sticking (which is most unusual on these engines but possible).

My understanding is that whitevanman has never heard of the EGR valve because he gives it plenty of welly... high engine speeds...hot engine and high mileage to blow the muck through and keep it clear. (lol)

Wheras old duffer in motorhome doing 11,000 miles in 8 years ... low engine speeds...cold engine etc is far more likely to get the EGR valve clogged up :-S

If anything I'd imagine a MH engine will be running for far longer at any given time, though not as often. The way these things are geared you hit 2500rpm in 6th @ barely 60mph and that will be plenty enough to warm it up. So hardly a problem with EGR or DPF clogging up. Unless you just go to the shop with it? We do 20-30000 km/year which might be towards the upper end of MH use but I also don't know why anyone would have a MH to drive just 10-20km per trip.

spirou - 2018-10-16 6:38 PM

don't know why anyone would have a MH to drive just 10-20km per trip.

For me the journey is part of the holiday. If I'm going to Benidorm for a week I might take a fortnight to get there and a fortnight to get back. :-D So lots of short journeys with cold engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived