Changing spedo & rev counter dials on Ducatto

There are instructions in the “How to...”. section of the Lockwood website.

https://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/instructions/Fiat/C120_C124_Etc_Fiat_Ducato.pdf

The task is relatively straightforward, though does require a little care.

Transient settings for the instrument-cluster display (eg. date and time) will need to be re-input after the cluster has been reconnected electrically.

The following 2-page forum discussion may be of interest to you

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Boxer-Ducato-Relay-Speedometer-difficult-to-read-in-daylight/50814/

I’ve swapped over the speedometer face of my Ducato-based Rapido’s instrument-cluster several times and I could probably now carry out the complete task inside 15 minutes, but you’ll be replacing the faces of the tachometer, fuel and temperature gauges as well as the speedometer’s.

The only special equipment you’ll need is an appropriate tool for the Torx screws that hold the cover above the cluster and for the Torx screws that attach the cluster to the dashboard.

Just take your time and be gentle.

Guest rael
I've not done it myself but have had it done to two LHD motorhomes i've imported to change from KPH to MPH. Apparently the tricky bit is getting the needle off and then back on in the correct place. The guy who did the first one would not guarantee this part of the work but in the end it was fine. Good look!

The Lockwood instructions advise as follows:

If you gently move the needle in a clockwise direction you will find it moves easily, now move it back in an anti-clockwise direction and you will feel a resistance as it comes to a natural stop.

The centre 'hub cap' of the needle can be taken off leaving the rest of the needle in place (fig.9).

The cap is just clipped on where the pointer comes out. Carefully insert a small electrical screwdriver under the needle hub on the opposite side to the needle pointer. Then lift the screwdriver handle which will tilt the hub cap toward the needle pointer and it can then be removed (it simply clips back in place when the job is finished).

With the needle 'hub cap' removed you will be able to feed the dial face up the length of the needle.

I don’t recall exactly what I’ve done when swapping the speedometer faces over, but I never had any difficulty ensuring that the speedometer needle was correctly positioned.

Archived