Compass Avantagarde - Side marker lights

TheLaird

Van passed its MOT but the side marker light at front driver side is out (should have failed MOT but .... no questions asked).

How do I check the light? Is it done from outside or inside? Can I just pop of the cover or is that being too simple? I can then check voltage/bulb.

Many thanks

I believe you own a 2009 Compass Avantgarde 130 model.

I assume you are referring to one of the two high-level position lights on the vehicle's overcab section. The attached image shows the light on the left-hand side, but the light on the right (driver's side) is the same design.

I don't know how to access the light's bulb (assuming that the light is not an LED type) but someone familiar with an Avantgarde 130 of that era may be able to advise.

light.jpg.75f2eeb91b9465318ed0369ffc10290d.jpg

TheLaird - 2022-03-17 5:35 PM

I think they are JOKON PL2000 WHITE CLEAR FRONT MARKER LAMPS LIGHTS ELDDIS AUTOQUEST MOTORHOME

Not had much like trying ot find out how to fit them.

This link is to an advert for a JOKON PL2000 front marker light

https://www.camperlands.co.uk/jokon-pl2000-front-marker-lamp-clear.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwqbLtuLN9gIV6YBQBh3WqgKtEAQYASABEgImePD_BwE

There are 3 photos of the light (copied below) and it's evident that it is in two parts. The body of the light (Images 1 and 2) is fixed to the motorhome using 2 screws, and the lens (Image 3) clips on to the body. So to access the bulb, one just (carefully) prises the lens off the body.

(Incidentally, I notice that there were two Avantgarde 130 versions marketed around 2009. One version (the one in my photo above ) had a boxy overcab design: the other had a much more curvy overcab and I assume that's the version you have. As you've said, the same position light unit is used in both cases.)

247925069_frontofbody.jpg.be407ead03bab5731dc319e6080bf361.jpg

219560849_rearofbody.jpg.4c46f29daace53a4c2d957ad92c72a82.jpg

lens.jpg.8408b31506425078b22aa43c4f00572c.jpg

For what it's worth, I'm not certain that the fact that this particular light was not illuminating meant the motorhome should have failed the MOT test.

The relevant MOT inspection manual refers to this type of light as an "end-outline marker lamp" and says

"End-outline marker lamps

You must inspect end-outline marker lamps on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1991 that are wider than 2,100mm, excluding side mirrors.

Class 3 vehicles do not need end-outline marker lamps.

The front and rear end outline marker lamps on each side can be combined in one lamp."

The end-outline marker lamps of my 2015 Rapido motorhome were the 'combined' type. There were no end-outline marker lamps on the Rapido's front or rear bodywork, just a single high-level lamp on each side towards the vehicle's front, with a single bulb in each lamp and a lens that was white facing forwards and red facing rearwards.

Online photos show that a 2009 Avantgarde 130 had 'combined' end-outline marker lamps on the side-bodywork towards the vehicle's rear (Avantgarde image attached below) as well a pair of white lamps on the front of the overcab 'luton' part of the body. An Avantgarde 130's combined end-outline marker lamps meet the MOT test's strictures and I'd argue that this makes the lamps on the motothome's luton supplementary to technical requirements and therefore they should not be checked during the MOT test.

(It's interesting to see from online discussions how much trouble these lights cause motorhome owners (and MOT testers) when the vehicle is MOT'd.)

1180464437_avantgardelamp.png.7fe726a3d6badafb24044802744f07f2.png

I can't find anything online about problems replacing the bulb of this particular lamp, but - given the age of your motorhome (and assuming the lamp is original) - you should be prepared for the lens breaking when you attempt to remove it, as there are general comments about JOKON lamp lenses being fragile. At least the complete lamp is quite cheap, so even if the lens broke replacing it would not cost the earth.

Archived