Compass Cruiser 750

NickTarn

Hi we are in the process of re_registering a UK right hand drive Compass Cruiser 750 in France and have run into a few problems.

Most can be solved fairly simply such as replacing tyres, removing the tow bar and fitting extra lights on the side of the van.

However the van is based on a Peugeot chassis which has been extended by AL_KO this has created two more problems. The French authorities want a « justificative régulatire » for the brakes and seatbelts » which AL-KO in the UK say is available but it seems to be taking forever to get to us in France.

The worst problem is the French Authorities want another justificative regulatire for the rear field of vison from the cab in the rear view mirror. Despite the vehicle having a rear view camera. They want confirmation that the rear view mirror has the same field of view for right hand drive as left hand drive.

We have found the EU document relating to field of view and can check it ourselves but that does not appear to be satisfactory. We have tried going to Hymer who took over Compass but they do not seem to be willing to help.

Has anyone encountered this problem or any ideas where we could get the field of view measured in France.

Best Regards

Nick

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Nick.

The Cruiser 750 model (details here)

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/buyers-guide/motorhomes/details/750/12008

would have been built when the Compass brand was part of the Explorer Group that was acquired by Hymer in 2017 - so it’s not too surprising that Hymer nowadays could not help given the age of your motorhome.

In the past there has been discussion on this forum about registering a RHD motorhome in France (2011 entry here)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Registering-a-UK-built-MH-in-France-/23386/

I assume when you talk about “...the rear field of vison from the cab in the rear view mirror” you are referring to the external mirrors on the cab doors and not to an interior rear-view mirror that might be on the inside of the windscreen?

Having owned a RHD motorhome and two LHD motorhomes, I can easily believe that the field of vision from the driver’s seat of the exterior mirrors of a RHD model might well be inferior to the mirrors of a LHD equivalent when the RHD vehicle is driven ‘on the right’. But I would have thought the interior mirror would be the same for RHD and LHD vehicles.

I don’t recall mirror field of vision ever coming up before when enquiries have arisen about registering a RHD motorhome in France.

At least some of the problem is likely to be because your Cruiser 750 won’t have had EWVTA (European Whole Vehicle Type Approval) when it was built and, consequently, will not have a certificates of conformity that might provide confirmation that its brakes, seatbelts, mirrors, etc. conform to agreed standards.

NickTarn - 2021-01-12 1:51 PM.............................The worst problem is the French Authorities want another justificative regulatire for the rear field of vison from the cab in the rear view mirror. Despite the vehicle having a rear view camera. They want confirmation that the rear view mirror has the same field of view for right hand drive as left hand drive................................

You may find this link useful: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:42014X0808(02)

It is to a 2014 UNECE regulation that set out, commencing around paragraph 15 (p40), the requirement.

However, as that is a 2014 document, and your van is older than that, it seems you will need two things.

First, to know what actual standard your van legally needs to meet,

and second, who is competent to provide the "justificative" (which seems to be a "legal" opinion rather than a ley opinion).

It may be that your local controle technique would be able to give that judgement, or may know of someone who can.

As you will see from the regulation, the requirement is not that demanding (although the description may give the opposite impression!), it just needs setting up, and verifying by/to the satisfaction of, the competent person.

I somehow doubt anyone currently on here will have done what you are doing, as it is an unusual requirement. I think someone did take his UK van down to live in the Tarn? a few years back, but I can't remember his name and neither can I construct search terms to identify him. However, Derek may be able to perform that miracle! :-)

Probably Bill Barnes (forum name “Archiesgrandad”) who in 2015 was living in Lot and was in the process of French-registering a 1997 RHD Pilote Galaxy 25 motorhome. The primary ‘technical’ difficulty then seems to have been how to get the vehicle’s headlamps off. Problems with the registration procedure itself were still ongoing 10 months later, but were finally successful.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/I-give-up-/40813/

The Pilote was sold in 2017

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/This-time-it-really-is-over-/47886/

and I think Bill has moved back to the UK.

Archived