Congratulations

Randonneur

Guest pelmetman
So far 8-) .........As I 've struggled to log back on using er in doors tablet.......which drives me bonkers >:-( ......coz my laptop has died . :-) ......

Guest pelmetman
Randonneur - 2016-10-10 9:13 PM

pelmetman - 2016-10-10 8:31 PM

So far 8-) .........As I 've struggled to log back on using er in doors tablet.......which drives me bonkers >:-( ......coz my laptop has died . :-) ......

Oh dear, sorry but my laptop and tablet are working ok.

Not complaining ;-) .......except about er in doors tablet *-) ......although logging on was quite a tour de force 8-) ........

Unfortunately for some I managed it :D ......

The anti-spam procedure now in place is described in Duncan’s posting of 6 October 2016 1:14 PM here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Spam-ongoing/44845/31/#M509999

The snag with ‘human’ vetting should be self-evident - you need a human to do it. Full Moderator privileges are required to perform the vetting and to authorise or ban someone seeking to register on the OA&L forums. Presumably this means that 'non-spammers' wishing to register on these forums outside normal UK office hours are going to be put on hold until someone with full Moderator privileges can vet and authorise the registration. Unless a Moderator is going to oversee forum registration 24/7, in future there’s going to be a delay from every Friday evening to Monday morning during which forum registration can’t take place, and this delay will extend when Bank Holidays are involved.

Once it became apparent that the spammers were (essentially) posting manually to these forums, human oversight of the registration process became unavoidable. It’s going to be interesting to see whether it has any significant effect on the number of ‘genuine’ new users who register.

Derek, Martin, et al.

Last weekend I moved 24 posts from 3 spammers and reported them to Duncan who has since banned them.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-10-11 9:17 AM

The snag with ‘human’ vetting should be self-evident - you need a human to do it. Full Moderator privileges are required to perform the vetting and to authorise or ban someone seeking to register on the OA&L forums. Presumably this means that 'non-spammers' wishing to register on these forums outside normal UK office hours are going to be put on hold until someone with full Moderator privileges can vet and authorise the registration. Unless a Moderator is going to oversee forum registration 24/7, in future there’s going to be a delay from every Friday evening to Monday morning during which forum registration can’t take place, and this delay will extend when Bank Holidays are involved.

And I believe Duncan is putting plans in place to try and alleviate this delay. Hopefully Duncan will post when things are finalised.

Keith.

Since last week we had 70 attempted signups. Of these, only about 4 were genuine, the rest were spammers and have been deleted. Thanks to the motorhome show, a lot of this week's signups look genuine, but I require them all to respond to questions before I will activate their account. It's a little laborious until the spammers get the message, but the end result is a massive reduction in the problem. Existing spam accounts will pop up from time to time, but as they do they'll all get banned.

For the medium term, other things are now in discussion. I'll let you all know when we have some news.

Archived