Dometic hob.

Brian Kirby

I wonder, does anyone else have a Dometic hob HBH2007? This is a fully recessed, three burner in line hob, with a split (two part) cast-iron pan trivet. It also has a split (two part) glass cover.

Ours is in a 2017 Knaus Boxstar Street 600 PVC, but I'm sure it will have been fitted by other manufacturers, and probably to different Knaus models as well.

I don't know when this hob type was first produced, so cannot offer guidance on the ages of vans to which it may have been fitted. Neither can I find it among Dometic's web products lists, although they have provided the alternative model mumber of PIKSK2007, and a product number of 958048127.

If you do have such a hob, could you PM me please? Many thanks.

You may well be aware of this, but Leisureshopdirect’s website carries a reference to the glass cover for the Dometic HBH2007 hob

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan-accessories/temporary/dometic-hbh2007-glass-cover

so they may be able to help with the information you are seeking.

(It wouldn’t much surprise if this hob was unique to Knaus vehicles as I’ve occasionally come across motorhomes with Dometic kit that I’ve never seen on other marques.)

Thanks Derek. No, it isn't the glass covers I'm interested in. There is a feature of the hob regarding the pan trivets (cast iron, I kid you not!) that is unsatisfactory, and I'm wondering whether anyone else has the same, or similar, hob to see if they are encountering the same problem. This feature apart, the hob is fine and works well.

Brian Kirby - 2018-10-21 12:36 PM

There is a feature of the hob regarding the pan trivets that is unsatisfactory.

Brian,

So what is 'unsatisfactory' with the pan trivets? Give us a clue and someone may be able to suggest a fix or workaround.

Keith.

Cast Iron - yes an odd choice of material.

The better wood burners use this material because it absorbs the heat well and retains it for longer.

What a weird setup then to have such a large area covered by that heavy material rather than the smaller and lighter individual chrome units usually used.

The 3-burners-in-line hob is mentioned in a July 2015 review of a Knaus Sun TI 700 MEG model.

“...The hob features domestic-style, twist-and-push controls with auto ignition, so they’re easy to operate with one hand. Another home-type feature is cast iron trivets. These – on a new cooker which we’ve yet to see elsewhere – have the advantage of sitting down solidly with the result that there are no on-road rattles from the hob. Hurrah!

The burners appear quite small (no big, high-speed ring here), but boiled my first-of-the-day kettle, so few complaints – the absolutely essential coffee arriving in reasonable time...”

https://www.lowdhams.com/static/media/knaus-sun-ti-700.pdf

and there are more pictures of the hob in this 2016 YouTube video

Evidently there were (at least) two variants of this hob, as Brian’s clearly has a 2-piece glass lid, whereas the attached photo - also of a hob in a Knaus - has a 1-piece glass lid.

Knaus motorhomes had 3-burners-in-line hobs for some while before the version with the cast-iron trivet began to be fitted. As it seems unlikely that Brian will get feedback from this forum about his hob, the best place to discuss this is probably via the Knaus Facebook site

https://en-gb.facebook.com/knausuk/

or via the Knaus Motorhome Owners Club

http://www.knausowners.com/

knaus-hob.jpg.80853f1c41be5ccb82cf9a3a352d0653.jpg

Keithl - 2018-10-27 1:12 PM

Brian Kirby - 2018-10-21 12:36 PM

There is a feature of the hob regarding the pan trivets that is unsatisfactory.

Brian,

So what is 'unsatisfactory' with the pan trivets? Give us a clue and someone may be able to suggest a fix or workaround.

Keith.

Don't want to say too much at present, as I have contacted Dometic on the issue and they haven't yet responded.

But, in short, the trivets are retained in the hob deck by "rubber" grommets. The heat generated in the trivets while cooking causes the grommets to stick to the trivet, so that removing the trivets to clean the hob results in the grommets pulling from the hob deck, rather than the trivets from the grommets. This damages the grommets, so that they no longer secure the trivets to the hob. From present experience, the process of grommet destruction takes about 14 days in normal use.

The trivets weigh 2.1kg, and I have reservations about 2.1kg of loose cast iron following me down the road! I have so far replaced the worst affected grommets twice (5 weeks use), and as a result have queried the price of replacements! :-) Thank you all for your interest.

The previous 3-burners-in-line hob Knaus used had a wire framework above the burners (photo attached) and the chance of heat-soak affecting the grommets would have been smaller.

With a cast-iron frame the risk of the grommets being harmed would be far higher (I’d say “inevitable") unless the grommets were made of heat-proof material.

1089315464_wirehob.jpg.ac59c0528580f79c29f7814732cbeaed.jpg

Derek Uzzell - 2018-10-28 1:48 PM

The previous 3-burners-in-line hob Knaus used had a wire framework above the burners (photo attached) and the chance of heat-soak affecting the grommets would have been smaller.

With a cast-iron frame the risk of the grommets being harmed would be far higher (I’d say “inevitable") unless the grommets were made of heat-proof material.

Thanks Derek. That looks very close in shape to the one we have so, if the trivet attachment points are the same, it appears feasible as a swap-in. Can you point me to any further details of that hob? It would be useful to get a model number for positive identification - so that I can quote it back to Dometic.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-10-28 5:39 PM

I notice that ‘support grommets’ for Dometic-Cramer hobs can be made of rubber (cheap) or Teflon (expensive).

http://www.caravanningequipment.co.uk/onlinestore/cat_1414334-Dometic-Universal-Cookware-Spares.html

I would have thought that the hob with cast-iron trivet ought to have Teflon grommets.

Thanks again. The ones I bought were rubber (expensive!). What I'm hoping is that Dometic have a source of silicone rubber grommets, which should be good for 600C.

I have a suspicion that the Teflon in your link referred to the trivet coating and not the grommet. From what I can see, it seems Teflon can be applied to rubber as a coating, but not incorporated into it to increase its heat resistance. Whatever, my rubber ones were even more expensive than those!!

Brian - as a cheap stopgap would it be possible to buy some silicone tubing of the right diameter and cut small lengths to mimic the grommet? 

Freely available from model shops in a variety of sizes and thicknesses. (Used as fuel tubing or exhaust tubing on Model aeroplanes)

Brian Kirby - 2018-10-28 6:31 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2018-10-28 5:39 PM

I notice that ‘support grommets’ for Dometic-Cramer hobs can be made of rubber (cheap) or Teflon (expensive).

http://www.caravanningequipment.co.uk/onlinestore/cat_1414334-Dometic-Universal-Cookware-Spares.html

I would have thought that the hob with cast-iron trivet ought to have Teflon grommets.

Thanks again. The ones I bought were rubber (expensive!). What I'm hoping is that Dometic have a source of silicone rubber grommets, which should be good for 600C.

I have a suspicion that the Teflon in your link referred to the trivet coating and not the grommet. From what I can see, it seems Teflon can be applied to rubber as a coating, but not incorporated into it to increase its heat resistance. Whatever, my rubber ones were even more expensive than those!!

It’s the ‘grommets’ that are Teflon (another advert here)

https://www.reimo.com/en/70595-teflon_connection_piece/

though I’m very doubtful they’d cope with a 600C temperature.

Regarding the 3-burners-in-line hob with a wire framework above the burners, I can’t give you any Dometic identifying details, but it’s evident that Knaus were fitting this to their motorhome models 10 years or so ago.

http://www.harbourcreek.co.uk/listings/knaus-van-ti-motorhome-2008-fiat-2-3l-manual-in-excellent-condition/

It also seems that Knaus fits the same cast-iron-trivet hob to some of their caravans

Even when a Cramer or SMEG hob has ‘wire’ pan supports, removing the supports to clean the hob’s surface will very likely damage the rubber grommets that the supports plug into. I’ve damaged the grommets in the past and nowadays I clean the hob’s surface as best I can while leaving the pan supports in place. This 2017 MHFun discussion refers

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/dometic-hob-grommet-thingies-are-crap-help-pls.156914/

Dometic may well suggest that there is enough room beneath and through the cast-iron trivets' framework to clean the hob’s surface without needing to remove the trivets and, consequently, the rubber grommets heat resistance is adequate.

As I’ve said above, Teflon ‘bushes’ (Part Number 70595) are marketed for Dometic/Cramer hobs/cookers

https://www.reimo.com/en/70595-teflon_connection_piece/

and if these are suitable for the Dometic cast-iron-trivet hob that Knaus fits to its motorhomes and caravans, it would be worth trying them instead of the rubber variety.

(I can’t find any UK retailer offering the 70595 bush, but they seem to be easily obtained abroad.)

Firstly I must compliment you on having such a clean job. It looks spotless. I must clean mine better !!

I think the gromett issue is just collateral damage if you remove the trivett regularly. I have had exactly the same thing happen with my smev / dometic hobs. I've now stopped removing the chrome pan trivett to clean the hob and just clean round them instead.

Perhaps if the hobs were better engineered they wouldn't need the rubber gromett ?

Archived