Ducato Pvc rear door hinges stiff

snowie

I’m imagining that this might be a common problem? Offside door hinges, maybe mostly the bottom one are very stiff. Near side are fine. Query is, can they be stripped and rebushud, or is it a replacement job?

Can’t see any way to apply grease other than by disassembling.

Regards

Snowie

Ps. Of course mine was originally a “white van” so nothing special,

I doubt if there’s anything in the service schedule?

The following links refer

https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/298504-x2-50-270-degree-rear-doors.html

http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/185-bodywork-trim/106609-rear-door-hinges.html

One person (MHFacts forum participant) drilled holes in the hinges to allow lubricant to penetrate.

The important thing is to address the stiffness problem before it becomes so bad that the metal of the door itself splits.

(The service schedule very likely does include lubricating door hinges. But if the design of the hinges is such that the lubricant cannot penetrate into the hinge, it’s all rather academic!)

Thanks for that Derek, good to know Fiat are cherishing their customers as usual.

My wife had trouble closing our van doors just today, and I suppose it made me think I should do something about it. As it’s only the offside one it might be easier than the accounts you have linked to. Have to leave drilling until we get home tho’

Regards

Snowie

I too drilled holes in a door hinge (on a Talisman) many years ago and it sort of worked, but those hinges are a lot lighter than a Ducato rear door's.

The problem is that if the hinge pin is rusty the rust will stop any lubricant getting in.

One temproary fix might be to heat it all up in situ with a hair dryer - not quite so hot as a heat gun - and see if that gets it moving without damaging the paint work.

If it is really siezed there is the risk of damaging the bodywork when you open or shut the door.

If you do decide to remove the hinge be aware the door is very heavy and not easy to support so to avoid the risk of door or body work damage you will need a sturdy and firm support for it, and preferably no wind, and if you have an assistant on hand that might be handy.

A new hinge will probably come in primer so you will also need some matching paint.

As an initial lubricant I would try proper penetrating oil, but watch out with heat as some of it is very inflamable!

Hi, I’ve attempted to spray WD40 into the bearing surfaces of the hinge, and maybe it feels a little better than at first, but I think it will take repeated and regular attention to make progress.

As for drilling, I would drill from opposite sides, on those same surfaces, is that right?

Regards

Snowie

Well I think mine might have been a double glazing contractor or similar.

A lot of dust and powdery rubbish which no doubt circulated around the door openings, and rear doors and sliding door in full use.

Saved it from a terrible long term fate: and it keeps showing its gratitude!

Cheers from sunny Aguilas Spain, could be 23deg today!

Snowie

• 2 months later...

Hi

The hinges on my old van seized up after it was about 6 years old. I let it go too far and the stiff hinges caused metal fatigue in the offside door. I ended up buying a door off ebay incl hinges same colour. This came from one of the few Mfr's that builds on Ducato's but replaces the rear doors with a fibreglass panel - eg IH.

Prior to getting the new door, I drilled the hinges which helped greatly, but the damage had already been done to the door by then. Drilled hinges have a habit of spewing rust and look rather unsightly. I ended up filling them (some of that silver 'chemical metal').

I don't believe that the door mounted bike rack helped.

I am keen to avoid the same with my now three year old 'new' van, and am unsure what to attack the hinges with as a preventative measure. Any tips from older van owners who have managed to keep the rear doors running smooth at 7+ years old gratefully appreciated!

Nigel

snowie - 2018-03-09 7:10 PM

Thanks for that Derek, good to know Fiat are cherishing their customers as usual.

My wife had trouble closing our van doors just today, and I suppose it made me think I should do something about it. As it’s only the offside one it might be easier than the accounts you have linked to. Have to leave drilling until we get home tho’

Regards

Snowie

It sounds like another cheap, Fiat bought in part. My inclination would be to change it for a better hinge.

I’m not sure where one might get a “better hinge” from...

There’s a photo of the hinges on this May 2018 thread and they are hardly a standardised design.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/ducato-boxer-relay-rear-hinge-lubrication/49334/

It OUGHT to be practicable to DIY re-engineer the hinges to carry a stainless-steel pin, but I can’t see many PVC owners going to those lengths.

Archived