Ducato X250 - Air Suspension

steve101

Hi all. It appears after my latest trip that I had an issue with the rear suspension.

Upon checking the 'integrated' bump stops it appears like many I am running with flattish leaf springs and my bump stops are shot.

The one in particular is on the offside of the vehicle, the bottom of the bump stop has perished. (This is the one under the interior water tank)

I have order the Marcle semi air suspension kit with gauge to be fitted.

From reading through the fitting instructions it is saying to coat all steel parts with a body wax.

Can anyone who had fitted one of these kits tell me if they have done this? If so what product did you use please?

steve101 - 2016-06-03 9:57 PM

...I have order the Marcle semi air suspension kit with gauge to be fitted.

From reading through the fitting instructions it is saying to coat all steel parts with a body wax.

Can anyone who had fitted one of these kits tell me if they have done this? If so what product did you use please?

If you are not going to install the semi-air kit yourself I suggest you postpone the Waxoyl spraying for a while. Waxoyl is mucky stuff and, should there be a problem soon after the installation has taken place, the fitter won’t be overjoyed to find Waxoyl covering everything.

Obviously if you plan to fit the kit yourself, you won’t be concerned about getting your hands and tools messy.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-06-04 9:21 AM

steve101 - 2016-06-03 9:57 PM

...I have order the Marcle semi air suspension kit with gauge to be fitted.

If you are not going to install the semi-air kit yourself I suggest you postpone the Waxoyl spraying for a while. Waxoyl is mucky stuff and, should there be a problem soon after the installation has taken place, the fitter won’t be overjoyed to find Waxoyl covering everything.

Obviously if you plan to fit the kit yourself, you won’t be concerned about getting your hands and tools messy.

Waxoil also softens rubber which is not ideal for the bellows. Presumably you coat the steel parts prior to fixing with a paint brush.

Thanks for the offer of the bump stops. I figure if mine have worn out in less than four years I would only end up doing it again in another 3/4 years.

re the Waxoil I did not know that it was not healthy for rubber. I will be fitting it myself.

I gave the original bump stops a good dosing of WD40 last night and gave it a few whacks with a mallet and chisel to losen them off. I also sprayed up the u bolt nuts.

I am thinking I would want to coat them before putting them on, this was I can do both sides of the brackets?

All the threads I have read, no one has mentioned coating them up at all!!

I sprayed all the brackets and fixings after I had installed the kit but was very careful to avoid spraying the bellows.

I think it would be way too messy to try and install after coating with Waxoyl but that's your choice!

Keith.

Don't worry about getting it on your hands as it is very friendly to skin. In fact hands feel very soft after use - just like the rubber I suppose. Personally I wouldn't spray as it would be difficult to avoid contaminating the bellows with the aerosol.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi has anyone with air suspension had any problems just wondering about the reliability of these after market systems be good to get any info good or bad also recommendations for systems as I see several different offered on the net

Haven't a tin to look at but I think Waxoyl is rubber friendly but make sure

Hi Witzend,

I fitted a Dunlop system, purchased from Marcle Leisure, to our Merc Sprinter based AT in 2010 and (touchwood) to date we have had absolutely no issues with it.

It is only the basic system with two independent Schrader valves for inflation and I normally check it before every trip and it usually requires 2 or 3 psi to get back to my optimum 40 psi.

I would thoroughly recommend the design, quality and ease of fit of the Dunlop system. You can download the fitting instructions from Marcle's website if you want to see what is involved.

Keith.

Just a comment, which will probably start a debate.

Although WD40 says it is a lubricant, it's really for water dispersal (WD) and may free a thread temporalily by washing away crud, but it will need a grease to really free it. I use a penetrating oil.

we also fitted Dunlop Air suspension from Marcle in 2011. A much better ride and cornering. We have a 12v pump to adjust ours,as we have found that sometimes being in the hot sun of Spain, it appears to need slight adjustment! VERY pleased with our system , and well worth the cost. We did not fit ourselves , but got the local Fiat commercial garage to install, but bought ourselves from Marcle

PJay

Hi my m/h had alko top up fitted as original equipment to increase load from 3500 to 4150. the bellows were leaking and alklo will not supply parts to retail customers so I bought a kit from ebay .The full kit was priced at £259 but I got £20 knocked off as I did not require the gauges that were part of the kit.Came 3 days after ordering took an hour to fit first side 25min to fit second side. More time was spent jacking up body and undoing rusty bolts than fitting the new units.The seller is robrob444 and is based in St Helens I needed to get the suspension sorted as I now carry a Honda Innova on a rack at the back and has put the rear axle weight up to around 2230kg ,70kg below max. Have just returned from Florence ,Cattolica ,all worked well.

Regards David

Fitting was not straight forward. Well the fitting would have been if the bump stops had come out.

Both were seized in good and proper. The van is only 4 years old. I was trying everything to loosen them. In the end the garage had to take control. They couldn't get them out either. They ended up welding a nut to them to get some good leverage on them.

They did a cracking on on the install.

Tonight I have pasted a layer of waxoyl clear on to the metal parts. I wiped any over brushing off the bellows to be on the safe side.

Massive different on the springs. They now have shape to them! Not had much of a chance to experiment with the driving of it as yet but time will tell I guess. I currently have them set to 30 psi.

I did contact markle about pressures and they basically said that anything below 20psi and you would not really get any benefit from them.

witzend - 2016-06-18 10:19 AM

On these systems if you have coloured pipes is there a correct side to fit them. Maybe like red is on the N/S

Hi Witzend,

Here is an extract from the Dunlop instructions I received with my kit...

"Black tube to left-hand spring, Blue tube to right-hand spring."

All the instructions are available for download on the Marcle website. Link

Keith.

Edited to add Link above.

And just worked out you have a circa 9 year old X250 so here is the relevant kit... Link to kit and the fitting instructions... Link to Instructions

Archived