Elecsol 110 amp battery

spiritofkent

My leisure battery was less than 3 years into a 5 year guarentee. It sarted to cause problems by discharging after 3/4hrs use with tv. I contacted the company 3 times by phone. they did not reply. I e.mailed them re probs. they did not reply. I went on holiday to France and battery failed after 3 hrs use,dropping to 10.5v. I had to buy a new battery in France and due to weight restrictions could not bring the old one home. Elecsol say that without the battery they will not help me re the 2 yrs remaining guarentee.. Can any one give advice or any one with similar problems. The outlet I bought the battery from state they no longer deal with Elecsol. I will name if necessary

spiritofkent - 2012-11-24 4:27 PM

My leisure battery was less than 3 years into a 5 year guarentee. It sarted to cause problems by discharging after 3/4hrs use with tv. I contacted the company 3 times by phone. they did not reply. I e.mailed them re probs. they did not reply. I went on holiday to France and battery failed after 3 hrs use,dropping to 10.5v. I had to buy a new battery in France and due to weight restrictions could not bring the old one home. Elecsol say that without the battery they will not help me re the 2 yrs remaining guarentee.. Can any one give advice or any one with similar problems. The outlet I bought the battery from state they no longer deal with Elecsol. I will name if necessary

Very annoying for you. There's no real point to naming the supplier, because the guarantee that was not honoured came direct from Elecsol.

In the absence of the battery (and, I suspect, even if you had brought it home), you would have great difficulty proving it was defective, or not fit for purpose, after three years. There is too much possibility that it might have been unintentionally abused over the intervening three years and, in its absence, you couldn't disprove that allegation were it to be made. So, no real case to mount against the supplier.

I haven't read Elecsol's guarantee terms, but would expect them to have a number of exclusions and pre-conditions to be met. I would expect one to be that the battery must be returned to them or their agent for examination, which of course you can no longer do. In the absence of the evidence, therefore, I'm afraid I think you'll just have to chalk this one up to experience.

What make/size/type replacement did you get?

Sorry but I have to agree with all the previous replies, no battery no claim simple as that.

But I have to ask, why did you not buy a new battery before going to France knowing it was already failing?

You would still have had the old battery to pursue a claim with Elecsol then.

Keith.

PS And no use naming the retailer as all that will do is get this thread pulled.

I`ve been using Elecsol for years now and only ever had 1 problem.

That was after 2 years and i went back to the dealer with the battery and my receipt.

They tested it and then swapped it without question and i got a new one.

They did put the " Original Date Of Purchase " on the new battery sticker and told me

that the new battery only had the balance of the 5 year warranty which i though was fair.

Why did you go on holiday to France with a " Possibly Duff Battery " ?

I can understand Elecsol saying " No Battery No Claim " otherwise you can imagine

some of the stunts some people would try on with them.

I also would expect Elecsol to want to see the failed leisure-battery before agreeing to replace it under warranty (or at least to be provided with proof that the battery had been professionally tested and with what result).

This earlier forum post is worth reading in its entirety

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=27241&posts=12

When I swapped a duff Halfords battery after 2 years they gave me a new battery and a new three year guarantee - don't know if that was a mistake or not but I didn't argue!

I bought a new battery for our 7 year old MR2 a year ago from a local motor factor and that too came with a three year battery. That only lasted a year and last week they gave me a new battery and a new three year warranty. That was deliberate and, they said, as compensation for my inconvenience - what wonderful attitude and I will of course be buying more things there as needed!

I've only ever had Elecsol as fitted by a dealer on a new to us secondhand van and on three occasions I have had them fail. Two within less than a year were replaced without question by the dealer under their own warranty and the third after two years which nobody wanted to know including Elecsol - so I will never buy one of their batteries - Simples!!

Guest Peter James

Thanks for the info. I think I'll stick to bog standard cheap whitevanman batteries.

But, digressing slightly, Twenty years ago Unipart offered a battery with a guarantee for as long as you owned the vehicle. Too good to be true I thought, but no I read the guarantee and all seemed in order. I had just bought a new van so bought a heavier duty battery to go in it. I got four new batteries from that guarantee - one about every 4 years free of charge!. But by the time I got to the 4th Unipart had found a way out. The lifetime guarantee only applied to one of their battery brands - can't remember exactly so will call it 'Brand X'. When I got to the 4th change I found 'Brand X' was not in stock. I could only get another of their brands that did not have the lifetime guarantee - only a standard 3 years. So the final battery did not have the lifetime guarantee (although I since sold the van so I didn't lose out)

Hi,

No surprise here Elecsol is a one man band operation re selling batteries out of a shed in the Wirral

No A/H rating on the "carbon fiber" range just model numbers ie 110, 220 etc you need to read the small print to get the actual amp hour rating which is a lot less than what you think you are buying - soon to be outlawed by new EU regs

Buyer beware

Ray

You probably didn't intend it as a slur on 'one man band operations' as sometimes, but by no means all the time, service from small companies goes well beyond expectations whereas service from large operations run by accountants can fall well short of expectations and entitlements!!

im surprised at the number of dissatisfied elecsol customers! anyone out there to defend them??

i ask cos my 9 year old gel battery is struggling to hold charge now (although it has never failed me), so i have decided to replace it before i go for my winter break in jan. im thinking of getting an AGM of around 100/120ah. so far on this thread elecsol seems to be best avoided 8-)

There seem to be some owners who swear by Elecsol and some who swear at them based on previous threads on the emotive topic of leisure batteries and the point that I glean from this is that they are inconsistent? If you get a good 'un you are lucky and if you get a poor 'un you ain't!

Do you feel lucky - well do you!!

In 2008 we bought a new Auto-Sleeper Nuevo, our camping syle is non electric CLs, rallies & aires & upgraded OE 110 AH battery to a Elecsol 125 AH direct via on line. They delivered it the other side of Coventry to a dealer instead of my home address as promised miles from where we live. It started discharging itself during the warranty period. After many emails & calls my wife finally got through to a very rude male & told her "what do you expect after four years" when told but your product is guaranteed for five years he hung up.

I got to be honest as a hgv technician by trade I did not expect it to last five years, but a guarantee is a guarantee, but you do have your defective part to prove your point have'nt you!

Two things I learnt, vote with your feet & not all the best deals are done on line. One man bands? Dave Newall, an honest, knowledgible fella!

HTH

I've been selling Elecsol batteries for 7 years now and I've had four or five fail within the warranty period. Each one came back to me, I tested it and confirmed it as defective. After checking warranty docs and forwarding a scan of customer's copy to Steve at Elecsol was given go ahead to replace under warranty with no quibble. Last one was threee years old but as long as warranty terms are complied with we have never had a problem with Steve agreeing to a warranty replacement.

Best advice I can give regarding Elecsol is read and understand the warranty terms, send your warranty registration doc off to them and keep your copy safe 'cos if you have a problem you WILL need it. If you have a problem with the battery within the five year warranty period go back to the supplying dealer first but most importantly follow the procedure set out in the warranty terms.

D.

Airstream - 2012-11-25 8:21 PM

Hi,

No slur on honest one man or woman operations - just brows the Elecsol website - made to look like a huge international operation that manufactures batteries

Hmmmmmm?

Ray

Agree Ray.

Not to mention all the artistc licence and wild claims which cannot be substantiated.

Archived