Fiat Ducato charging

MickyP10

Hi, newbie here

I have a 1993 Ducato motorhome and trying to ascertain how the battery charging works. I can see plugging into the grid charges the leisure battery, and obviously with the engine running, the starter battery is charged (and fridge maintained if set to 12 volts), but is the leisure battery charged at all from the engine? I have the original paperwork from Compass but it seems to skirt the issue.

Thank you!

Hi Mike,

Does your control unit display the leisure battery voltage or if not do you have a multimeter?

If yes to either then watch the voltage and start the engine, the voltage should rise from circa 12.5 volts up to over 14 volts.

If you do not have a multimeter then I would suggest buying one, they start from as little as £10 eg https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-mas830b-digital-multimeter-600v/75337

Keith.

Hi Keith

Thanks for reply

I have a multimeter and if I connect it to the starter battery and start the engine, the starter battery reflects it is being charged - the leisure battery voltage doesn't change (unless connected to mains). I wondered whether if the starter battery was fully charged, alternator current would be diverted to the leisure battery. Do I need to go for, say, an hour's drive then couple up the multimeter to the lesiure battery and see what's happening? I just wondered what the 'stock' motorhome build practice was. :-)

OK Thanks for the update.

Most(!) MH's use a conventional 'Split charge relay' to control the charging of the leisure battery and they do not 'divert' charge from the starter battery to the leisure battery, they simply connect them in parallel. So as your leisure battery is not charging with the engine running you have a fault somewhere in the wiring.

Start by looking at the positive terminal of the starter battery for any obviously 'added on' wires. If there are then they will likely run to a small bank of fuses and relays. these will control the leisure battery charging and fridge 12 volt operation. Start by checking for blown fuses. Then swap relays to test for a failed relay.

Keith.

Update!

Hi Keith

Just had a mosey around the relays and (mini) fuse box beside leisure battery and noticed charging voltage was being applied to a fuse holder which didn't have a fuse! I think someone's put the fuse back in the wrong place. With it swapped I'm now getting charging voltage to both batteries.

Many thanks! :-)

(Now, of course, I'm wondering whether the now empty fuseholder should also have a fuse!)

Archived