Flexi solar panel removal?

I know I should have listened to wiser people on this forum saying don't install a flexi solar panel but being dazzled by the shiny paintwork on the new MH on the dealer's forecourt and the lack of a big flat space on the roof, I agreed to this accessory being installed on the sloping roof part of my 2018 Adria Coral.

It's worked well for two years as I mentioned in a previous post.

However, during the hot weather in May the panel stopped working and I ended up with two nearly flat batteries as our MH is on a storage site and we didn't go there during lockdown for several weeks. Fortunately the batteries have recovered after some CTEK TLC.

But I'm left with a useless flexi panel glued to the roof. I'm having a traditional mono crystalline aluminium frame raised panel fitting in the same area, over the top of the flexi (if I leave it in place).

It looks like the flexi is well and truly stuck down, not just round the perimeter. The roof of the Adria is polypropylene not metal.

The question is: Should I just disconnect it and leave it in place or attempt to remove it?

Are there good reasons for taking it off and if so, what's the best way to do it?

Would appreciate any wise words from Forum members and yes - it's another example of a failed flexi panel :-S

The first step should perhaps be to ask the dealer who fitted it what they used to stick the panel down because it if was Sikaflex it will be exremely difficult to remove. Simply disconnecting and leaving in situ should be safe enough. But you could also usefully ask if there are diodes installed separately because my (rigid) panels failed and it was simply a question of replacing the diodes to restore function. In my case the diodes were inside small component boxes behind the panels but with flexible panels they would need to be elsewhere. The diodes served to rectify the current or somesuch, which I never grasped, but they did allow for inexpensive repair.

Thanks Stuart. Yes, I'm calling the installer tomorrow but looking at the Solar Technology technical sheet for installation, they specify putting many lines of adhesive under the panel in a set pattern. No advice of course on how to retro remove the panel! The bonding agent they supply is Simson ISR 70-30 which is a Bostik product.

In addition the diode box is factory bonded/sealed to the panel and doesn't look replaceable. No spares advertised on their website either.

So I guess that installing a tray panel over the top is the only solution.

Lesson learnt!

I think you will find your roof is material is polyester based rather than polypropylene ( very difficult to bond to polypropylene).

If the panels are from Solar technology then they have a 5 year warranty, so it may be possible to take advantage of that fact.

Polyester is not 100% waterproof and trapped water may have long term effects, so ideally the existing panel should be removed. Its debatable if removal can be successful without damage to the roof surface, I guess its down to the skill and experience of the installer.

Fitting a rigid framed panel to the sloping section of the roof securely may be a challenge for the installer.

Just for information, the diodes StuartO replaced are bypass diodes, these allow the panel to produce partial output if there are shading issues. With a flexible panel there are usually encapsulated so difficult to replace.

The most likely cause of panel failure is overheating and resulting failure of one or more internal connections.

Mike

I was/am in an identical situation. My STI flexible panels failed after four years, like you the first that I knew of it was when my habitation battery was flat.

As mentioned, STI give a five year warranty and they have honoured this and provided replacement panels. I insisted on fixed panels! So, STI deserve plaudits for honouring their warranty. The problem with premature failure of STI flexible panels is well documented.

I am less fortunate than you in that Travelworld did not comply with the STI fitting instructions and did not apply a bead of mastic around the perimeter of the panels. They only applied small dabs at each corner and in the middle. The result was/is that water got under the panels and became trapped against the roof. This was compounded by the fact that Travelworld ran the cables through conduit that was glued to the roof. This obstructed the drainage of rainwater and directed it directly to the panels! The trapped water has caused corrosion of the aluminium roof of my Hymer >:-( , suggesting that the paintwork is inadequate.

No one can say at what point the corrosion started.. I would argue that it started soon after the panels were fitted. Hymer, however, disclaim all responsibility. I am still in negotiation with Travelworld but it does not look good and is likely to end up in the small claims court.

If you have the same panels as I they have two blocking diodes inside the little "acorn" that stands proud of the top of the panel. These "acorns" are completely filled with silicone mastic and one end of the diodes is soldered to the connectors to the wires in the solar panels. The upshot is that it is impossible to remove the diodes without causing terminal damage. I tried :-( .

My two pennorth? Leave well alone and fix your new panels over the top of the flexible ones. Unless you are short of payload. The flexible panels are surprisingly heavy

20200620_184725_1.jpg.8dd3ecc28d203f37dda9893665dd645f.jpg

Randonneur - 2020-07-19 4:46 PM

We removed ours that had been stuck on with Sikaflex with cheese wire, hardwork but was ok.

Another source of 'cheese wire' is a bicycle brake or gear change cable.

eg. £1.99 from Halfords... https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/bike-brakes/clarks-inner-brake-wire-641005.html or £2.00 https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/gears-drivetrain-and-cables/clarks-galvanised-universal-gear-inner-cable-652002.html

Keith.

Keithl - 2020-07-19 5:34 PM

Randonneur - 2020-07-19 4:46 PM

We removed ours that had been stuck on with Sikaflex with cheese wire, hardwork but was ok.

Another source of 'cheese wire' is a bicycle brake or gear change cable.

eg. £1.99 from Halfords... https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/bike-brakes/clarks-inner-brake-wire-641005.html or £2.00 https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/gears-drivetrain-and-cables/clarks-galvanised-universal-gear-inner-cable-652002.html

Keith.

Or even thinner wire - which may cut better, shark fishing stainless steel trace wire. Cheap too

https://tinyurl.com/y2yj3nr5

Jeremy

I fitted my own and when it / they failed I removed them fairly easily.

The adhesive used was Stixall.

They were fitted on the flat fibreglass? roof of my 2006 Autocruise.

This roof is quite substantial and supports the weight of a person up to about 75kilo so I was not concerned about damage.

I used a wallpaper scraper to slice into the sealant at an edge and then gripped the panel to lift it slightly, bending it in the process ( well, it *is* flexible. ) I kept pulling it up and slicing, pulling and slicing.

I have forgotten from whom I bought them but when I reported the failure, both times, they asked to see photos' of meter readings to show the failure. I had no trouble then receiving a replacement the first time and then a refund on the second occasion.

HTH

Harvey

Thanks all for the responses, yes the roof is polyester, got my 'polys' mixed up.

I've been in contact with STI who have confirmed the warranty is valid with the original installer.

But as we live 250 miles from the dealer that fitted the panel, I think I'll get the replacement locally and leave the original panel alone, there is a good bead of sealant all round the panel which should hold. The roof has a flat slope so the rigid panel should fit true when installed.

Fitting a new panel locally will on balance be cheaper as the warranty is parts only. Getting an installation date from dealers at the moment is also a problem whereas the local independent fitter is more reliable and certain.

I'll stick with framed rigid panels (excuse the pun) in the future. :-D

Matrix Meanderer - 2020-07-19 6:04 PM

I've been in contact with STI who have confirmed the warranty is valid with the original installer.

But as we live 250 miles from the dealer that fitted the panel, I think I'll get the replacement locally and leave the original panel alone,

Same problem. Travelworld are 350 miles away. STI dealt directly with me and, once they agreed, the panels were couriered to me within a few days.

Might be worth asking whether a fitter would be prepared to install panels that you provide. :-D

Archived