French emissions stickers.

fesspark

Tried to order one on line today, It would not accept my details entered due to something wrong?I am not a scanner/computer expert ,is there any other way I can order this other than on line, we are sailing to France 30th Aug.; ?

I was in France a few weeks ago and, on two days during my visit, I noticed that the majority of the vehicles I saw carried an ‘emissions sticker’. This should not be too surprising as the two occasions were when I was in the centre of Paris where displaying the sticker is obligatory.

The sticker scheme currently operates in Paris, Grenoble and Lyon, and it should be anticipated that French motorists living nowhere near those cities (or who know they will not be visiting those cities) will not waste money buying something that they do not need.

fesspark - 2017-07-20 2:17 PM

all well and good,how do i purchase one if im,e not internet taught?

If you are not planning to visit Paris, Lyon, or Grenoble, you will not need the sticker. If you may go to any of those cities, you will. The application page begins here: http://tinyurl.com/kbnh2pt (should lead you to the English language pages)

A postal application form is available, but is only applicable to French registered vehicles, so via the internet is the only way for UK registered vehicle.

You need to be able to attach with your application a scanned copy of the first two pages of your V5C registration document (or log book). If you don't have a scanner, isn't there someone you know who has one?

To be clear, it is not a paper copy that is required, but an electronic scan saved to your computer as a .pdf file.

You may be able to do this at your local library (if you still have one!), possibly for a modest charge, but you would need to take a flash memory stick, to which to transfer the .pdf file, so that you can take it back home and then transfer it to your computer and save it somewhere you can easily find it.

The instructions on the application pages are reasonably simple and easy to follow. You will be invited to attach the saved scan at the appropriate point in the process and then to pay by credit or debit card. You will need to enter your e-mail address, and will get an acknowledgement e-mail in return, in English, with a link to allow you to check progress. They will also e-mail you a receipted invoice- (in French) for the payment.

Thanks for all your replies, I do have a scanner and can normally copy or print to emails, but its slightly different to attach to someones ,document. Any way we will not be going anywhere near The 3 cities in question so I will not bother on this occasion

fesspark - 2017-07-20 11:10 AM

Tried to order one on line today, It would not accept my details entered due to something wrong?I am not a scanner/computer expert ,is there any other way I can order this other than on line, we are sailing to France 30th Aug.; ?

Have you got a scanner? If so set it to a low resolution.

I shall not be buying a French emissions sticker unless the scheme is extended to the places in France I know I shall be visiting (and if that happens there is more than a sporting chance that the present sticker scheme will be completely revised and existing stickers made obsolete - it’s the French way ;-) )

However, out of curiosity, I test-ran the sticker application procedure without much difficulty yesterday (up to the payment-point). As I use a Mac, scanning the V5C document and adjusting the file size is simple, but I did notice that entering the vehicle MAKE into the information form demands that certain characters not be used.

For some reason known only to the dealer that registered my current motorhome, its MAKE is recorded on its V5C Registration Certificate (Field D.1) as “RAPIDO S6/DUCATO”. The French procedure would not accept the “/“ character, but “RAPIDO S6 DUCATO” was OK. So, if inputting exactly what MAKE data are on the V5C produces a (slightly mysterious) error message, removing any characters that are not letters, number or spaces should overcome the problem.

Do have a look on line at the map of the area covered in Paris........................it is certainly very central and not a place I would consider going in a motorhome. The Bois de Bolougne campsite is outside the area

We have just returned from a month in France and the only vehicle I saw with a sticker was ours.

It seem the french don't bother, we took the A7 through Lyon into the tunnel and following the river Rhone and its not required, our friends didn't have one and they were ok

Seems its only the city centres, where most of us don't go anyway, even the Paris Peripherique is ok as long as you don't go inside it.

Bit like the breatherlsisers me thinks!!!!!!

John

fesspark - 2017-07-20 2:17 PM

all well and good,how do i purchase one if im,e not internet taught?

Given you are using this forum I suspect you are not as internet un-savvy as you think.

PS. For people without a scanner you can just take a picture of the document with your phone.

If it is of any use I found the process pretty simple, give it a try.

If you need help shrinking your image let me know and I will see if I can help.

Andy

Although I have a scanner. I'm not able to work out how to reduce the size, so I got my son to do it all for me under my email address. It was back in the post to me within a week.

Having just come back from5 weeks in France, we did get talking to a French guy, who knew all about them, and lived I think in Agen, but seemed to think that quite a few cities will be jumping on the bandwagon;. some of the Brits we spoke to were vaguely aware of them, but not many had actually got them. ,

I am amazed that it is a country wide disc for such low cost - cant imagine if the UK cities proceed on these line that they would do the same, and I am sure they will each require their own version at exorbitant cost!

Keith T - 2017-07-24 5:09 PM

Although I have a scanner. I'm not able to work out how to reduce the size, so I got my son to do it all for me under my email address. It was back in the post to me within a week.

Having just come back from5 weeks in France, we did get talking to a French guy, who knew all about them, and lived I think in Agen, but seemed to think that quite a few cities will be jumping on the bandwagon;. some of the Brits we spoke to were vaguely aware of them, but not many had actually got them. ,

I am amazed that it is a country wide disc for such low cost - cant imagine if the UK cities proceed on these line that they would do the same, and I am sure they will each require their own version at exorbitant cost!

Yes and if every city/large town go down the route of this vehicle tax and you have to have a screen sticker for each one how will we see out of the windscreen?

Fesspark’s motorhome is a 2014 Burstner Nexxo 55, so its motor will be at least Euro 5.

A French emissions sticker apparently cannot be issued for private cars registered before 1 January 1997, ‘utility' vehicles registered before 1 October 1997 (petrol) or before 1 January 1997 (diesel) , or two-wheeled vehicles registered before 1 June 2000.

Presumably the on-line application procedure relating to vehicles registered in France will be able to automatically reject an application for a vehicle having a ‘too early’ registration-date as access to the data on the French registration document should be immediately available. Do you know if automatic rejection will also be the case for vehicles registered outside France?

Quite right - I did a ‘test run’ of the on-line Vehicles Registered Abroad application procedure and, when I entered a Date of first registration of 31/12/1996, the following highlighted-in-red message appeared

"Your vehicle does not meet the criteria for an air quality certificate. The date of registration certificate must be greater than 1 January 1997."

Archived