Glow plug dash light.

4cls

The glow plug light on the dash of our 07 reg.Fiat 2.3 130 multijet does not illuminate constant, it blinks when the ignition is switched on, and does not go out when the engine starts. The engine is a pig to start when cold and when running the light still blinks. After 10mins on the road it will go out. Stop the engine for a couple of mins and the light will commence to blink when started. My garage, who look after the M/H when needed have investigated as much as they can, terminal blocks cleaned, a relay swapped? and the harness checked over, The man says there is a communication problem some where in the system but admits to being slightly flummoxed. (I bet they wont be flummoxed when I have to pay the bill!) Anyone had this problem on their vehicle and how did they get over it. :'(

Here is a quote from Nick a long, long time ago...

euroserv - 2011-10-20 11:40 AM

Hello Folks,

The glow plug warning message on 2.3 engined X250 vans does not normally indicate a problem with the glow plugs!

There is a very common fault with chaffed wires in the loom under the nearside headlamp. This causes an undesirable earth which the computer assumes is a faulty glow plug. It will take an hour or so for a competent auto electrician to find and repair.

Nick

Hope this helps.

Keith.

Thanks for that Keith,

It's as true today as ever but it is also not completely impossible that you do actually have a glow plug fault. Most occasions where the light is staying on for a while are not accompanied by poor starting but since yours is; consider either of these....

a) There may be a fault with the glow plugs

b) It is very cold outside and therefore the plugs are doing what they are supposed to do and are running for 20 seconds after starting. If starting is difficult it could be that you have a weak battery.

In almost all cases of a wiring fault there has also been a message displayed on the instrument panel "Check glow plugs" at every start.

Nick

All of you, Thanks for all advice etc, the Battery was new last year and shows a healthy 13.8 on the meter. There is no notice on the dash screen advising of a glow plug fault. only the flashing icon. Fiat in Exeter have advised that It could be a relay problem and say that moisture from the scuttle can corrode pins etc, they have sent a new one which will be fitted Monday. The harness has been inspected that is under the nearside headlamp and seem ok.

Well just in case the relay is not the fault (it won't be) I will give some pointers on what to check next....

Remove the NS headlamp and take the cover off the fuse box. Use a screwdriver to release the clips for the fuse holder board and lift it up. You will find a blue plastic connector. VERY carefully lift it up and out from under the fuses and inspect it VERY CAREFULLY. These do get corroded and sometimes cables can actually pull out of the connector. This is fine if there is only one but much more of a problem if more than one come out!

This connector is known to those in the know as 'Rusty Junction'.

If you do find a damaged cable you need to find out which wire on the other side of the connector mates up to it and make a joint past the connector. The colours of the wires are not the same on each side so if you get more than one to repair it is very easy to mix them up. Hence the caution.

If there are no problems at the plug then the wiring looms on either side of this junction have to be unwrapped and checked wire by excruciating wire until you find a short or break.

It is such a common problem that I can almost do this job in my sleep!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Nick

Nick, It was the huge looking relay that was at fault, they looked at the 'rusty junction' and that was fine-quote! The dash icon light comes on for 3 secs and then goes out. bingo, first time start. Many thanks for your advice, much appreciated. :-)

Archived