Habi door lock

ColinM50

Since we're all getting bored with nothing to do, thought I'd instigate a thread on an issue that bugs me about my M./H and most/all others I've looked at.

And that's the habi door lock. All modern cars, vans etc have lockable doors from the key fob. You close the door/boot, press the button and all doors are locked. Vice versa to unlock. A doddle eh and so simple

Bu why not on m/h's?

Surely (I know don't call me Shirley,) it can't be THAT hard to fit a suitable handle and lock and link it into the central locking system?

Anybody tried it or have and suggestions/ideas?

TIA

Colin,

My immediate thought would be that I do not want the cab doors to unlock when I unlock/open the hab door for security.

How about fitting a stand alone remote system to just the hab door? They must be available quite cheaply nowadays?

Keith.

I think it was MMM October/November 2019 there was an article about how to do just that in a Swift I remember it as I'd just got my 196 and thought it was a good idea.

If you don't have access I'II see if I can find the article for you.

Hi - Remote locking has been a feature on MH's for many a year, it just depends upon what level of spec. the MH actually is ! Our mfgt 2008 Bessacarr E695 (Swift) along with many other mfgt's do'es have this as Std. ie:- a 3 button remote - 1 to lock all doors, 1 to unlock the Habitation Door with 3 rd to unlock the Cab Doors Only !

Suppose it depends upon what spec. (cost?) you choose to purchase ?

Take care,

Dave Adams

Keep it simple is my motto (KISS). I don't have central locking on any of my doors and don't want it. How difficult is it to lock the main exit/entry door with a key ???

Met a British couple on a French campsite who managed to lock themselves out with the keys still in the van. They had central locking. Cost them an arm and a leg to get it sorted.

niktam - 2020-06-07 11:25 AM

I think it was MMM October/November 2019 there was an article about how to do just that in a Swift I remember it as I'd just got my 196 and thought it was a good idea.

If you don't have access I'II see if I can find the article for you.

The MMM article was on Pages 179-182 of the November 2019 issue, and the motorhome involved was a 2016 Swift 664 Lifestyle model.

(My 2015 Rapido 640F has a 2-button remote key-fob and the habitation-door is included in the central-locking system.)

Thanks for the advice chaps. Bought the Nov issue on line, God MMM make it hard to buy a single issue, big advert says £0.99 but when you click Buy it suddenly goes to £5.99 - the £0.99 is only if you take out an annual subscrition and it's not easy finding how to do it. Anyway got the article but in the index it's shown as page 179 but in realty it's page 197 and trying to print the relevant pages is "a challenge" in the modern vernacular to say the least.

Anyway, I've now got something to read, after I've had a lie down. (lol) Thanks all

Archived