Halogen to LED

steveandlisa

Yes we have replaced the two halogen bulbs in our Autograph 740 (same light fitting) to LED's. Just take a bulb out and compare on line, (Its the flat 2 pin fitting) or even better, go to one of the Warner shows where the likes of Alten lighting are trading, and they will help you. Its a simple cost effective energy saving change.

Dave

You can guy cheaper than from Aten Lighting but as I bought mine from Aten lighting 10 years ago and they've been well used without problems I'd buy from again. Aten must have been one of the first to supply 10 to 30v regulated LEDs for motorhomes and caravans

From what Bailey Bob has said above, the halogen bulbs used by Bailey are likely to be the G4 type shown in the upper image attached below.

Which LED replacement bulb to use will depend on how the halogen bulb fits in the light-unit and the design of the light-unit itself.

The Aten Lighting website advertises a range of G4 LED bulbs and replacement of motorhome/caravan G4 halogen bulbs usually involves using the side-pin type shown here

https://www.atenlighting.co.uk/caravan-motorhome-lighting/g4-leds/side-pin-g4

with the lower image attached below showing an example.

It will be necessary to check the wattage of the halogen bulbs (likely to be 10W or 20W) and then to choose a suitable LED replacement. The Aten Lighting-marketed LED G4 side-pin bulbs have a diameter of 20mm, 30mm or 36mm, but the light-unit may well restrict which diameter of LED bulb can be shoe-horned in.

Light-units designed for G4 halogen bulbs often incorporate a reflector, but this won’t be effective when a side-pin LED equivalent is fitted. Consequently, if a G4 halogen bulb has a wattage of (say) 20W and suitable-diameter LED bulbs are offered as ‘20W equivalent’ but with more than one light output, I suggest that the higher output version be chosen.

White LED bulbs are marketed with a “Warm White” or a “Cool White” colour. The Warm White type provides a colour closer to that of a halogen bulb and, in my opinion, is much more appropriate for a motorhome’s living area. Cool White for kitchen or bathroom lighting perhaps, though (having tried both types) I’d always opt for Warm White.

As Paul has said, cheap 12V LED bulbs are widely available, but the bulbs marketed by Aten Lighting have a excellent reputation for quality and longevity.

(A caveat - presumably the centre lights of a 2012 Bailey Approach 740 aren’t ‘dimmable’?)

1551959645_G4halogenbulb.jpg.e6000208c49bb10d360cc9c568c3057d.jpg

2017327035_G4LEDbulb.jpg.a27e9e4c9313227d4e73cbd9c81049ef.jpg

A small point but LEDs have to be fitted the right way around to work IE positive to positive neg to neg.

It may be that your light fitting could be wired t'other way around if you are fitting a non reversible bulb like the one above, could cause a problem as the wires in the holders have to be swapped over to provide the correct feed.

Or buy LEDs with a rectified circuit. Roadpro helped me rectify is problem with bulbs they sold.

So maybe check that the bulbs can be fitted to any circuit regard less of polarity.

Rgds

Archived