Hearing failing!

Barry38

My wife and I have some difficulty in hearing our conversation in our Autocruise Rythm when we are on the road.

We find we are unable to have the radio on whilst on the move and now that we have sat - nav. fitted we can often mis-hear the audio instructions.

I don't want to resort to a rally car system with head phones and a microphone built into a crash helmet - I think it would upset my wife's hairdo and she might object!

Anyone got any practical ideas? I have seriously considered more cab insulation but not sure how well it works or how difficult it is to install effectively.

I also cannot have a radio on, neither indoors, its due to our natural hearing losses cutting out the high frequency's resulting in almost single tone reception , the only way I can overcome it is to use the very small earpiece buttons, that is if your radio has an outlet.

On my satnav (the cheapest TomTom), I have a sharp Australian monotone voice that's near perfect. The answer is to match a voice to suit our individual hearing. (obviously)

I doubt any form of insulation would work as the sound is bouncing around inside your space and the harmonics will be for ever increasing, the advantage of the buttons is that the sound is then directly into the ear.

We found you can either converse, listen to music, or hear the sat nav but not all three at once so our solution was to turn the radio off, mount the sat nav atop of the instrument binacle just below the drivers direct line of sight and turn the sound off. Directions show up on screen and you soon learn to look at the sat nav to avoid missing a turn and we found the relative peace and quiet much easier to converse in!

OH has hearing aids, and has no problem with the satnav, or for that matter any hearing now.

Me , I have a problem with accents , and low sounds, Music and high sounds are very load for me. So I often have the words on TV, which does not go down well with others! The NHS hearing aid I have is not much good, so am thinking of having to go private, regardless of cost. So any one who has done so, perhaps can recommend a supplier? and what the cost is likely to be.

PJay

It all depends on how much of your hearing you have lost and what you are prepared to do.

After working in sound many years ago I suffered some hearing loss due to wearing headphones which were louder than the sound levels on the theatre. I first had NHS hearing aids which I was very thankful for as I could join in conversations which I had difficulty hearing before.

After a couple of years with NHS aids I realised that I was still having some problems and visited Boots hearing where I got some "Phonak" aids which listen to the ambient sound and adjust themselves automatically to reduce engine noise and lift voice. The difference is amazing.

You are looking at over £3k though.

Cheers

Thanks Bernie. The local NHS are having problems getting audio staff now. I guess they paid more for private work My OH is waiting for new ones, which they have in, but not the staff to fit and adjust , so still waiting I will look at Boots and I think Specsavers may do them.

PJay

I don't disagree with any private tests or suppliers but so much of life today is trickery into 'cleverly manipulating' the individual to avoid the NHS provider who is quite capable of assessing the individual.

I see through most of the downright false information for which why I'm known to disagree 'often' especially the latest offering by that 'Sir' gentleman who should know better.

And yes its going to be £3,000, but I rather like the quieter side now.

PJay - 2018-12-04 12:05 PM

OH has hearing aids, and has no problem with the satnav, or for that matter any hearing now.

Me , I have a problem with accents , and low sounds, Music and high sounds are very load for me. So I often have the words on TV, which does not go down well with others! The NHS hearing aid I have is not much good, so am thinking of having to go private, regardless of cost. So any one who has done so, perhaps can recommend a supplier? and what the cost is likely to be.

PJay

If yours are not much good then go back to where you got them from and get them to adjusted. My first ones came from the Hospital Audiology and the present ones are from Specsavers and are not a patch of the previous ones. Won't be going to Specsavers again. Present ones are Siemans, previous ones were Oticon.

Randonneur - 2018-12-04 4:55 PM

PJay

If yours are not much good then go back to where you got them from and get them to adjusted. My first ones came from the Hospital Audiology and the present ones are from Specsavers and are not a patch of the previous ones. Won't be going to Specsavers again. Present ones are Siemans, previous ones were Oticon.

Martin

I have always been sceptical about specsavers for glasses, so maybe not them. I only have one , they felt I did not need 2. Think I will wait until after Xmas, before I do anything. Our local hospital used to have a walk in clinic, but not now, have to make an appointment.. Been looking at the various advertising , some offer free home trail, which I think I need.

Will have to spend the money we are saving by not having to pay storage, tax , insurance and service charges for the van came to about £2000.00 per year

PJay

Go back to the NHS they have some very good hearing aids available. I'm profoundly deaf in the high frequency's rising to severely deaf at the base, the ones they have supplied me with give me the ability to hear reasonably well most of the time. I've tried private ones and they were very poor and expensive .

Different NHS authorities tend to have contracts with different suppliers so one may only supply Siemens aids and the next from a different company. Usually those aids from whichever company are not the top of the range.

I had Siemens aids prescribed by Lincoln hospital and as I said above I was happy that they did help quite a bit. The difference in the Phonak aids I use now is that they can be programmed to do all sorts of things automatically or with a small intervention from the user. Examples are the ability to turn of ' down the rear microphones and by "talking to each other" concentrating the reception to one side or the other and putting a dominant sound source into both aids. (that way you can concentrate on one speaker in a crowded room).

I play keyboards and had about given up as I couldn't hear well. The NHS aids were a great help but since I got the Phonak aids I have really got my interest in music back. This brings me to the other benefit of my current aids. I can use my mobile phone via bluetooth to my aids both for calls and listening to music at my prescription.

Whichever way you choose to go I would recommend that if you have hearing loss in both ears even if one is not particularly bad it is best to use 2 aids. One on its own can be quite disorientating.

Cheers

It seems it is the same around the world when your hair goes grey! Some years ago I contracted a virus in my right ear that left me with just 2% hearing in that ear so I hear in mono now. Like Tracker Rich we travel with sat nav & radio off and enjoy the country side in silence, well as much silence as a Ducato allows. I found that "Karen" on my Tom Tom has the voice that suits my hearing best when I do sometimes turn the volume on in the Sat Nav usually only in Europe. Although her phonetic Italian is often a challenge! cheers,

No personal experience (hopefuly for many more decades) but one of our researchers works with Phonak in developing user interfaces. He is deaf himself and wanted the best to be even better. He demoed some of their (experimental at the time) interface to me and the amount of settings you can change (via phone/tablet) is amazing. Possibly the most interesting, and eye opening for a normal hearing person, was setting up "scenes" as in: in the car, various concerts, conversations with females/males, bar/restaurant, conference, tv etc. Basically it sets up the hearing aid in dozens of parameters to suit a particular environment/scenario as well as allowing the user to adjust each parameter further. But the sheer number of combinations is too much for most people to adjust on their own so that's why all the work on user interface design.

Setting it up is aparently something rarely done properly when (old) people get them and why many choose not to wear them. I remember my grandpa and grandma throwing them away after a few days because everything was "noisy". Had they been set up properly it shouldn't be the case.

Anyway, maybe this trivia helps someone.

Guest jonse06
Accept you could need Hearing aids, Go get them looked at, I now have two, My wife can still hear a pin drop,look at the re- chargable Phonax mdls or get the NHS ones for free

Bob and his wife may need hearing aids but that will amplify the noise from the van.

Thick carpets help, especially in the cab, but other than that, noise suppression pads used to be the go-to solution in years gone by - NoiseKillers were one firm often quoted.

This thread may help:

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Noise-killers/4723/

If the noise comes from within the habitation area, lots of foam padding where it rattles, use of rubberised not slip matting in cupboards. I lined one of my cupboards with the foam from a camping mat. A thick tea cloth between the hob and any rattling glass cover.

Tracker - 2018-12-04 11:33 AM

We found you can either converse, listen to music, or hear the sat nav but not all three at once so our solution was to turn the radio off, mount the sat nav atop of the instrument binacle just below the drivers direct line of sight and turn the sound off. Directions show up on screen and you soon learn to look at the sat nav to avoid missing a turn and we found the relative peace and quiet much easier to converse in!

Yep, that works for us too...

K ;-)

My hearing aids came from our local Hospital, NHS they were very good, when it came time for them to be tweaked my Doctor said I now had the option of Specsavers under a new system, I agreed to this and now my aids are from Specsavers and they are excellent, great service, I can call in at any Specsaver shop anywhere for new batteries, tubes and ear pieces or service all on the NHS, I also get my Spectacles from Specsavers too and also great service price and choice . so it is 10/10 for Specsavers, a happy customer.

Archived