Height barriers, your opinions.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Height barriers, your opinions.  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Hello boys and girls, following on from another thread, can users give their views on the issue of height barriers as they affect them, or not as the case may be. Please do not think this is about so called wild camping, just access to the same places that the average car driver able bodied, or disabled has.

You may not want this to go down the wildcamp route but one has to remember that the only reason that they have put a height barrier up is too stop travellers and wildcampers from taking the P**S. Travellers and indeed wildcampers "CAN" be ther own worst enemy.

Just saying

Guest 1footinthegrave
Well this was an attempt prompted by another forum member who is disabled to see if this could be taken forward and gauge opinions on the issue, perhaps I should have included "I don't care I always go over the channel. ;-) or you wild camping lot are to blame :-S and to the other poster yes well spotted I just assumed beings that this is a forum for M/home users that that is what vehicle I was referring to, sorry I did not make that plain, I'm not sure how I can add "occasionally affected". and thinking about it we are only ever occasionally affected that's when we're out in the van as opposed to our car, and we come across one. ;-)

I've had to tick the "Do not cause a problem" option...

...because for our current style of usage, NEEDING to shoehorn the van into a carpark, isn't something that crops up that often to be honest(as we're usually on a CL or site within walking or short bus ride away from anywhere we wanted to visit).

However,if we were touring for weeks on end and were constantly on the move,then I could see how they would impact more....

(...the only barriers we have tended to come across, have been on quite small,backstreet,usually short stay carparks anyway...)

But as Keith pointed out it isn't just MHs that are affected by barriers...what about 4x4s & people carriers with roof racks/boxes/cyle racks?..or light commercials?...

The blame lies squarely at the door of the local authorities who have long had the power, so I am told, to move on pikeys, travellers, and any other filthy inconsiderate low life who desecrate our countryside but they lack the balls to do it as do the police who find it easier to sit in lays by in nice warm vans and catch soft target honest people who do pay tax and keep their vehicles legal but just happen to stray over the speed limits.

Do I sound cynical? I wonder why!!

Guest 1footinthegrave
pepe63 - 2013-04-17 3:41 PM

I've had to tick the "Do not cause a problem" option...

...because for our current style of usage, NEEDING to shoehorn the van into a carpark, isn't something that crops up that often to be honest(as we're usually on a CL or site within walking or short bus ride away from anywhere we wanted to visit).

However,if we were touring for weeks on end and were constantly on the move,then I could see how they would impact more....

(...the only barriers we have tended to come across, have been on quite small,backstreet,usually short stay carparks anyway...)

But as Keith pointed out it isn't just MHs that are affected by barriers...what about 4x4s & people carriers with roof racks/boxes/cyle racks?..or light commercials?...

Yes of course, but as this is a M/home forum that is the target audience for want of a better phrase. We have a local gentleman confined to a wheelchair whose adapted vehicle resembles the Pope mobile, I doubt that would fit under a height barrier either, if he had access to a motor home he would be doubly disadvantaged . :'(

And to IPS, one of the reasons given by our local council was fly tipping by vans and small lorries under the cover of darkness. Tyres being one of the latest ones, perhaps the "wild camping" issue is not the whole story after all, and still begs the question why some retail parks, surely these could juts be closed of a night ?

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-17 3:46 PM

.... We have a local gentleman confined to a wheelchair whose adapted vehicle resembles the Pope mobile, I doubt that would fit under a height barrier either...

To mind, this(the "Blue badge angle")would be the one that I'd be pursuing...and as it gets brought up on here quite often, I'm just surprised that those affected wouldn't have been chasing this up, already?...

..and enlisting the backing of any relevant group(s) which lobby on behalf of the disabled... :-S

We often use our 5m van instead of the car and the town centre barriers are a real nuisance. My wife is not disabled but if she has to walk too far her knee gets very painful and over a day the extra mileage of walking from the outskirts limits what she can do.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Muswell - 2013-04-17 4:01 PM

We often use our 5m van instead of the car and the town centre barriers are a real nuisance. My wife is not disabled but if she has to walk too far her knee gets very painful and over a day the extra mileage of walking from the outskirts limits what she can do.

Exactly our issue, my wife has severe Osteo-arthritis, but was turned down for a blue badge by our local authority, one place we used to visit locally in our van has to our dismay now had one of these infernal barriers newly installed, on inquiring why they cited fly tipping,although we never once saw evidence of it. >:-(

one of the reasons given by our local council was fly tipping by vans and small lorries under the cover of darkness. Tyres being one of the latest ones,

If the government had not brought in ridiculous charges for commercial waste dumping fly tipping would not be the issue it now is.

Easily resolved - stop charging firms and self employed for dumping waste legally and the loss of revenue would very likely go a long way towards offsetting the cost of cleaning up fly tipping.

Tracker - 2013-04-17 4:11 PM

one of the reasons given by our local council was fly tipping by vans and small lorries under the cover of darkness. Tyres being one of the latest ones,

If the government had not brought in ridiculous charges for commercial waste dumping fly tipping would not be the issue it now is.

Easily resolved - stop charging firms and self employed for dumping waste legally and the loss of revenue would very likely go a long way towards offsetting the cost of cleaning up fly tipping.

That's a very good point Rich..

Our local tip(sorry, "Recycling Facility"),introduced a permit system a few years back, along with an array of rules for what vehicle is and isn't allowed on site.(SWB Transit okay,LWB transit not allowed etc)

...and it doesn't have the facility to take any form of "trade waste" at all(...not even a few bags of rubble or garden waste)..and yet at the same time, they'll gladly accept the same waste,if it's being off loaded out of the back of 4x4 pickup or estate car?! Crazy... *-)

And instances of "fly tipping" has definitely increased since these changes.... :-S

Britain really is motorhome unfriendly, I have been to coastal areas in winter where there have been 3 car parks all with height barriers but not one car in any of them but a couple of motorhomes just visiting for the day parked up on the road.

I can think of many places we would love to visit but due to the lack of foresight by the local councils there are no parking places for us.

Why ? dont they need income into their towns or is the town council made up of B&B propriotors or is it just pure jealousy, afraid somebody is going to enjoy life just a little more than them.

We have given up on holidays in the UK, we just cant afford the overpriced campsites and parking. For the cost of 2 weeks in Cornwall we can tour abroad for 8 weeks where they do want you to visit and spend your money.

The one place we do stop at is Canterbury, they have an excellent facility in the Park & Ride for motorhomes charging just £2.50 per night with a free bus service to town.

We always spend a night there before catching the ferry and on average at least £50 each visit in the town.

When you think that you could have a dozen or so motorhomes at any one time visiting it is a very valuable income source for any town these days.

Come on Britain wake up.

RD

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-17 4:10 PM

Exactly our issue, my wife has severe Osteo-arthritis, but was turned down for a blue badge by our local authority, one place we used to visit locally in our van has to our dismay now had one of these infernal barriers newly installed, on inquiring why they cited fly tipping,although we never once saw evidence of it. >:-(

Onefoot. Did your wife appeal about the blue badge decision? It seems crazy to me that she doesnt have one. I know two people who were existing badge holders who were refused renewal recently due to tightning of the rules. they appealed and had to go for an assessment. Both were then given badges.

Anyway back on topic. They dont bother me as I have secondary transport (scooter on a rack). I just dump the van as quickly as possible and use the bike. It would be a nightmare in the UK without the bike though. If I was elderly or disabled even more so.

While my son was in hospital I used to visit with my van so he could get out of the ward and sit outside. Sometimes I took a steak and then bought chips from the cafeteria. During this period we got friendly with the parking attendant. One day a woman with a blue badge drove up, couldn't find a disabled spot, parked next to us and then walked briskly away. The attendant arrived a bit later, chatted for a while, then told us that strictly speaking she should have bought a ticket but he would let her off. Guess what we told him? :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
Barryd999 - 2013-04-17 4:43 PM

Onefoot. Did your wife appeal about the blue badge decision? It seems crazy to me that she doesnt have one. I know two people who were existing badge holders who were refused renewal recently due to tightning of the rules. they appealed and had to go for an assessment. Both were then given badges.

Anyway back on topic. They dont bother me as I have secondary transport (scooter on a rack). I just dump the van as quickly as possible and use the bike. It would be a nightmare in the UK without the bike though. If I was elderly or disabled even more so.

No she didn't appeal, she thought as she had a consultant diagnosis and a supporting letter from her GP would be sufficient, she's rather a stubborn lady and also reluctant to seek help, so getting her to make an application in the first place was a bit of a nightmare. :-( But in all honesty it's the height barrier thing when we're out and about in the van that is the real problem, and seems to be getting worse each time we go out, and of course sadly Osteo is a one way street as well.

It would be great if MMM picked up on this issue as well,and did an article detailing how it affects all leisure vehicle users.

I have an autosleeper on a MWB so fit in normal car park bays but cannot get under height barriers and it drives me mad. I do have a blue badge and use the camper both as a means of being able to get away and for day trips that would otherwise be impossible.

If I turn up at a car park with a barrier I always email the council to ask why and to explain how important we are to the local economy. If the reply involves words like travellers causing problems etc I will ask for further details under the freedom of information act i.e. dates problems, action taken.

As Lytham and St Annes are nearby I have been in constant contact with them about the problem (+ the local trade organisations) and had a number of letters published in the local papers. I have been missing for 2 yrs due to sever illness but now find that St annes are allowing overnight stays so perhaps it does work we just have to keep on at them.

In respect of blue badge use various organisations have got back to me with long winded answers basically saying cannot help / don't want to get involved. Also it would appear the goverment changed the rules a few years back re disability discrimination so that councils are required to provide disabled days but as long as the height barrier is a certain height they are not breaking any rules (neddless to say the height barrier minimum height is suitable for car but not campers)

Can I just ask that everyone even if not using a height barrier car park comes across any they email the local council to explain how much money they are missing out on. Also they have enough rules to allow for remove of traveller etc from car parks, its 'parking, on other types of land that under present laws give councils the problems.

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-17 6:11 PM

Barryd999 - 2013-04-17 4:43 PM

No she didn't appeal, she thought as she had a consultant diagnosis and a supporting letter from her GP would be sufficient, she's rather a stubborn lady and also reluctant to seek help, so getting her to make an application in the first place was a bit of a nightmare. :-( But in all honesty it's the height barrier thing when we're out and about in the van that is the real problem, and seems to be getting worse each time we go out, and of course sadly Osteo is a one way street as well.

It would be great if MMM picked up on this issue as well,and did an article detailing how it affects all leisure vehicle users.

I would definitely appeal. She will get one. I think all they do is sent you to a local hospital where they will talk to her about her condition and assess her disability. She deserves one so its worth half an hour of your time I would say.

Like Barry we use a scooter so they never bother me. However i do not like them much but understand the reasons people feel they need to put them up. The uk is not the only country where they are on the increase though, France now has quite a few, in the ski town of Chamonix, where I spend a lot of time in the winter months it is difficult to park a 4x4 let alone a m/h, pretty daft when almost every vehicle carries a ski box anyway in the winter. We over estimate the importance of the m/h community to tourist destinations in the uk, in Beddgelert the main car park has no barriers and you can easily park a m/h and indeed a few park up overnight, no one cares. How much money do they bring in and would it be missed if they did not come, well not much I reckon at present. I have seen more m/h at the start of this year around North Wales than ever before, including a lot of euro ones so they are certainly on the increase but will need a lot more to be noticed. Even in countries like France, so many nice aires, which a few of you have posted pictures of in the other post are largely deserted, how much money are they bringing in, well in the great scheme of things not much. Face it the m/h trade, certainly in the uk, is not worth the bother and expense of creating a whole new system for and doubt it ever will be even if every single town and village suddenly created a parking space. Do you not love it when people like Rich state they do not holiday in the uk because of the hostility shown, how does he know if he never does it, what hostility. I have never come across it and still take holidays in the uk every year, perhaps it is his attitude that brings it on. Caravans are far more important to the holiday business in the uk, their owners tend to stay in one spot longer and they spend money on the local site at least. As to the original thread, I repeat never had a problem with height barriers either in the uk or euroland, if i come across one just get over it and find a way to sort it out certainly do not throw my toys out of the pram and storm of in a huff.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Let's hope you continue to be able to use your scooter, perhaps when the time comes and you still want to use your vehicle but through disability by you or your spouse you then find you are unable to access areas because of height barriers you may take a more sympathetic viewpoint. (!) and "throw my toys out of the pram and storm of in a huff" is quite frankly an insult to everyone who is affected by this issue, my wife included who would just love to be able to storm off anywhere.

And although the poll is purely about height barriers why do you have to bring in your usual motor homes " not contributing much" to local economies yet again in a thread :-S you state that someone staying in one spot for a week is likely to spend more, but to be devils advocate would that still hold true by visitors to Llechwedd for example, I don't think so, someone stuck in a caravan isn't going to go there every day for a week, whereas a succession of Motor home tourists passing on a daily basis through the area would probably have that on a to do list and be the very reason they are touring any given area ;-)

To everyone I will be taking this matter forward to anyone who will listen, and hope at a future point to post the responses here, so thanks for taking the trouble for posting / voting..

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-18 2:21 PM

Let's hope you continue to be able to use your scooter, perhaps when the time comes and you still want to use your vehicle but through disability by you or your spouse you then find you are unable to access areas because of height barriers you may take a more sympathetic viewpoint. (!) and "throw my toys out of the pram and storm of in a huff" is quite frankly an insult to everyone who is affected by this issue, my wife included who would just love to be able to storm off anywhere.

And although the poll is purely about height barriers why do you have to bring in your usual motor homes " not contributing much" to local economies yet again in a thread :-S you state that someone staying in one spot for a week is likely to spend more, but to be devils advocate would that still hold true by visitors to Llechwedd for example, I don't think so, someone stuck in a caravan isn't going to go there every day for a week, whereas a succession of Motor home tourists passing on a daily basis through the area would probably have that on a to do list and be the very reason they are touring any given area ;-)

To everyone I will be taking this matter forward to anyone who will listen, and hope at a future point to post the responses here, so thanks for taking the trouble for posting / voting..

Well lets hope I can continue to do that but can assure you that if I cannot will still be able to apply some thought to the problem and deal with a height barrier, you seem incapable of doing this. As to the bringing the money side into it, I did not it runs right through the thread although some seem to think the barriers are some great deterrent to local business, dream on. I would rather they were not their, I did say this, but they are, deal with it. I tend to live in the real world, not some motorhome heaven where everything should be provided for us. We are a minority group, very minor in fact, so no one is going to get rich by pandering to us lot. Still if you feel so strongly about it, apart from shouting on a forum what do you propose doing to help matters along?

Guest 1footinthegrave
rupert123 - 2013-04-18 3:05 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-18 2:21 PM

Well lets hope I can continue to do that but can assure you that if I cannot will still be able to apply some thought to the problem and deal with a height barrier, you seem incapable of doing this. Still if you feel so strongly about it, apart from shouting on a forum what do you propose doing to help matters along?

The answer to that question is directly above your post, but that obviously does not matter to you,as you will " apply some thought to the problem and deal with a height barrier" should it prove to be a problem to you in the future.

With respect if you do not have a problem with them why could you not have simply said that and voted accordingly, and I simply cannot understand your comment SHOUTING ABOUT IT on this forum, I have just raised an problem that as you can see by the votes so far 83% find an issue ;-)

great that you don't, but is there any reason to denigrate me for raising it.

Archived