Hobby-and Warranties

Sophie2

We've had our Hobby Siesta since new in August last year. Overall pleased with the vehicle but too many Warranty issues needed addressing for our liking.

The dealers/engineers we've been dealing with for sorting out the issues (not the dealer we bought it from) have now lost their patience with the Hobby UK and Hobby DE as they have not been paid for Warranty work previous completed (not necessarily our vehicle) . I understand Hobby DE are now failing to respond to phone call emails etc. The dealers have now said they'll do no more warranty work for Hobby until the debts are paid.

I fully understand the stance they've made but of course that puts us (and presumably other Hobby owners) in a predicament to say the least.

Hobby's attitude is amazing to say the least, given the size of the company and its reputation.

I was wondering if other Hobby owners-or anyone for that matter-had expereinced similar problems and how they were overcome, if at all?

Interesting a similar thing occurred with a French-manufactured motorhome we had some years ago. In that case, because the repairer was the dealer we dealt with on purchase, it was sorted on a Good Will basis

Another case of now you've spent the money we (Hobby) are no longer interested?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks AliB

Yes I have contacted Hobby-no response yet to a question "is there any reason why xyz cannot address the Warranty problems" and in the vent of a "No" to go back and say "that's not what they say!"

But my Opening Post was to ascertain if any other Hobby (or other make for that matter) had experienced similar issues.

I hate to say it because I know it's not very helpful but that's one of the reasons we always by British now from the nearest dealer to our home. AutoTrail and now AutoSleeper have been very good in this respect. No matter how well a motorhome may be built the odds are on there will be some problems if only with equipment fitted. When we were selecting a new PVC last year we discounted two small British companies who had conversions we liked but required the van to,be returned to their factories for any warrenty work.

From experience, I know that German companies can be difficult to deal with unless you follow the correct procedures. I know that German companies sometimes find the British difficult to deal with because we are more concerned with outcomes rather than procedures. In time, respect and trust develops and the cultural differences no longer matter.

My previous Hymer dealer [Madisons later known as Hymer UK] and my current Hymer dealer [Travelworld] seem to get the prior agreement of Hymer in Germany before doing any warranty work. I get the impression there is a very good relationship between Travelworld and Hymer. If a dealer gets prior approval for warranty work, then problems should not arise.

Your contract is with the original supplying dealer but you do not say why you no longer use them. I would have thought they had the obligation to ensure your motorhome was fit for purpose. Without knowing the background, I would go back to the supplying dealer. I cannot see how you could intervene to reconcile a dispute between Hobby and your dealer.

A small but important point is that what you would like to be addressed may be different from what Hobby thinks it is obliged to address.

THank you John and Colin.

When we bought the vehicle from the supplier (about 10miles from our home) we were told that they would not be undertaking any Warranty work, but this would be carried out by another dealer, just a mile from them, who were authorised by Hobby to carry out such work.

There was no problem with the first couple of jobs from my perspective and I am assuming that the "Warranty" company was so authorised.

It was only when a third issue arose that I was told about what you correctly say is a "dispute" between them and Hobby.

On reflection I agree that I should be contacting the supplying dealer. THis I will do.

We had a Hobby Van imported from Germany by Bundesvan in 2007. We had the following problems.

1) After two years, damp in one of the "garage" access doors that was spotted by the UK dealer (since defunct) when carrying out the second water ingress inspections. The door was replaced by Hobby without question (though getting the correct colour decal through the dealer was a different - long - story). But, all was eventually fixed.

2) After four years, beads of water collecting between the two acrylic layers of the double glazed washroom rooflight, which (slightly to my surprise) Hobby agreed to deal with under the water ingress warranty. Work carried out by Southdowns Motorhomes of Portsmouth. No arguments over the replacement, or the work involved (which was very well executed), from either party.

3) After six years (actually about 5.95 years!), water ingress from the fixed overcab rooflight. Southdowns were notified by e-mail as we were in Italy when I found the leak, and the final inspection and repair were carried out following our return, without question by Hobby/Southdowns, outside the warranty period.

If your supplying dealer is a Hobby dealer he should be authorised by Hobby to carry out warranty repairs. If the repairer is not a Hobby dealer, I'm a little puzzled as to why he is authorised by Hobby to carry out warranty repairs. Something in this arrangement doesn't seem quite right to me. However, the supplying dealer is legally obliged to have the repairs carried out under UK consumer legislation, so it is his responsibility, and he must make whatever arrangements are necessary with Hobby to have the required repairs made.

May I suggest you contact Hobby UK to find out what is going on? They are not part of Hobby, but are a long standing Hobby caravan dealer who agreed to become the UK point of contact for the motorhome dealers for all parts/warranty claims. This changed about five years ago when Hobby decided to increase their UK presence and also to deal directly with the UK dealers on warranty matters, but with Hobby UK providing a "backup" presence. At that time many of the dealers were having problems with Hobby's warranty/parts system, which worked only in German. Unless that has changed, it may be contributing to the problems you are having.

As said above, German manufacturers are sticklers for procedure but, if procedure is followed, it seems they generally settle warranty issues fairly and reasonably promptly. At least, that was my experience in dealing with two UK dealers (neither of who supplied the van) and through them Hobby's warranty department.

Hope it helps. Do let us know how you get on, in due course. I thought Hobby very fair, but things do change, and it is worthwhile letting others know if a manufacturer changes his spots. You may find it useful to follow up your letter with a phone call to Hobby UK, as they may be a bit more forthcoming verbally than they would be in writing. I found them a little slow to respond, but very helpful once in conversation.

• 3 weeks later...

An update:

I spoke to my original seller of the vehicle who was somewhat puzzled as to why the Warranty work could not be carried out by the people "up the road" that he had told me about, and to whom he said I should take the vehicle . (hope that's clear (lol) )

He assured me that they WERE authorised by Hobby, but I could take the vehicle back to them (the seller) if I felt happy to do so, as they had the necessary Hobby expertise to deal with any issues.

A few days later I received a letter from Hobby UK (no phone call needed!) confirming that the original seller of the vehicle were authorised Hobby repairers and I should take the vehicle back there.

No reference was made in the letter as to whether the 2nd motorhome dealer was or was not authorised by Hobby and I am still not sure why I was referred to them in the first place by the seller. I plan to have an "off the record" chat with the seller( with whom I feel I have a cordial relationship) next time I see him-which will be soon-perhaps all will be revealed!

So-that seems to be sorted, though I'll need to take the vehicle to the "other" people for base vehicle servicing, who ARE approved by Fiat for such work *-) ;-)

The arrangement seems odd, but not withstanding that, as has been pointed out to you above, your contract is with the seller, not hobby or the other workshop, the same applies to your earlier van, 'good will' doesn't apply, it's their legal responsibility to ensure it is sorted..

There’s a "Dealer directory international” file that can be downloaded from here

http://www.hobby-caravan.de/en/motorhomes/overview-series/#dealerfinder

It includes a UK section (though - based on past experience - I wouldn’t bet it’s accurate!)

I can understand an official UK Hobby dealership delegating under-warranty work to another dealership that does not have a Hobby agency if that arrangement suited the dealership and the motorhome owner. However, I can also understand the Hobby factory refusing to pay for under-warranty repairs if a ‘non-Hobby’ dealership sends bills to the factory directly.

Hobby’s expectation would be that the vendor of a new Hobby motorhome would deal with any under-warranty claims or, if that were not practicable, another Hobby agency would carry out the work. If under-warranty work on a Hobby motorhome were to be ‘farmed out’, the bills would need to be submitted to Hobby(Germany) by a Hobby agency who would then pay whoever actually carried out the work.

As has already been observed the arrangement described above is unusual and it will be interesting to learn why under-warranty work was passed to another dealership when the vending Hobby agency could handle such work.

Hobby’s ‘watertightness’ warranty may also be worth mentioning. When I owned a Hobby motorhome this warranty involved a Hobby agency carrying out an annual check to maintain the warranty’s validity. Each time the check was made a voucher from the vehicle’s Hobby documentation needed to be authenticated by a Hobby agency’s stamp and sent by that agency to the Hobby factory. Failure to do this at any stage during the warranty period invalidated the watertightness warranty. If this procedure is still in place, it would be essential - even if the damp-check itself were performed by a non-Hobby agency - that the vouchers were acceptably stamped and returned to Hobby in Germany.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-11-05 8:10 AM

I can understand an official UK Hobby dealership delegating under-warranty work to another dealership that does not have a Hobby agency if that arrangement suited the dealership and the motorhome owner. However, I can also understand the Hobby factory refusing to pay for under-warranty repairs if a ‘non-Hobby’ dealership sends bills to the factory directly.

I think the above para hits the nail on he head Derek.

And thanks for the "heads up" as regards watertightness Warranty

Further to the above re water checks:

The vouchers I have in my possession require the damp checks and "tests for leak tightness" to be completed annually by the Dealer.

However there seems to be no requirement for anything to be sent to the Hobby Factory.

Things seem to have changed since your experience Derek?

Sophie2

I bought my Hobby motorhome in Germany in 2005 and I was told by the German dealer that it was essential that a properly-stamped ‘leak tightness’ voucher be returned to the Hobby factory by the Hobby agent that had carried out the mandatory annual check. However, it could well be that the procedure has changed since then, or even that the voucher-returning requirement did not apply to UK-purchased Hobbys.

I mentioned the vouchers in my posting of 3 February 2013 8:49 AM here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Vehicle-Warranty-1st-service/30202/

and you’ll note my comment about a Brownhills representative’s advice to me that suggested that the terms and conditions of a UK-bought Hobby motorhome’s warranty might differ from those of a Hobby motorhome bought abroad.

As Brownhills was the only UK agent for Hobby motorhomes at the time and I was reluctant to take a yearly 110 miles round-trip to the nearest Brownhills dealership at Swindon for a simple damp test (and definitely didn’t want them carrying out a habitation service) I chose never to have the vehicle damp-checked and the Hobby leak-tightness warranty lapsed accordingly.

If it’s 100% clear that your vouchers just need to be completed by the Hobby dealership carrying out the annual check and that’s all that’s required, that’s fine. If there’s any doubt I suggest you clarify the position with the seller during your chat.

Our Hobby Van was 2007, sold in 2013. All the damp checks were carried out as required and, as far as I know, the tear off portion was retained by the UK dealers doing the checks either for onward transmittal to Hobby, or for their own records while submitting the data to Hobby electronically. There was no written instruction that the dealer had to return them on the inspection slips, but I would imagine this information would be provided to the dealer at the time Hobby appointed them. However this was done, I was able to have three ingress related items fixed under warranty, all of which were authorised by the factory.

There may be a twist to Derek's experience with Brownhills. Can't remember who, possibly a Brownhills salesman at their now defunct Canterbury branch, but I was told they (Brownhills) did not have to return the inspection slips to Hobby, as they had agreed with Hobby to assume the warranty risk themselves in return for a larger discount. Who knows, but it doesn't seem impossible.

• 4 weeks later...

Another update:

I can confirm that it has now been agreed that any under-Warranty issues will be undertaken by my original SELLER of the vehicle.

So far as the "water-ingress check" vouchers are concerned.- yes one voucher has to be retained by the dealer and the signed copy/stub retained by the owner in the booklet.

Clearly the "other" (none-Hobby??) dealer was unaware of this and the document has now been properly completed by my seller, who in future will deal with habitation-related issues on the vehicle.

Thanks to all for comments/advice

• 3 months later...
Thebroons - 2016-03-15 8:25 PM

We are considering a 2015 Hobby Siesta t70 and was hoping for your opinion on the motorhome outwith the issues you were having.

Well...where do I start? Like all motorhomes I guess, there's a compromise. Most things we like-some we don't (ours is a T70HGE with garage)

The big attraction was the garage for the bikes and it is a great advantage as regards carrying stuff, access, and not needing to haul the bikes onto a rack or similar. Twin fixed beds, which we were used to, are fine. Slightly wider body gives plenty of room in lounge, and dining table opens out to easily fit 5 or 6.

4 belted forward facing seats for extra passengers (usually small grand kids in our case)

Manual drop down bed is fine and all works well and the youngsters find it excellent. Loads of storeage space for food etc

Fridge is great, especially for longer trips as it's a biggy. freezer is fine.

Down sides??

It seems Hobby don't do a vehicle which has garage AND decent wardrobes. Decent that is in terms of accessibility rather than space- although they could be larger. By that I mean you have to stoop to access the wardrobes which are at foot of, and beneath, the fixed beds. Dresses or longish clothes don't hang properly. Getting used to it as you do but. a bit of a faff and plenty of bending dowen.

On previous vans we've had corner kitchen. Ours is straight on, and because of tap position it's easy to accidentally knock it it and send water dripping/pouring into hob area. You have to be careful to position tap so this can't happen-would have been better if it had been place at far corner, away from hob.

You need to be quite tall to properly and safely view the gas oven which is atop the fridge. We are, so no problem there.

God willing, our next will probably be a 2 berth, and downsize a bit. But with a garage and decent wardrobes.

Hope that helps

Sophie2 - 2016-03-16 10:49 AM

Thebroons - 2016-03-15 8:25 PM

We are considering a 2015 Hobby Siesta t70 and was hoping for your opinion on the motorhome outwith the issues you were having.

Well...where do I start? Like all motorhomes I guess, there's a compromise. Most things we like-some we don't (ours is a T70HGE with garage)

The big attraction was the garage for the bikes and it is a great advantage as regards carrying stuff, access, and not needing to haul the bikes onto a rack or similar. Twin fixed beds, which we were used to, are fine. Slightly wider body gives plenty of room in lounge, and dining table opens out to easily fit 5 or 6.

4 belted forward facing seats for extra passengers (usually small grand kids in our case)

Manual drop down bed is fine and all works well and the youngsters find it excellent. Loads of storeage space for food etc

Fridge is great, especially for longer trips as it's a biggy. freezer is fine.

Down sides??

It seems Hobby don't do a vehicle which has garage AND decent wardrobes. Decent that is in terms of accessibility rather than space- although they could be larger. By that I mean you have to stoop to access the wardrobes which are at foot of, and beneath, the fixed beds. Dresses or longish clothes don't hang properly. Getting used to it as you do but. a bit of a faff and plenty of bending dowen.

On previous vans we've had corner kitchen. Ours is straight on, and because of tap position it's easy to accidentally knock it it and send water dripping/pouring into hob area. You have to be careful to position tap so this can't happen-would have been better if it had been place at far corner, away from hob.

You need to be quite tall to properly and safely view the gas oven which is atop the fridge. We are, so no problem there.

God willing, our next will probably be a 2 berth, and downsize a bit. But with a garage and decent wardrobes.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the info.

It's a T70hgq we are considering so it's the side French bed with full wardrobe at the side. It's got the garage but it's too low for our bikes so a towbar mounted carrier will be required.

I'm 6ft 6" so the oven is not an issue.

Do you find the fridge works just as well on gas and 12v whilst travelling as we mostly wildcamp.

Hi again

Absolutely no problem with the fridge on ehu, 12v (on the move of course) or gas.

We "outgrew" corner (french ) beds some time ago due to the night time excursions to the loo and climbing over each other for the purpose ;-) :-)

Archived