Injection system failure (amber light)

Earthmover

Hi Chaps,

My Fiat 2007 3Ltr lump as just thrown up an amber warning light for a injection system fault. The hand book says that it is still save to drive?. I have tried to book it in with my man with all the kit and spanners but he's off on a two week holiday tonight!. Any easy checks i can make myself in the meantime?. The engine appears to be running ok to me, revs ok, no blue smoke. Also how much oil does it take to fill the oil sump c/w oil filter change, I reckon it is 7.5 ltr's, but it still shows 2 bars short of full on the instrument panel? . Hard to see the oil level on the dip stick with new oil!.

Regards Em.

There are a number of things that this could be and it is definitely advisable to get it plugged into a Fiat diagnostic machine.

Wiring problems are common and bad earths cause many otherwise healthy systems to flag up faults. The main earth between the chassis and the gearbox is normally the culprit. You can test this easily by attaching one half of a pair of jump leads to the engine lifting eye and the earth stud at the top right of the front grille. With this one lead connected (and nothing else) you can start the engine and see if the warning light is still on. If it is not; you need an additional earth strap. If it does not, you need to get the diagnostic done. This would provide clues, not definitive answers. If there are multiple stored faults it would suggest a wiring issue. The fault would normally be found in the bundle of cables underneath the fuse box.

Nick

Doubtless others will say different but,

I would be inclined to get a ODBC reader , see what the message is, record it, (pencil and paper) then reset the error,

If the error comes up again, depending on time interval and circumstances, investigate more fully.

I had a couple of errors come up after a battery disconnection, then one reappeared when switching the lights on about 6 months later. Cancelled the fault and touch wood nothing has reappeared.

I do not know if Fiats are any more software buggy than other brands, but I seem to read more about Fiat false positive warnings than other brands of vehicle.

That said, I will probably switch on the ignition and be met with every warning light glowing!

Rgds

Edit Amazon Obdc reader about £25 .

Hi Nick,

Thankyou for reply, Been away in the Welsh Hills (not with M/Home), no signal on dongal.

Will give your battery lead tip, a try tomorrow and see what it throws up!. As i said the van seems to running as normal. Earth stud top R/hand side grille?, Not noticed one at all??.

Regards

Em.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

A quick up date on my injection system failure. I tried Nicks suggestion of connecting a jump lead to the Earth stud and the engine lifting bracket, but the light remained lit. But for no other reason other than it was a very sunny day!, I connected a solar panel to the starter battery using the Earth stud and the positive terminal under the bonnet and the light had gone out WHY!!,. 180 miles later it has not returned.

Hi Chaps,

The man with all the Kit and spanners was back off holiday yesterday and connected the motorhome up to his computer, which showed Two intermittent faults !!. Namely.

(1) PO335 Rmp, sensor,O. C. sensor ground/s.c .to +Vbatt or 5V, intermittent.

(2) PO235 Boost pressure sensor,S.C. to ground intermittent.

He has cleared everything and advised using the van and see if anything returns. The van has . never given me any cause to think anything was a miss. He will retest it to see if the same codes have reappeared when ever I want.

Perhaps Euroserve Nick could comment and advise on part No's and an indication of the cost of these 2 sensors should it become necessary to replace them. And/or any other comments please.

Thank you for every ones replies

Regards Em.

Earthmover - 2017-08-30 5:07 PM

But for no other reason other than it was a very sunny day!, I connected a solar panel to the starter battery using the Earth stud and the positive terminal under the bonnet and the light had gone out WHY!!,. 180 miles later it has not returned.

Nice warm, sunny day and the fault goes away, Hmmmm. Then the possibility of damp in your wiring loom or a connector is very likely!

Wait until a wet, damp day and see if it returns...

Keith.

Earthmover - 2017-08-30 5:51 PM

Thanks Keith,

A good point, but during those 180 miles I did run into some rain. See my later post and see if you can add to your observations.

Regards

Em.

OK, sensor Short Circuits and Open Circuits to Ground on TWO sensors occurring simultaneously is very unlikely to be actual sensor failures and almost certainly (IMO) wiring loom damage.

Suggest you check the loom behind the N/S headlight as posted in numerous previous threads.

Hopefully Nick will concur my diagnosis later :)

Keith.

Keithl - 2017-08-30 5:57 PM

Earthmover - 2017-08-30 5:51 PM

Thanks Keith,

A good point, but during those 180 miles I did run into some rain. See my later post and see if you can add to your observations.

Regards

Em.

OK, sensor Short Circuits and Open Circuits to Ground on TWO sensors occurring simultaneously is very unlikely to be actual sensor failures and almost certainly (IMO) wiring loom damage.

Suggest you check the loom behind the N/S headlight as posted in numerous previous threads.

Hopefully Nick will concur my diagnosis later :)

Keith.

Completely agree. Both devices are on the side of the loom that connects to injectors etc and it is most likely that a pair of wires are rubbing together. Careful examination of the wires inside the wrapping will hopefully reveal the problem. It is a laborious task but very common indeed on vehicles built between 2006 and 2010. Much less so on later vehicles.

Do a search and see my post for injection warning light. After connecting to computer it said boost presure sensor was the problem , however changjng this made no differance, the fitter then change air filter and deisel filter and this solved it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everybody,

An update on the orange light staying on. Well so far it continues to go out after start up!.

but I will get round to checking the wiring loom as suggested by Nick. I did have another Earth lead fitted as a precaution. With regards the Air and fuel filters, they were both renewed some 3,000 miles ago, but I may renew the fuel filter again just in case?. The problems you get with Motorhomes is like an itch you can't scratch. Thanks for all the replies

Archived