Insurance problems

Mickydripin

HI

I had an accident on a roundabout on the A47 near Yarmouth (Not my fault) I rang my insurance company to report it and they asked me if there were any injuries I said yes the next thing I know is I was put on to a company called Legal assist. I asked why I had been put through to them and they said that they were the right people to sort out my accident and injuries and they took all my particulars and asked me to sign a form/contract for them to proceed.

That was last Friday when I reported it,

On Thursday of this week I had an email from my insurance company asking why I have not reported my accident I rang them and said I had reported it they said that they have no report of the accident I told them that they had transferred me to Legal assist, They said that they do not know who Legal assist was.

I did not contact legal assist so it looks as tho I was conned.

First does anyone have any experience of Legal assist,

I signed the form/contract on Tuesday the 24th and cancelled it on Thursday the 26th How much time do I have to cancel a contract when I sign by "Adobi sign' on line.

Is there anybody that lives in Great Yarmouth that can help me with Picture of the A47 on this roundabout for the "right" insurance Co I will get back to them and tell them what I want.

Any help or revues on Adrian Flux (MY ins Co) or Legal assist will be gratefully received.

Did you ring the insurance company and then get transferred? Whatever check if you have details of who and when you called and get back to insurance company.

You might wish to read this from another forum.

I've been in a very similar situation where I was contacted just a few days after my accident. Again the only people to have the details were the police and insurance companies. In the midst of all the commotion I assumed they were contacting me after being referred by my insurer however I was wrong to think this.

It turns out someone at my insurer, who are a well known UK car insurance company, had passed my details to a "friend" at the compensation company. I reported this back to the insurer and their legal department and it was investigated. On the basis of this and the investigation the guy that had sent my details was arrested and prosecuted.

It is worth reporting to the legal or complaints department at your insurer as when I researched into it it appears to be a rife problem with insurers and compensation companies.

My insurer was very good at keeping me updated on the investigation and as aforementioned the arrest of the perpetrator.

These types of compensation companies, or ambulance chasers, thrive off this information and the more details they get about the intensity of an accident the more likely they are to pursue and then whoever passed your details on gets a pint down the pub. Unfortunately for me being air lifted off a motorway was something that caught their attention!

I didn't pursue any further compensation for the breach of data as I was happy that the matter had been dealt with and really just wanted to put that accident behind me!

Mickydripin - 2019-09-27 1:14 PM

. . .

Any help or revues on Adrian Flux (MY ins Co) or Legal assist will be gratefully received.

I’m not in a position to directly address your queries but just to clarify, Adrian Flux is your insurance broker and not your insurance company (underwriter). When you had your accident did you notify your underwriter or Adrian Flux?

colin - 2019-09-27 2:07 PM

Did you ring the insurance company and then get transferred? Whatever check if you have details of who and when you called and get back to insurance company.

Agree,

Check your phone records for the exact number you called then see whose that number is. If it was AF then phone again and see how they reply.

Keith.

A kind "lady" drove into the back of my wife's Volvo. They exchanged particulars and my wife drove home and the other driver awaited a recovery truck.When my wife arrived home 20 mins later she contacted her insurance company and at the same time her mobile rang and I answered her phone. Ican't remmber the name of the calling company but they were clearly working for the other driver's insurerers. They were desperate to gain info and supply a car before my wife arranged it through her insurers. They were very pushy but got nowhere.

To concude they got my wife's details from the other driver and no doubt wanted to supply the smallest rental car available.

Direct Line by the way were brilliant and confirmed in writing the same day that it wasn't my wife's fault and no loss of NCD.

Mickydripin - 2019-09-28 12:07 PM

When you had your accident did you notify your underwriter or Adrian Flux?

Adrian flux

OK – I think that this makes a bit more sense now.

Firstly I’d advise everyone to read their policy documentation and note the procedure for reporting accidents and especially who to call – the number should be on the Insurance Policy document that you carry in the vehicle.

Secondly, if you are using an insurance broker or insurance agent such as in the AA, Adrian Flux , Swinton, Comfort, Motorhome & Caravan Club etc, they may or may not deal themselves with your claims, it depends on the arrangement they have with the insurance company (underwriter), so in many cases when you wish to make a claim you will be dealing with the insurance underwriter direct and bypass the insurance broker.

Thirdly, it is common to receive a referral fee when referring accident victims to claims management companies such as Legal Assist. Vehicle recovery companies are often the primary source of such referrals. The fact that you appear to have called Adrian Flux and then have been referred to Legal Assist may infer that this is what was taking place. However, I would have expected that Legal Assist intended to primarily pursue a personal injury claim for damages because of the injuries you said that you incurred and also for any insurance excess you lost. So this makes me wonder if you also took out Legal Assistance cover with your vehicle insurance and that Adrian Flux were simply referring you to that having assumed that you’d already reported the accident to your insurance underwriter?

BruceM - 2019-09-28 12:52 PM

Mickydripin - 2019-09-28 12:07 PM

When you had your accident did you notify your underwriter or Adrian Flux?

Adrian flux

OK – I think that this makes a bit more sense now.

Firstly I’d advise.........

Secondly, if you are using an insurance broker or insurance agent such as in the AA, Adrian Flux , Swinton, Comfort, Motorhome & Caravan Club etc, they may or may not deal themselves with your claims, it depends on the arrangement they have with the insurance company (underwriter), so in many cases when you wish to make a claim you will be dealing with the insurance underwriter direct and bypass the insurance broker.

Following an accident in Spain earleir this year I am currently having to deal with two underwriters that Comfort utilise for their motorhome insurance. I have been with Comfort for many years and this is the first insurance claim I have ever made (for any vehicle) and to be qute frank it is a nightmare. Liability appears to be split between the two insurers DAS/Arriva and not surprisingly the documentation is quite ambiguous (intenional?) so claims are having to be duplicated between both insurers with minimal to zero feedback from either.

As for Comfort they merely process annual payments and re-direct phone calls/correspondence to which ever party they feel is appropriate - often getting it wrong. I spent a total of 10 hours stuck on the hard shoulder of a Spanish main road with 4 hours due to such a cock-up and 3 months on the saga continues. Not only do Comfort use two insurers they also, depending on the nature of the incident, use two different breakdown assistance companies (effectively the AA or RAC) which causes similar problems. Our initial breakdown recovery was an absolute nightmare with one assistance company agreeing to rescue then 3 hours later deciding they were not obliged too. Then an hour later after Arriva applied pressure they finally accepted responsibility!! The whole recovery took from 1pm till 11.30pm on a hot Saturday in late June.

A bl***dy nightmare which not surprisingly Comfort had/have very little interest in addressing other than passing you over to their third party insurers as they see fit. I still get their regular offers to participate in draws for free tickets to Motorhome Shows which constitutes 95% of their correspondence - the rest is simply requests/reminders to renew.

jak - 2019-09-29 11:42 AM

...Liability appears to be split between the two insurers DAS/Arriva and not surprisingly the documentation is quite ambiguous (intenional?) so claims are having to be duplicated between both insurers with minimal to zero feedback from either...

Comfort motorhome insurance policies are underwritten by AVIVA

https://www.comfort-insurance.co.uk/about/comfort-insurance-aviva

(Arriva is a bus company...)

while (optional) motor breakdown/accident assistance is nowadays provided by DAS

https://www.comfort-insurance.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/DAS-IPID-Comfort-20.11.17.pdf

Comfort Insurance’s switch to using DAS was mentioned here earlier this year

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Insurance-with-breakdown-cover-for-long-trips/51232/

As far as I understand it.

Most of the names mentioned are just brokers, they use underwriters for the actual insurance cover, and breakdown companies for recovery. Different firms can be used for legal cover, repatriation, hire car rental, contents insurance and loss assessment. And they rarely seem to share your details.

It may be worth browsing though the reviews for the “UK Legal Assist Ltd" company

https://tinyurl.com/y2qu8zop

Some of the reviews are very positive and some are very negative, but it seems that the latter may relate to cold-call telephone contacts that UK Legal Assist Ltd does not do.

In the FAQ section of the Adrian Flux website, the answer to the question “Do I have legal cover on my policy?” is

All of our policies include free legal cover. The legal policy can only help with accidents involving your vehicle. They will help to reclaim any uninsured losses.

Please note if the incident appears to be non-fault and:

- You need a replacement vehicle

- You have suffered an injury

- Your vehicle cannot be driven

- You have incurred uninsured losses

- You are seeking compensation for damage to your belongings

Your legal policy can help you.

The Adrian Flux website says:

CLAIMS

To report or discuss a motor claim or to make a windscreen claim, please call 0344 381 4420.

Lines are open 24/7, 365 days a year.

As Billggski says, it would be normal practice for an insurance broker to direct a client to the destination that could best deal with a claim, and not attempt to handle the claim themselves. But it’s to be hoped that the broker will explain to the client what he/she needs to do and ensure that the client understands the procedure and the reasons for it.

Some years ago, I contacted Comfort Insurance about an accident where a French motorist towing a caravan grazed the front of my then-Hobby motorhome when it was pitched-up at a French campsite. There was absolutely no argument over whose fault it was and, as the damage to the Hobby was slight, I said to the French driver “Give me €20 and we’ll forget it” - but he was insistent that his own insurance company be involved and pay for the damage.

I informed Comfort Insurance who directed me to AVIVA to whom I gave all the details, but I emphasised that this was only a precauitionary measure just in case the French motorist tried it on and, if I chose to make a claim, I’d contact AVIVA again. I never claimed (too much effort) and I heard no more about it from AVIVA nor from Comfort Insurance. However, I never forgive and, as I know the French motorist’s address in Alsace, in the unlikely event that I visit there I shall take €20-worth of Gilet Jaune-type revenge on his caravan.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-09-29 3:26 PM

jak - 2019-09-29 11:42 AM

...Liability appears to be split between the two insurers DAS/Arriva and not surprisingly the documentation is quite ambiguous (intenional?) so claims are having to be duplicated between both insurers with minimal to zero feedback from either...

Comfort motorhome insurance policies are underwritten by AVIVA

https://www.comfort-insurance.co.uk/about/comfort-insurance-aviva

(Arriva is a bus company...)

while (optional) motor breakdown/accident assistance is nowadays provided by DAS

Yes Derek, AVIVA not Arriva and I must admit the former were very prompt initially but since returning to the UK have tended to retire into the background directing me to DAS who as Comfort's policy advises :

Comfort Legal Protection is provided by DAS Legal

Expenses Insurance Company Limited. You are

now protected by the UK’s leading legal expenses

insurer. If you are involved in a motor accident,

face prosecution for a motoring offence, require

assistance in a contract dispute regarding the

insured vehicle or need legal advice, we are here

to help you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company Limited

(‘DAS’) is the underwriter and provides the legal

protection insurance under your policy. The legal

advice service is provided by DAS Law Limited

and/or a preferred law firm on behalf of DAS.

HOW WE CAN HELP

If you are involved in an accident which was

not your fault, we will help you recover your

uninsured losses from the person who caused

the accident, either through our motor claims

centre or by appointing a lawyer. Uninsured

losses could include the cost of repairing or

replacing the insured vehicle, your motor

insurance policy excess, compensation following

injury or other out-of-pocket expenses.

I read this as meaning that DAS would only deal with all additional uninsured costs over and above those itemised in the policy but alas that is not the case. DAS it would appear seem to deal with all monetary claim matters - not withstanding what is stated in the policy.

But I am learning rather painfully that what is stated in the policy should be taken with a huge dollop of salt. The overseas breakdown assistance/repatriation looks good on paper but simply does not work in practice - or certainly not in the manner implied.

I note questions being raised in earlier postings on the ambiguity in Comfort's policy and it is such ambiguities that have caused most of my problems.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, Thanks for taking an interest in my post I think that everything is being sorted now.

I was not being rude but things have been a bit hectic and I did not have much time to answer your questions.

My vehicle is in for repair and I do not know how long it takes for them to get several new parts for a 15 year old campervan.: Best regards Mike.

Archived