Inverter Suitable for Hairdryer

AndyLou

Hi

Could somebody recommend an inverter that would be suitable for powering a hairdryer?

I might use it for charging a laptop but mainly it would be used once a day for a short period to dry the wife's hair.

So nothing too sophisticated is required.

You need app 28 amps @ 12 volt d.c. To produce 1 amp @240 volts a.c. I would suggest a pure sine wave inverter to produce (clean) power supply as some hair dryers have microprocessors. Get one that has at least a 50% higher rating than the maximum power of the dryer. A 600 watt dryer will take something like 70 amps, all be it for a short time. A fairly new good quality 100 amp leisure battery will give you at most 50 amps of usable power it is recommended that you do not let a battery fall below 50% discharge as damage may result.

weldted - 2019-06-17 9:30 PM

You need app 28 amps @ 12 volt d.c. To produce 1 amp @240 volts a.c. I would suggest a pure sine wave inverter to produce (clean) power supply as some hair dryers have microprocessors. Get one that has at least a 50% higher rating than the maximum power of the dryer. A 600 watt dryer will take something like 70 amps, all be it for a short time. A fairly new good quality 100 amp leisure battery will give you at most 50 amps of usable power it is recommended that you do not let a battery fall below 50% discharge as damage may result.

Pure sine for hair drier, come on get real. Hair driers now have microprocessors? thats interesting, Will they be the same things that my modified sine inverter powers my laptop, tv etc. Unfortunately a lot of hype about pure sine, but a far as I am aware electric tooth brushes are the only items that do not like modified sine, so I stick with the manual version

You sarcastic comments are what stops people from posting, whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion good manners should prevail. If you bothered to read my post I suggested using pure sine wave, not that it was mandatory, it was stated that the inverter may be used for other purposes. If I don't agree with what someone else post I would put an alternative reply but refrain from dismissing their comments.

Dyson's hairdryer might have electronic control.

Anyway. I'd go for a pure sine wave personally. You can use it for anything then. I imagine power supply capacitors having a shortened life with a modified. Also motors and transformers run hotter.

sshortcircuit - 2019-06-18 8:33 AM

Yes, your ill mannered post is what puts people off posting. No more to say on matter as will not get involved with a spat.

"Come on get real" was hardly a well mannered way for you to respond though, was it?

Perhaps you were only writing carelessly rather than intending to be hurtful but even so, you should apoogise rather than bite back. If you can't take crticism take more care never to dish it out.

Well considering we have only 1 100ah battery it looks like I will have to pass on the invertor.

Does anybody know if there are laptop charges that work straight from the 12v?

Seems daft to convert DC to AC and then back to DC.

Absolutely, it’s what we do. There are plenty on EBay (eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Laptop-Auto-Car-Charger-Adapter-12V-80W-For-DELL-HP-TOSHIBA-SONY/183835394999?epid=10024722847&hash=item2acd7183b7:g:LuoAAOSwjexbl14I) . Just check your current laptop mains charger to establish the voltage and current rating required (it’ll be written on the charger) and ensure that the unit you purchase can accommodate it. My Toshiba for example is 19v 3.42A .

Andy&Lou - 2019-06-19 1:46 PM

Well considering we have only 1 100ah battery it looks like I will have to pass on the invertor.

Does anybody know if there are laptop charges that work straight from the 12v?

Seems daft to convert DC to AC and then back to DC.

May I congratulate you on making a wise decision.

As regards a 12V PSU you may wish to consider this one.

It is more expensive than that linked to above, but seems similar to the Kerio Energy Knight ,1 that I have used for many years.

I have seen the Kerio Energy Knight (Taiwanese origin) marketed under several different brands, but green and blue coding for the output voltage selection seems to be a distinguishing feature

Alan.

Archived