Keeping Fridge Running on Portsmouth to Spain Ferry

Cliffy

I was thinking about booking the ferry to Santander/Bilbao for next year when I read in MMM about the problem of the fridge not running on long ferry trips which I had not thought about. As we usually set off with a full fridge and freezer and considering the length of the crossing it is critical we keep it running.

Do Britinay Ferries provide EHU? If not how do we keep the food frozen?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there are no EHU on the crossing.

you could take fresh the food you want to freeze, pack the fridge with cold packs to keep cool, and freeze when you get there. We don't bother to take much in the fridge and shop when we get to spain.we usually buy some meat to stick in the freezer once we are there.

peter

Cliffy - 2012-10-08 9:21 PM

I was thinking about booking the ferry to Santander/Bilbao for next year when I read in MMM about the problem of the fridge not running on long ferry trips which I had not thought about. As we usually set off with a full fridge and freezer and considering the length of the crossing it is critical we keep it running.

Do Britinay Ferries provide EHU? If not how do we keep the food frozen?

On our longest ferry crossings - Newcastle / Bergen about 22 hours - and Newcastle / Gothenburg, about 26 hours - we just got it well frozen before we got on board - put some frozen bottles of milk and frozen drinking water in the fridge - and it was all still solid when we eventually reached a site.The only alternative seemed to be that we went shopping as soon as we arrived - but didn't fancy that. - (and the shops might not be open anyway ).

This was discussed 3 months ago

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=28319&start=1

when the the possibility of obtaining an on-board EHU was suggested. At the time I commented

"Has anyone actually managed to pre-arrange a car-deck 230v power-supply on the Santander route?

It's just that my long-time experience of Britanny Ferries suggests that it's the sort of thing that the company would be reluctant to agree to in advance of a crossing unless there were a very persuasive reason to provide it (like keeping vital medical supplies cool). I can't see running a motorhome's fridge falling into that category.

If a 230v power-supply cannot be pre-arranged, and it's decided to travel to Spain with a big fridge full of spoilable food relying on a ferry crew-member being persuaded to 'hook up' your motorhome on the car-deck, then you'd be a far more optimistic person than me."

My question remained unaswered, but peterjl has now advised that "there are no EHU on the crossing." It would be helpful to know if Peter has confirmed this with Brittany Ferries, or with the ferry crew. I'm not doubting Peter's advice, as I would have expected this to be so myself, but it would be nice to know for certain what the position is.

We have done the same as malc-d, but on the Ports to Bilbao.Then we put the fridge on 12volt as soon as we left the ferry. All of the contents were still frozen in the freezer part and the bottles in the other part were still 2/3 d's ice when we got to our first site. Just don't give in to the temptation to check the food before you get to your site and plug in to the mains.

A travelling companion (one trip only) however left his fridge running on gas on the ferry, when I found out and said that he had endangered us all, he just said that lorries left their freezer units running so why should't he.

Just PLEASE do not be tempted to run it on gas on the ferry.

Enjoy your planning and trip.

Mike

JudgeMental - 2012-10-09 8:39 AM

Why on earth would you travel to Spain with full fridge..............food cheaper and wonderfully fresh there

When I reach my first campsite I like to start my holiday, and ' chill out ' --- not go shopping.

;-)

Thanks to all your advice I packed the fridge really well and squashed in a few bottles of frozen water. Bingo! All still the same when we reached tother side. There are always a few little bits and pieces the old chap likes on holiday!

Many thanks all

Guest JudgeMental
OK you got me! I am intrigued...Whats are these little bits and pieces that your fridge is packed with, that can not be bought in Spain :-D

Having just booked a ferry crossing from Portsmouth to Santander for the first time, our thoughts ran to 'how do we keep the fridge cold'. I said to my wife that those knowledgeable people on the outandabout forum would know. So I came on this forum today to ask this very question! I knew that I wouldn't be let down.

John :-D

Guest JudgeMental
nona farm - 2012-10-10 8:04 PM

Now that would be telling! And opens up a whole new thread. lol :-D

OK.............Bacon? I can not honestly think of anything else :D

Guest pelmetman
Although off topic......Stuffing a fridge freezer is a fine art ;-)...................I have made a former to ensure we can get the maximum amount into our tiny freezer, which is frozen before going in the camper :D

P1000366web.jpg.304ed3ea370ccec8e48d0d03e8e26306.jpg

Guest JudgeMental
Cliffy - 2012-10-11 9:37 PM
JudgeMental - 2012-10-11 1:16 PM
nona farm - 2012-10-10 8:04 PMNow that would be telling! And opens up a whole new thread. lol :-D

Wensleydale Cheese?

oven chips? :-|

Guest JudgeMental
JudgeMental - 2012-10-11 10:12 PM
Cliffy - 2012-10-11 9:37 PM
JudgeMental - 2012-10-11 1:16 PM
nona farm - 2012-10-10 8:04 PMNow that would be telling! And opens up a whole new thread. lol :-D

Wensleydale Cheese?

oven chips? :-|
Ah got it! fish fingers! :D

pelmetman - 2012-10-11 10:02 PM

Although off topic......Stuffing a fridge freezer is a fine art ;-)...................I have made a former to ensure we can get the maximum amount into our tiny freezer, which is frozen before going in the camper :D

I take it that's Troy,s dinner??? Where does your Bacon and Cheese go?

• 2 years later...
Have always. Asked and been allowed plug van to ehu on the Rosslare/Roscoff crossing,can't see why it would be different on another crossing with Brittany ferries,I use my lead and I think it may be limited to certain number of vans.

I now notice that this issue was discussed in 2012 (and an answer provided) here

http://www.arvclub.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4369

The relevant advice given was

"Have just contacted Brittany Ferries re hook-up on-board. Some good news, because they have facilities for refrigerated lorries to hook-up during the sailing, it would be no problem for motorhomes to do the same! They do not make any charge but would require prior notice...I have been assured by Brittany Ferries that the hook-up connection is your standard 3 pin 16amp blue connector as used on all campsites."

I had a new clutch fitted in Portugal and our van was in the garage for four days without hookup,when we got it back the fridge was still cold and the freezer food still part frozen, of course the fridge had not been opened and was chock full, we did not have to dispose of anything so the ferry trip won,t be a problem if frozen and cold at the start,we never run our fridge on 12 volt when driving either as it is always cold enough from the previous use of gas overnight or last use,works for us.

Archived