Misty eyed Ducato

Albertslad

Well after it behaved impeccably on recent Italy trip, and was a pleasure to drive for 5000+ Km

I only h.ave one issue........

My X250 has a misted headlight, condensation or water ingress it would seem.

I read or heard somewhere that you can drill a small hole (where!) to cure this?

Any experience, and if I just get a ew one, how do I prevent it happening again

Cheers

Alan b

This 2012 forum thread mentions X250 headlamp misting

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Water-vapor-in-van-headlights/28419/

The thread includes a link to an earlier discussion, but the link fails to work fior some reason. I can vaguely remember it as I recall saying then that I’d noticed a Ducato X250 on an ‘aire’ one morning and both of its headlamps had condensation inside so serious that the water droplets were sparkling in the sun.

There’s another forum thread about this here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fiat-X250-headlamp/33780/

Neither of the threads mention hole-drilling as a cure, though I’m pretty sure it’s been suggested as a way to drain water build-up in certain Hella lights fitted to the REAR of some motorhomes (eg. the oval Hella lights fitted to my 2005 Hobby).

Thanks Derek, I appear to have contributed to that thread!

Also, Nick gave a solution, which I should have remembered.

As an aside, my only issue during the trip was the bulb malfunction warning light, which was correct, I.e I had a dud sidelight bulb: caused I think, by the very "aggressive" ramps on the Hull Rotterdam ferry ; second time this has happened

Cheers

Alan b

Robinhood - 2016-07-28 9:05 PM

Snowie2 - 2016-07-28 7:07 PM

........caused I think, by the very "aggressive" ramps on the Hull Rotterdam ferry.........................

Alan b

....aaah, the metal "chevrons"..............

Strangely, I don't remember this on Dover-Calais or Dunkirk-Dover crossings.

Alan b

I'll tell you what i do.....

Remove the headlamp from the vehicle.

Remove the main bulbs.

Pour a small amount of water into the lamp through the headlamp bulb hole.

Swish the water around inside so that most of the areas of misting or beading are picked up by the main body of water.

Tip the headlamp so that as much of the water as possible drains out.

Get a hairdryer and blow hot air into the lamp for 15 minutes or so.

Leave to air for a few hours.

Reassemble and put back in the van.

This normally works or at least buys you another year before you have to replace the lamp. Some are just not well sealed and are never going to be any good.

Nick

Thanks Nick; can I do this without affecting the alignment, or should I get that checked after refitting?

BTW; the van has been going beautifully since you changed the throttle body!

I was going to email you when we got back from Puglia, but I've been a little distracted!

Regards, Alan b

• 4 years later...

Old thread but the problem is bound to come up as the weather changes !

The offside headlight unit went from misty to droplets over a couple of hot humid days and cold nights.

On close inspection I can see where the moisture is getting in ( Highest point of the lens) so will need replacing.

As MOT was looming, I thought of a quick and dirty fix aided by advice above postings.

I drilled two holes (gently) Into the front of the headlight unit. At the highest and lowest points, the diameter of the drill was slightly larger than a football inflator fitting that came with the Halfords tyre inflators.

With gentle heating from a heat gun, and putting the inflator through the hole and blowing out the humid air with the tyre inflator . It took about 15 minutes to clear the droplets. The lense has remained clear after a couple of days, and I have sealed the holes with a smear of clear mastic.

Pleased to say that the lense is still clear and when I have a minute I will put in the new headlight unit and get the beams checked by the local garage.

Worked for me, but may not be suitable for others.

Rgds

Archived