MoHo insurance renewal.

malcy

It's that time of year again and after a day of searching out quotes I've found a very competitive one. My synicism/wisdom is wondering where's the catch as I've been quoted £100 less than my current insurer. The new quote is from AIB insurance and they told me the policy is with Highway insurance which is part of the LV group, so nothing too worrying there. But !! (always a but)

Anybody had any dealings with AIB and if so how did you find them, like I said my wisdom has so far stopped me from taking the plunge. I welcome your comments. (?) (?)

malcy - 2020-12-02 3:10 PM

Keith. Yes NCD is included. What is a NETT policy?

It has no element of NCD and does not accrue NCD to carry forward to another policy.

The price they quote is the price you pay and has already taken into account your driving experience and claim history.

The downside is if you try to move to a policy with NCD and then you have no NCD to carry forward so you are in effect a new customer and may only get a minimal NCD as a token gesture.

Keith.

Keithl - 2020-12-02 3:26 PM

It has no element of NCD and does not accrue NCD to carry forward to another policy.

The price they quote is the price you pay and has already taken into account your driving experience and claim history.

The downside is if you try to move to a policy with NCD and then you have no NCD to carry forward so you are in effect a new customer and may only get a minimal NCD as a token gesture.

Keith.

Comfort Insurance motorhome policies are 'net rated'. An explanation is provided here:

https://www.comfort-insurance.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/No-Claims-Bonus-Policy.pdf

Keithl - 2020-12-02 3:26 PM

Keith.

There are different types of policy that don’t apply NCD. The kind you refer to normally do recognise NCD and can transfer it forward to a new policy with another insurer. It also increases annually subject to Ts&Cs BUT the NCD has no effect on premiums. In other words, it accrues But is not applied. Another type is that typically found in classic car insurance which does not apply NCD nor is it accrued.

crocs - 2020-12-02 8:04 PM

There are different types of policy that don’t apply NCD. The kind you refer to normally do recognise NCD and can transfer it forward to a new policy with another insurer. It also increases annually subject to Ts&Cs BUT the NCD has no effect on premiums. In other words, it accrues But is not applied. Another type is that typically found in classic car insurance which does not apply NCD nor is it accrued.

My experience was a few years ago with a MH policy through Adrian Flux. After a couple of years with them I found I could get a better price elsewhere but was then told I had ZERO NCD from those years as it was a NET policy. The new company gave me 25% NCD as a new customer. This was significantly less than I would have accrued with a normal policy!

Keith.

Keithl - 2020-12-02 8:17 PM

crocs - 2020-12-02 8:04 PM

My experience was a few years ago with a MH policy through Adrian Flux. After a couple of years with them I found I could get a better price elsewhere but was then told I had ZERO NCD from those years as it was a NET policy. The new company gave me 25% NCD as a new customer. This was significantly less than I would have accrued with a normal policy!

Keith.

Yes, those kind of policies are rarely good value for mainstream vehicles, unless really inexpensive. I have a 1964 classic that insures comprehensively for less than £100 pa with no NCD accruing.

The Trustpilot website is a handy place to start when choosing a motor-insurance provider.

Trustpilot reviews are available for AIB Insurance (56 reviews), Adrian Flux (17743 reviews) and Comfort Insurance (2148 reviews).

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.aib-insurance.co.uk

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.adrianflux.co.uk

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/comfort-insurance.co.uk

Browsing through the “Bad” reviews is usually interesting, sometimes entertaining and occasionally makes me wonder whether the human race has a worthwhile future!

I renewed my van Insurance with the CCC and had a big surprise at the price saved many pounds, I had been with Comfort for many years and the renewal price in April this year was £440 Inc breakdown BUT I sorned my van at the time and let my Insurance with Comfort lapse at the time, I wanted to renew with Comfort in June this year and was quoted £880 again with breakdown, , you are a new customer now they said NO I am not I said GOODBYE .

That is when I tried the CCC and was quoted £340 without breakdown, I bought breakdown from another source full Europe etc £99 so well happy ,

I was very annoyed with Comfort , if they had told me at the time that by not re insuring in April I would become a new customer at a huge price hike I would of course reinsured then , so much for Customer service there me thinks,

I own vehicles (not motor-homes)in two other countries during Covid lockdowns. In both cases both separate insurers have voluntarily offered me a discount on my monthly premiums due to non-use of the vehicle. For MH owners of course it has been a period of zero travel. As anyone out there been offered a similar gesture by a UK insurer?

Not a direct answer to your question, but on 132 November this website

https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-insurance/coronavirus/

said

Is it true some insurance companies are offering goodwill gestures to their customers?

We’ve seen a few insurance providers offering money back and other goodwill gestures to their car insurance customers. If they are offering this, they will get in touch with you directly.

However, not every insurance provider is offering a goodwill gesture, so if you haven’t heard from them, you should check your provider’s website or contact them directly to see if you could receive a discount or money back.

This April 2020 “The Sun” article

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/11363864/refund-car-insurance-coronavirus/

mentiioned getting refunds, but warned that there was no obligation on an insurance provider to do this.

I've said this before, but at the risk of boring folk - if you got the quote on-line, I'd suggest trying to phone the company. Last renewal, my old company didn't answer numerous attempts. I know we're in "difficult times," but good companies will adapt. No use having a cheap policy if you can't contact them if you need to make a claim.

Archived