Multi Meters

potus4388

Hello All,

I wish to purchase a hand held multi meter to test my leisure battery, there are a multitude to choose from, no doubt most of you have one and I wonder which would be the best,without going to too much expense, to get??

Also, whilst doing the wild atlantic way, I was stuck without being able to recharge my leisure battery and it fully discharged, no sun so not a lot from the solar panel. I am now on EHU and have been for a couple of days, so the battery is showing fully charged. Will it battery still be OK and be useable, it is an AGM battery. Will it have recovered? I am hoping for the best as it is an expensive battery

If you are looking for something just to measure voltage, then almost any cheap (less than £5) multimeter would do. They are not that convenient though for current measurements as you need to break the circuit (by pulling a fuse etc) and insert the meter leads in the circuit.

By far the easiest way to measure current (and if you budget will strech to £30 or so), is to get one of these [url=] https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNI-T-DIGITAL-UT210E-100Amp-600V-AC-DC-CLAMP-METER-Multimeter-True-RMS-VFC-diode/283490531202 [/url] that I highly recommend. Clamp meters are not all the same and most will only read AC current. This one will measure DC current using the clamp (not by the leads).

I agree with pwlsm2000, that stretching the budget to a DC clamp style ammeter will be a good choice.

However as Spirou has already suggested, there seems to be something wrong with alternator charging of your habitation battery. (Allowing the habitation battery to discharge completely will shorten its service life.) When in touring mode charging from the alternator should suffice on its own, It may be that you stayed in one spot for several days without EHU, and as you say with little sunlight for solar charging, but if this is not so, I think that you may have an underlying problem.

Alan

Thanks for all your comments and advice.

We are moving on today after being on site and EHU for three days, the light on my solar charger is showing the leisure battery is fully charged(obviously from the hook up and there is still no sun!)and if I disconnect the hook up cable and then check the battery level on the habitation control panel, that is also showing the battery as fully charged.We will be wild camping for a couple of nights after today and I will be able to see how the battery holds its charge.

You can't deduce much useful info about battery state from voltage immediately after charging, or while discharging. You need to measure voltage at least 1h after any charge (solar included) or load was going through the battery.

Archived