New tyre blowout

Borderer

I took the advice of everyone and changed my rear tyres last week (They were 5 years old and had already replaced the front tyres last year). I had great service from my local tyre dealers and the Continental Vanco Camper 215/70 R15 (dated 48/13) were delivered within two days (price £125 each fitted, with metal valves). I had them fitted last Monday.They were inflated to 79.5 as the label on my door frame advises.

Today we took our Neuvo for a run today down the A55 to Llandudno. I drove at 50 - 60 mph, apart from the 50mph speed limit through Colwyn Bay. As I entered the 30 mph by Llandudno Asda there was a huge bang. I thought one of my springs had gone. I limped 200 m round the corner where the Peugeot main dealers just happened to be. I discovered one of my new tyres had blown with a big hole on the inner wall. I had driven just 40 miles on the new tyre.

Luckily I had a spare, not one of these tyre weld kits manufacturers like to provide nowadays, otherwise it may have been a train trip home. The main dealers changed the wheel for me and checked the underside.(£17 + vat...a bargain I felt as I didn't fancy hanging around for the RAC, or crawling underneath on a cold wet road).

Has anyone else heard of new tyres going like this. I don't think I ran over anything. In driving 21,000 miles in our Neuvo this is the first time I have had even a puncture, talk about a total blow out. Perhaps we were just unlucky.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad news indeed but better to happen like that than half way to France or Spain. First off I'd say get to a weighbridge and check your axle loadings. There are three main reasons for tyres blowing out:

1/ overloaded, kind of speaks for itself.

2/ under inflated, excluding a slow deflation of your tyre due to a problem with fitting we can possibly rule this out.

3/ manufacturing defect, not impossible but actually quite rare.

There is a fourth possibility but unless you have some very nasty enemies we can rule out the tyre being shot!

D.

The pressure sounds a bit high for Vanco Camper's that more like the pressure Michelin run at. Our Hymer run Vanco's 65psi on the rear 60psi on the front (our handbook says 80 for Michelin's on the rear). Your Neuvo is smaller & lighter I would expect the pressures to be even lower.

I'm not saying pressure caused the problem but could be a contributing factor.

Thanks for your reply.

At present the van is unloaded and with no water in either tank. We were just giving it a run out for the day so we should be well within weight limits. If I am overweight now I hate to think what a full summer loading would be :-( . I will nevertheless have the weights checked.

Borderer

80psi is an acceptable inflation-pressure for a 215/70 R15CP Vanco-Camper tyre - the same inflation-pressure 'rules' apply to Vanco-Camper as to Michelin's Agilis Camping 'camping-car' range.

You really need to return the damaged tyre to your local tyre dealer, ask him to inspect it and - if there are no signs that it was physical damage that caused the failure - instruct him to ask Continental for a replacement.

As Dave Newell says, tyre manufacturing defects are rare nowadays, but they certainly aren't unknown. A large hole in the inner side-wall suggests either a manufacturing fault or major damage.

Thanks again for all the responses.

I have already spoken to my dealers. They have already ordered a replacement, which they will have on Tuesday. They sounded very concerned (as you would expect) and asked me to take the blown tyre in on Monday. We haven't discussed cost yet, but I suspect they will deal with this sympathetically. I have used them for over 25 years and they are held in high regard in the area.

Hi Border

Sorry to hear about your problem but at least you was able to pull over safely.

I really think you need to get the van weighed a ask continental what tyre pressure they recommend .

I have continentals on my van and they suggested just 50 front and 65 rear

Do not miss the opportunity to take a lot of photos of the damage. If you can take machro close ups particularly of the ends of the damaged textile fabric in the walls.

Once the tyre goes back to the manufacturer you have no evidence for independent examamination if they disclaim responsibility.

Best of luck.

I have had this sort of blow-out once before on a car and it was proven to be the fault of the tyre fitter. What had happened was that the fitter had misused the 'bead breaker' when removing the tyre for a puncture repair and damaged the sidewall, which blew-out shortly afterwards.

dawki - 2014-01-25 9:26 PM

Hi Border

Sorry to hear about your problem but at least you was able to pull over safely.

I really think you need to get the van weighed a ask continental what tyre pressure they recommend .

I have continentals on my van and they suggested just 50 front and 65 rear

While it would do no harm for Borderer to have his Auto-Sleepers Nuevo motorhome weighed to confirm what its axle-loadings are, the only relevance this would have in this case would be if the loadings exceeded his Vanco-Camper tyres' design weight-carrying capacity, or if the inflation-pressures were either too low for the measured axle-loadings or beyond Continental's recommended inflation maximum.

It's most unlikely that a Nuevo's axle-loadings would get anywhere near Borderer's tyres' weight-carrying capability. As far as the 80psi pressure that was being used, this conforms with the advice of the European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation for "CP"-marked tyres fitted to a motorhome's rear axle. (Presumably it was a rear tyre that failed.) Continental's technical guide lists 80psi (5.5bar) as an acceptable maximum pressure for a Vanco-Camper in 215/70 R15CP size.

It's quite possible that, if Borderer obtained 'fully loaded' axle loadings for his Nuevo via a weighbridge and asked Continental to advise on what inflation-pressures he could safely use (or checked in Continental's technical guide booklet), he could use sub-80psi pressures - but that's academic here.

ETRTO recommends that 80psi be used for "CP" tyres on a motorhome's rear wheels, Borderer's Nuevo has a door-frame label advising 80psi and Continental approves 80psi for Vanco-Camper. Whatever caused this tyre failure, it wasn't because the tyre had been inflated to 80psi.

Borderer,

What valves where fitted with your new tyres?

Could it be possible that 'ordinary' car low pressure valves where fitted and it was actually the valve failing that you heard and that the tyre was then damaged in driving it round the corner to the dealers premises?

What state is the valve in now? If it is intact then my thoughts are nothing more than ramblings :-(

Keith.

Borderer - 2014-01-26 10:56 AM

Just out of interest here is a picture of the damaged inside wall

On the evidence of that, I agree with George, take as many, detailed, close up, photos as possible. Also, check the manufacturing date mark on the tyre. It is just possible it was older than should have been fitted. It is clear the sidewall has blown out, but there seems to be quite a chunk of tread missing as well, which might indicate you ran over something on the road on that edge of the tyre. Is this at all possible?

Tony,

Just a thought ... there's a couple of interesting straight lines shown on the far side of the hole.

I would examine them VERY closely with a magnifying glass to see if they are SMOOTH SIDED at the surface.

Anything is possible and should the answer be yes ... I await your answer.

Hi Brian,

The date is 48/13. As I said I don't think I ran over anything. I have only run it on main roads since the tyre was replaced, and road surfaces were good. I didn't kerb the tyre, and as you know the damage was on the inner wall. The outer tyre appears in good condition. I suspect some damage to the tear surround, including possibly the side of the tread may have happened as I ran flat to a stop. I left a line of tiny pieces of rubber on the road where I travelled to a stop. As you can imagine we are a bit non plussed.

Tony,

I'm an odd bloke and a large part of my life was trouble shooting within the motor trade so in order to find a reason for a fault I had to think opposite to the logical order of life.

My thoughts are ... and I think its dangerous of me to make assumptions but, there are two straight (ish) lines at right angles to the diameter of the wheel.

Why should they be straight, maybe they line up with the cord winding machinery that make the tyre. Maybe its coincidence that they just happen to appear as straight lines, maybe they are inline with standard tyre markings.

Maybe this is what happens when a tyre blows and any shaped pattern thus follows. I doubt its easy to locate someone who is familiar with these incidents.

I can make a further suggestion and have already done so to Brian so perhaps he could comment on my PM to him.

PS Thank you Dave. If straight smooth lines can be determined then its a criminal act and the law must be involved.

Tony,

How was your MH jacked up to fit the new tyres? Is there any possibility the jack or ramp that it was lifted on could have caught the inside of the tyre as it was lowered back down and split the side wall? It would be consistent with the radial 'cuts' if that had happened.

Keith.

In over 50yrs of driving cars, trucks etc (I started driving dumpers in a quarry when aged 15) i've never seen a blowout that neat, from the bottom of the tread to the beading looks like it's been cut.

Do me a favour Borderer, go and take a very close look, and I do mean 'close' at your other tyres and if poss a photo straight on.

edit just to say that I have looked again at your photo and re read it, I missed the bit about the blowout being on the inside of the tyre, so that would make my theory less creditable but like I said, that looks to neat.

Dave

Someone intent on doing damage to a tyre would choose the rear for safety as well as it being unseen, and if they made an error and went too deep any escaping air pressure would be away from the offender.

With an arm and hand extended around a wheel and tyre, in the dark and possibly kneeling or stooped, a knife would cut lines EXACTLY at right angles to the diameter as this appears to be from the picture. Speed would be essential, two or more quick lines by feel would take seconds. No checking would be possible, hence several cuts for maximum.effect.

Minimum depth lines across the rubber would be very easy to apply. In the picture there are two separate straight lined areas. If a Stanley knife had been used as has been suggested this could be adjusted so that only the slighted cut would occur.

Thats how I see it.

Archived