Niesmann Bischdoff or Morello, which is best?

flyboyprowler

I would really appreciate the thoughts of forum members as we are considering the purchase of a new N B Flair, or a Morelo Home. I know this sounds expensive, and indeed it is, but there are personal reasons for doing the deal. We visited the Dusseldorf show, and placed a provisional order for the Morelo, but I am having second thoughts, especially as a Morelo owner we met today in Italy said he was unhappy with his van, both technically and quality wise, albeit was an older (5 years) model. He recommended the N B, as being the better quality van, and it was a toss up for us at the show, between the two. The Morelo was heavily discounted which gave it the edge.

So, if there are any owners of either, would you please be so kind as to let me have your thoughts.

Many thanks,

Ainsley

Ainslie, suggest you have a look on motorhome fun forum, there are a number of owners of both models on there. Look at a thread that is currently running, travelworld, discussing the quality of both, think this is what you are after.

One had a flair and is now changing to a morelo, others swear by flairs!

Good luck with whatever you choose, both fantastic machines, can't imagine you being disappointed! We went to the factory at Polch to see the neismanns, v impressive place and well worth a visit if you are thinking of purchasing.

Best

Bill

dicksob - 2017-09-13 9:51 PM

Ainslie, suggest you have a look on motorhome fun forum, there are a number of owners of both models on there. Look at a thread that is currently running, travelworld, discussing the quality of both, think this is what you are after.

One had a flair and is now changing to a morelo, others swear by flairs!

Good luck with whatever you choose, both fantastic machines, can't imagine you being disappointed! We went to the factory at Polch to see the neismanns, v impressive place and well worth a visit if you are thinking of purchasing.

Best

Bill

Bill, thank you so much for a sensible reply, and will do as you suggest. We visited the Morelo factory last week and was also impressed, although they were actually on holiday with just a skeleton staff, but very friendly.

Kind regards

Ainsley

Ainsley, as I'm sure you know, premium motorhomes at Doncaster are the Uk dealers for Morelo, they have a Palace in stock and are demoing a liner at the October show. From what I've read and heard from others, they are really good honest people, you could visit/phone to discuss with them, especially their service manager?! They also do Carthago so would have a decent view of comparative quality.

Believe the people behind Morelo came from Concorde, so they should know what they are doing!

Bill

Thanks Bill,

So far Morelo have been really good. I have asked them to hold the order for a while, which they have agreed, so I can get further advice. Also the international sales manager was very helpful when we went unannounced to the factory. At the moment I am getting a 15% discount and an agreed 1.15 exchange rate, which makes the price considerably cheaper than the Flair, with no discount and exchange rate on the day. It makes an interesting (but expensive) package! I also like the Carthago on the Mercedes base. A lot cheaper, but a different animal!

I appreciate your help,

Ainsley

Concorde and Phoenix

https://www.concorde.eu/en/

http://www.phoenix-reisemobile.de/modelle/fahrzeuge/

would be realistic alternatives to N+B and Morelo.

I don’t think Phoenix has a UK agent, though Concorde does

http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/home.php

You probably need to ask yourself why the Morelo was heavily discounted, but I doubt you’ll be able to obtain the sort of advice that would ensure that you did not pick the ‘wrong’ make.

Yes, we looked at both the Phoenix and the Concorde, but didn't like the layouts particularly, a toilet separated from the bedroom being a priority. It also appears that dealers get very mixed reviews, but again, so far with Morello both in UK and Germany they have been fine. Travelworld also seem good, and I met their salesman at Dusseldorf, but he couldn't do anything on price for a Flair. To be honest, I am a little shy about going over 8 metres, due mainly to manoeverability, and if I go for the shorter Morelo hoime, I have to have single beds, and lose wardrobe space, which we need for future trips. It's a conundrum!!

We overnighted twice recently at the aire at St-Jean-sur-Mayenne, parked near a large French-registered Concorde A-class motorhome. This (just) managed to fit into one of the emplacements and was accompanied by a small car. There was no sign of a trailer or A-frame being used to transport the car, so I assume the policy was to leave the Concorde parked up, use the car for travelling around and then drive the motorhome and car ‘in tandem’ to the next location.

Also at St-Jean-sur-Mayenne (but last year) - a really large Morelo A-class turned up, but was much too long to fit into any of the emplacements so parked on the grass parallel to the site’s gravelled pathway. At this aire there’s a fee (about €9) for overnighting and this includes 230V electricity. The Morelo connected to one of the service pillars by leading across the gravelled pathway a hook-up cable that was then run over by motorhomes arriving or leaving the aire. My wife said that she thought a motorhome that large and expensive would be completely autonomous and not need a mains hook-up, but I explained that as mains electricity was included in the overnight charge a motorhomome owner - however well off - would feel compelled to exploit it. Just because someone is rich, doesn’t mean they won’t be tight-fisted...

dicksob - 2017-09-13 8:51 PM

Best

Bill

Bill,

The one thing that I took from the fun thread is that you can own the nicest, poshest, most expensive motorhome in the world but if you don't have the necessary support & repair infrastructure around when you need it then it becomes a mighty big pain in the rear.

Regards,

Andrew

Ainsley, it was interesting reading the interview with the sales director (?) of N&B re their capping the production levels despite greater demand to protect exclusivity, for me read no need to discount! Are you looking at factory order or stock buy, if stock would have thought more chance of discount/extras, levellers or air suspension??

I would ignore the Morello "discount" and compare the 2 net prices, it's tricky to see residuals for morello as so few about, but how long are you planning to keep it??

I've just spent the best part of £100k on my panel van conversion from IH, including full air, E&P levellers and the highest spec they have ever built, bonkers probably! But I can afford it and it suits our needs exactly!

Follow your heart, you know you want to!,

Regards

Bill

dicksob - 2017-09-20 8:47 PM

Ainsley, it was interesting reading the interview with the sales director (?) of N&B re their capping the production levels despite greater demand to protect exclusivity, for me read no need to discount! Are you looking at factory order or stock buy, if stock would have thought more chance of discount/extras, levellers or air suspension??

I would ignore the Morello "discount" and compare the 2 net prices, it's tricky to see residuals for morello as so few about, but how long are you planning to keep it??

I've just spent the best part of £100k on my panel van conversion from IH, including full air, E&P levellers and the highest spec they have ever built, bonkers probably! But I can afford it and it suits our needs exactly!

Follow your heart, you know you want to!,

Regards

Bill

The price was for factory order. Included in the spec were all the packages, and by the time we added a few "worthwhile" extras, compared to the price list, there is an approximate saving of about 15%, and an agreed exchange rate of 1.15. It would be ready around March of next year. I so wanted to like the new Le Voyageur, but it just doesn't seem to have the same quality as the Morelo, and costs around the same. There is a danger of going overboard on extras which will not be used, so we have been sensible there. We are going for the self levelling, and rear air suspension, posh wheels (an indulgence) but most of the extras were included as "standard" and a show offer.

We intend to keep this next van for many many years, so it has to be as right as possible!

Interesting about the N/B production capping, and no discounts, but that could drive buyers to look elsewhere. At present there is an approximate difference of 40000£ between the N/B and the Morelo, with the same spec. Talking to owners, the jury is out, so you pays your money etc.

I can't advise regarding the Morelo, as we haven't tested one. We did test a N+B several years back for MMM, and it was a nice motorhome, if very expensive - but we had concerns about the access and egress.

First, there was only one door, on the offside (N+B did offer a cab door, but only as an option). This could be awkward if, (for instance), you had to stop at the side of a motorway and disembark.

Secondly, the steps leading from the door were double, and faced slightly downwards, so care was needed when exiting, particularly if it was wet. We have heard of nasty accidents when people have slipped off such steps.

brom - 2017-09-21 9:35 AM

First, there was only one door, on the offside... This could be awkward if, (for instance), you had to stop at the side of a motorway and disembark.

And you would not be able to deploy those steps on a UK motorway for fear of a passing truck taking them out! They do seem to stick out a fair way!!!

Keith.

It seems probable that any A-class motorhome of the type Ainsley is considering will have at least a double extendable entrance-step. The vehicle will invevitably have a double floor for storage/insulation, elevating the height of the interior floor.

The attached photos show a double step on a ‘small’ Morelo model and a triiple step on a biggie.

2step.jpg.968ce8e7d1bb37eb84f6dae68c9c74e5.jpg

3step.jpg.fe55dfc994a46f4b898bff1563dbed27.jpg

Derek Uzzell - 2017-09-21 7:31 PM

It seems probable that any A-class motorhome of the type Ainsley is considering will have at least a double extendable entrance-step. The vehicle will invevitably have a double floor for storage/insulation, elevating the height of the interior floor.

The attached photos show a double step on a ‘small’ Morelo model and a triiple step on a biggie.

Wow, mines NOT going to be THAT big, and the mirrors on the "Home" are bus style and not the bulls horns that I don't really like anyway. As to steps, just a single one that fold under rather than slides, and I believe that they have to retract as soon as the ignition is on nowadays.

My next dilemma is whether to have the self levelling and the air suspension fitted by the factory, or have it retro fitted and save some cash! Also the alarm needs to be fitted in the UK, and also the tracker. Choices choices, I should be so lucky. :-)

Archived