No warranty on new motorhome

david1949

I thought you all might like to here my story bought a new motorhome from Brownhills 1/12/2010 Hymer on a Ford Transit all went well till Monday last week when i broke down and was took to a Ford garage i gave all the details to the service guy who then looked it up on his

P C he said to me can i see all your service records please. Well i looked at him and said i have none it,s new no sir it,s warranty started on 20/5/2008 and i have no service history for your vehicle so without a service history you have no warranty. I then rang Brownhills who spoke to the guy he then came of the phone and said i will sort it this time and this time only you will have to get this warranty sorted out A S A P. So when i got home i rang Brownhills they say that Hymer will have to sort it for me and they will contact them . I rang Brownhills again on the 9/4/2011 to be told that it is in Hymers hands now and they will tell them when it is sorted and in turn they will let me know so after i came of the phone i though i would ring Ford a 0845 number i got a recorded massage saying all there operators were bis and i was put in a Queue after 20 min i gave up i then sent a E mail to them and again this morning but still on reply . So my motorhome is May 2008 with no warranty and Brownhills says to ring them if i break down again you buy new but you don't get new well that,s all for now

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is pretty common and Brownhills should sort it out, they registered it when sold so are the only ones who can, it does seem that Hymer had this base in stock for a long time though. My last new van which I bought in April 2008 was sold to Swift by Fiat in December 2007 but when I bough it the dealer sorted all this out and I had a letter from Fiat confirming the warrenty start was April 2008.

This is very common. The convertor should have contact ford on registration as otherwise the ford warranty will start at the point that ford sell the base vehicle to them, only the convertor (Hymer in this case) can retrospectively ammend the warranty date with ford (apparently) its easy enough you send a copy of your reg document to the dealer who forward it onto hymer who then do the business with fords. After about 6 weeks or so your ford dealer will be able to see that the warranty has been ammended. I had to go through this.

Dont worry its an easy thing to rectify and very common.

You could check yourself by veiwing the vehicle details on the ford site link below. Works better if you enter chasis no doesnt allways recognise reg no. http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=8E60CC3315A96990946439985B5766F7.walv0673

PS - What was the fault with your trannie ?

Thank,s for your reply i have been m/homing for 20 years had 2 Ford,s and

6 Fiat,s and never had a problem with warranty before .

As for the fault well it just stopped dead in the middle of the road and would not restart i was waiting to turn right. Took them 5 hours to sort it out also there is a new steering rack to be fitted when the warranty is sorted it does a bit of knocking now and again . As for this time they have fitted a temporary wiring loom somewhere in the engine bay will have to go back next week to have new loom fitted when it arrives in i been told it,s a 2 day job as its a full rewire. Ps if you want to see the details of the vehicle P M me and i will sent you them i have tried to post then on here but run into a brick wall.

I once had an age problem with a new car I bought. It had been built about 21 months earlier. There were no warranty problems but there were others.

You can expect an early failure on items like the exhaust, possibly water pump, alternator etc. I paid market price for my vehicle (no part exchange) and Ispoke to the dealer for a discount (no joy), the Motor Manufacturers association and Renault UK. All I got was £250 in vouchers against servicing costs from Renault. If you did not get a good discount on retail price then I would pester Brownhills or speak to Trading Standards to clarify your position.

It would do no harm to get an independant damp check as well.

David,

Ford UK will normally adjust the warranty date to run for three years from date of first registration. if they are advised of that registration date.

For cars, sold through dedicated dealers, the registration date is easily advised, for motorhomes, whilst there is no excuse, it often falls through the cracks between the converter, the importer and the dealer. This appears to have happened in your case.

You may want to read:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=21195&posts=26

....which describes my similar experience, how I overcame it, and how the same process was followed by others.

Assuming it was registered as new on the date you picked it up, I would recommend you send a scan (or legible digital photograph) of the first two pages of the V5C (front and first inside), (and if possible of any Hymer document that shows the VIN number), with a covering note setting out the circumstances by email to the address I am about to PM you.

After getting the runaround through the Ford call centre, I finally got the email address for the correct department, and it was then sorted PDQ. Others have successfully followed the same route.

It may not help with the disruption, but you should hear from the horses mouth what your real warranty position is.

HTH

Guest 1footinthegrave

Why am I not surprised, having had a very similar cock up in the past I swore I would never venture near a dealer again.

Not much help for the OP but for those that want to be further depressed go here ( if you do not know of it already )

http://www.brownfools.co.uk/

Guest JudgeMental
One of the fist things you should have done when you bought the van was pop into a Ford dealer and make sure warranty had kicked in and you where on system...Buyer beware? Cavaet emptor? especially with brownills, what can I say!*-)

JudgeMental - 2011-03-10 1:56 PM

One of the fist things you should have done when you bought the van was pop into a Ford dealer and make sure warranty had kicked in and you where on system...Buyer beware? Cavaet emptor? especially with brownills, what can I say!*-)

I am now on my secong M/H and a lot more savvy than I was a couple of years ago, in part thanks to forums like this and 'some' magazines.

Please dont be too harsh on the OP regarding the warrenty process. For all we know this may be his first new van in which case it's unlikely that he would be aware that some base vehicle suppliers have the wrong details on their systems.

This happened to we when requiring warrenty work when, according to the log book, there was 18 months remaining. Fiat's system had the date of sale to the converter and it took me a while to get it sorted following the scanning and transmission of the log book to Fiat Cust services.

It was during this process, I realised I also needed to sort out the third year Fiat warranty.

Yes, 'Caveat Emptor' but it's only with experience we understand what it is we need to be wary of.

Rgds,

Chris.

Guest Tracker

That is a very unfair comment and very easy to make with the benefit of hindsight.

Surely when you buy a Hymer on a Ford from Brownhills - allegedly one of the largest UK dealers - who should know waht they are doing by now - you are entitled to expect the paperwork and warranty to be spot on accurate?

Guest JudgeMental

That was a general word of advice to anyone? Dont take a dealers word for anything, we are all grown up and should be able to look after our own affairs. the same thing happened with my Ford in 2007:-S

Tracker someone else had already pulled me up on this, someone with a lot more tact then you.... Trust you to jump on the band wagon, and try to inflame the situation! Just scurry of back to chatterbox where your inconsequential utterances can be ignored...

Guest Tracker

You really are an ignorant and unpleasant person Eddie.

Are you totally incapable of replying or making any point without being rude and insensitive to someone?

I have come to expect it from the likes of you but why do you have to pick on others who have never said anything that you disagree with?

Does it make you feel big or are you simply not man enough to be civil?

I was not rude to you to start with - although I did expect you to be nasty in return as is your nature - but now that you have been offensive to me and I have been rude in return shall we leave it there suitably tit for tatted?

Had exact same problem but quickly sorted.

Phoned Ford direct and sent copy of V5 by Email (fax would have been ok) and they changed it while I was on the phone.

Sorted within the hour without a single cross word. Very pleased with the service :-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Although of no help again to the OP, this simply should not have happened. It smacks of inefficiency and plain carelessness. Why when he has spent God knows what on a "new" van should he or anyone have to go through such a stressful situation. I despair at finding or getting good service anywhere, when you do it's like finding a blinding light in a sea of blackness. Oh well....

Guest JudgeMental
Tracker - 2011-03-10 4:22 PM

You really are an ignorant and unpleasant person Eddie.

Are you totally incapable of replying or making any point without being rude and insensitive to someone?

I have come to expect it from the likes of you but why do you have to pick on others who have never said anything that you disagree with?

Does it make you feel big or are you simply not man enough to be civil?

I was not rude to you to start with - although I did expect you to be nasty in return as is your nature - but now that you have been offensive to me and I have been rude in return shall we leave it there suitably tit for tatted?

Really...But it is you who starts it of EVERY TIME sticking your nose in and making of topic comments out of context. Just mind your own business. I am reporting you to Mods AGAIN for incitement to cause trouble and some of your recent comments on chatterbox will be in for scrutiny as well....You just cant help yourself you sanctimonious and pious creep

how many times do you have to be told to leave ,me alone??

Guest Tracker
All I did was politely express an opinion so you may like to review your own postings and you can then do what you like as I've said all I'm going to say on this.

Guest JudgeMental

I really dont know what kind of education you had or upbringing.... but I have racked by brains to find anything wrong with the above posting that gives you the right to accuse me of being the following!

" You really are an ignorant and unpleasant person Eddie. Are you totally incapable of replying or making any point without being rude and insensitive to someone? Does it make you feel big or are you simply not man enough to be civil?"

Now for the life of me where does your angst come from! I am afraid you need help.....

Guest Tracker
Tracker - 2011-03-10 3:14 PM

That is a very unfair comment and very easy to make with the benefit of hindsight.

Surely when you buy a Hymer on a Ford from Brownhills - allegedly one of the largest UK dealers - who should know waht they are doing by now - you are entitled to expect the paperwork and warranty to be spot on accurate?

Oh gee whiz you just can't let it rest can you?

Tell me what you found so offensive about the above that made you send such a nasty reply? I feel no need to reprint your nastiness as it remains for all to see

Others have had a similar warranty issue na - with hindsight - it won't happen to them again but that does not mean that someone who has not had the problem before should have been able to forsee it.

That is what I said and it is only your own paranoia that lets you see that as an attack on you?

NOW - can we let it go and move on please?

Archived